Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: what motor for a cf cheetah?

if it was pretty good how could Fred have run you over???? doesn't that kinda mean he had to be faster than you??? and I've run a SC.40 on 4s and it is a beast on 4s with a 1527/1d or a 1521/1.5d.
    We call ourselves the "Q"

Terry, you know, every so often the thought creeps into my head that I build fairly nice rigs, then I see yours, which causes me to go hide under the bed until I start to feel better
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    It's so close to a Sprint cat that I never thought about running it on 4s. I also butchered the rear end on mine to give it a little different look.

Attachment 107847

I have a giant rudder too. I have a 1/4" drive and started with the skeg but sawed it off before I shaved the bottom trying to free it up.

It was getting pretty good until Freddy ran me over.

We account for such moments here in D19

100_0191.jpg
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

Oh stop it Tony.

Mike, I said it was "starting" to get good. I was moving along quite nicely and flipped at the hair pin. A hooka! Fred missed me twice and picked me off the third time he went by. I think it was like looking into the headlights of on coming traffic. The boat went right where his eyes were pointing. I'm sure he and I will get tangled up again. We've been racing each other like our lives depended on it with everything from boats to hot wheels since we were 13. Neither of us gives the other a free pass......ever. Pretty sure it's my turn to saw him in half though.

haha Do you get a bereavement leave after losing a SAW boat? You should. All that time, effort, and $$$$ only to watch it scatter down the straight away. ugh

bla bla bla terry!!!! LOL

BTW always loved watchin u n fred race Q-sport hydro, you always knew somthin "exciting" was gonna happen!!!!!!

haha Do you get a bereavement leave after losing a SAW boat? You should. All that time, effort, and $$$$ only to watch it scatter down the straight away. ugh
    The carnage last weekend was understandable due to an apparent geothermal tectonic plate shift which seemed to have moved the center island somewhat closer to the middle of the course (Darin found it too)

DSC05102.JPG

Don't EVEN ask Brian about his brand new T rigger

It's so close to a Sprint cat that I never thought about running it on 4s. I also butchered the rear end on mine to give it a little different look.

Attachment 107847

I have a giant rudder too. I have a 1/4" drive and started with the skeg but sawed it off before I shaved the bottom trying to free it up.

It was getting pretty good until Freddy ran me over.
    I've been waiting to see how you were gonna change that T. Looks good, may turn even better with the rudder tighter in.

Wow, didn't even catch all this other text before posting. Oops

Quote Originally Posted by madmikepags View Post
    BTW always loved watchin u n fred race Q-sport hydro, you always knew somthin "exciting" was gonna happen!!!!!!
    He's still paying me back for dropping that 20 pound snow ball on his head when we were young. I'm still way up.

That explains a LOT Terry, just one question, was that before or after the plate in his head or is the plate there because of that?? Ok it was 2 questions!!!

OK sorry we totally hijacked this thread!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by properchopper View Post
    Terry,

While your at it in your discussion with TFL, how about suggesting adjusting the length to 34" instead of 34.25" for the P-Offshore (or P-Cat) folks - it could then run in either P or Q. Makes sense.

BTW I worried about potential hooking so I went with a "largish" rudder & a 1/4" skeg strut stepped to 3/16".

Turns right nicely but struggles ever so slightly on lefts

Attachment 107846
    Tony how much do you think the skeg really helps?
    Does Chip have a skegged strut on his?
    OSE GIFTING ELF
    HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!

Quote Originally Posted by kfxguy View Post
    Ill check mine tonight.
    Here's what mine looks like

20131112_211433.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by kfxguy View Post
    Here's what mine looks like

20131112_211433.jpg
    Hard to tell from your photo - try to take another picture - do it something like this with whatever works for you

Attachment 107898

It almost looks like there's a hook in the step but a better picture would help to confirm/deny this
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by monojeff View Post
    Tony how much do you think the skeg really helps?
    Does Chip have a skegged strut on his?
    Jeff, before I built Cameron's Cheetah I read on KBB that some guys experienced hooking in the turns. Then again they didn't use really deep rudders and how they drive through the turns can effect this as well. I prefer the big 60/90 Speedmaster hardware for a hull like this so I went both with the biggie rudder and the skeg strut to be on the safe side. The skeg undoubtedly helps but I have no data to tell if not having one is a disadvantage.

I don't know about Chip's setup - there's probably a build thread on his over at KBB.

tiqueman had this problem with his glass cheetah...its on here somewhere....he emailed the tfl guys and they said they would correct the molds as I recall....
    MY RETIREMENT PLAN?????.....POWERBALL
    74 vintage kirby clasic hydro, pursuit mono, mg, 47'' mono, popeye hydro...

Hard to tell from your photo - try to take another picture - do it something like this with whatever works for you

Attachment 107898

It almost looks like there's a hook in the step but a better picture would help to confirm/deny this
    Mine ain't even close to that. What yiu see is the straight edge flat against the second step, look at the big gap between the straight edge and third step. Its bad.

Attachment 107898

Tony do you have a flat board you can put your boat on as the ruler is hard to see whats going on from step to step.
    A flat table would be a lot easier to see from the side exactly how yours are.
    I will take some pics of mine this weekend as reference.

As for using the long rudder I have 1 I am planning to use on the build.
    I suppose I could always switch from non skeg strut to a skeg and see how it does either way.
    OSE GIFTING ELF
    HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!

Well I decided on a motor. I ordered the cooling jacket for it this morning. Castle 1717 1650kv out of the x-01. If its too much I can always go down on batteries. This motor will probably work good in the next boat im planning on building anyway.
    Last edited by kfxguy; 11-14-2013 at 12:07 PM.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Maybe I should just design a new 4s boat.

Maybe I should just design a new 4s boat.
    Why
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Sorry.

Once the sponsons are correct, these run great on 6s but I'm not sure about 4s. It's just a big boat. That's only my opinion though. Somebody already mentioned it's 34.5" I never measured mine.

Your 1717 should rip but you'll want to address that ride pad.

Sorry.

Once the sponsons are correct, these run great on 6s but I'm not sure about 4s. It's just a big boat. That's only my opinion though. Somebody already mentioned it's 34.5" I never measured mine.

Your 1717 should rip but you'll want to address that ride pad.
    Im gonna try as is. Maybe it will run good, maybe it wont. I hate to go messing with it not knowing where its at and I might make it worse. I did watch a few cheetah youtube video and one of them was running so wet im surprised it didn't submarine. It was throwing water off the front of the tunnel and the people in the vid though it was fast.....it was screaming but wasn't moving fast at all. Think my sons stock mini mono could have outrun it. He was on 6s too. Ill just have to see with mine. Im thinking about roughing the pad up. Tape it on all sides and pour some epoxy resin into that area to build it up. Flatten it then wetsand up to 2500 grit then buff it out. That's my idea anyway.

If I have to do the ride pads I'm going to tape some plywood to the ride pad that's cut to size and then sand that down. A lot better IMO then making permanent changes that could not work out well. It's easy to remove and replace if needed. This is what a lot of guys do on riggers.
    OSE GIFTING ELF
    HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12