Thread: Servo's

Default Servo's

What does everyone run? Any favorite's or models that you have had good reliability with? Just asking to get an idea on what's out there thanks.

I personally like Hitec. The HS-5646WP is waterproof, digital, metal gear, high torque and relatively inexpensive.

I've used mostly futaba but also use hitec and jr. I haven't had any of these fail yet. It seems to be more of a matter of getting one that isn't underpowered.

Cool

It isn't always just about power. Digital servos are an advantage with larger heavier boats. Other club members and I have occasionally had control issues with non-digital servos, since the analogs don't have a strong centering action. This can lead to hooking and poor directional control. In every case, switching to a digital servo of the same strength solved that problem.

BTW a club member who bought a high-end "waterproof" servo had it fail the first time it got wet - go figure. The solution of course is not to have a wet boat, which seems pretty basic.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

FUTABA or HiTec for me, Futaba in cars and boats and HiTecs in my planes, I've used thousands and thousands of servos over the years. and have never gotten a bad Futaba or Hitec servo off the shelf. I've had brand new Airtronics servos cost me races and equipment and recently I've used some Savox servos that I like but I've bought about 50 or so savox servos and have gotten 2 bad ones right out of the box,( Thats 4% bad inventory) and If I had to guess i would say I've bought over 2000 futabas over the years and have never gotten a bad one out of the box.

Don't skimp on your servo, the more power (TQ) the better. Speed isn't that importnt in boats but I always go for the fastest and strongest servo I can, that comes from decades af compettitive car racing. If I feel a servo is too fast i slow it down on the transmitter. If you're spending a lot of $$$ on a boat get a good servo don't skimp. And Yes DIGITAL is the way to go especially if you have a digital radio!!!!!
    We call ourselves the "Q"

How about where space is limited needing the use of a smaller servo?

depends on the size off the boat but there are many small servos availablle from all manufacturers to suit needs.
    We call ourselves the "Q"

Quote Originally Posted by jamie View Post
    How about where space is limited needing the use of a smaller servo?

Savox has a nice selection of minis and micros

I was recently challenged to fit one into a Mini-Sniper for a customer's boat. The mini mount needed to be re-done to get the micro in place

DSC04958.JPG

DSC04964-1.JPG

DSC05039.JPG
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

Interesting thanks
    Its just something that Ive noticed about this hobby that doesn't seem to get much discussion, yet its a pretty important part i would think.

I used all Hitec for years. I've recently given Savox a shot just due to the torque to dollar ratio. So far so good but I haven't got a lot of laps on any of them yet.

It's all about the torque I think. If you have enough and the servo stays dry you wont have problems.