Thread: Carbon/Aramid(Kevlar) weaves

Default Carbon/Aramid(Kevlar) weaves

These are different weaves of carbon/Aramid that I have...I think pictures are very descriptive and maybe somebody with more knowledge on the subject can post more photos...links...information...in the interest of better understanding differences and advantages...

IMG_7320-001.jpg IMG_7322-001.jpg IMG_7323-001.jpg IMG_7324-001.jpg IMG_7325-001.jpg

Nice find now that information makes more sense when buying in bulk this stuff. That gk260 looks serious I want some.

Question, why mix Carbon and Aramid? One does not stretch and the other one is in the nylon family, anchor lines and bulletproof vests and does stretch. So on impact half of the weave stretch's and transfers all the load to the other half of the weave and breaks it because there is only half of the weight.

Quote Originally Posted by jcald2000 View Post
    Question, why mix Carbon and Aramid? One does not stretch and the other one is in the nylon family, anchor lines and bulletproof vests and does stretch. So on impact half of the weave stretch's and transfers all the load to the other half of the weave and breaks it because there is only half of the weight.
    Good point. Somebody with more experience...please, come forward :)

Its a good combinatien for low weight stif and ridged laminate.
    I use it in my hulls wich weigh normal 2900 grams when replacing 1 m2 280 gr glas with carbon/keflar 185 gr it saves me aprox 300 gram on a hull so its its minimal just as strong and stiff but only 2600 gr
    Only carbon can get you a light and stiff produkt but that is not optimal because it is so stiff it ease to crack /break in to splinters.
    So carbon is usualy mixed with glas layers or woven together with Keflar.

Gr Ramon

Sorry, engineering says it not as strong or stiff.

Well none of the carbon/Kevlar weaves were made for hull reinforcing. But on the material information, a lot of the application strength of products has to do with the weave. Layer, size of cross, tightness of weave ect,,,, and application is what these weaves are made for. The idea is pretty vast but in a nut shell combinations of materials will add certain characteristics to final product. Like rigidity, impact resistance, breaking strength, tensile strength, lateral/shear strength, weight, fracture profile, (like a fire hose is made to split not explode if overpressuered). I've used Kevlar/carbon but will just use carbon anymore as strength/weight is better and the Kevlar is really just going to keep it together (but does add strength too-but getting into the epoxies with that-and that is a whole new plane of strength) and I've never experienced any of my boats explode I to tiny shards.

My experience with laminating rcboats with epoxy resins over the last 10 years is that carbon/keflar , carbon and keflar cloth is the way to achieve weight reduktion .
    Also sandwich material between layers is very usefull in large flat area's like a deck.
    This sandwich can be core material ( also used in 1:1 polyester boats)http://www.lantor.nl/index.php/id_structuur/10598/ , depron or balsa wood.
    This gives more thickness an there for more stiffnes en less weight compared with the same stiffnes with full laminate.
    For instance i use 160 gr/m2 280 gr/m2 2mm coremat an another 280 gr/m2 in my deck constructions.