Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hotrod Delta Force Mini-Sniper

Default Hotrod Delta Force Mini-Sniper

After building one boat for Dave, he trusted me enough to build him a "hyper" 23" Mini-Sniper to replace his last one which had an unfortunate encounter with the Archimedes Principal. He collected and sent me just about everything except a motor, motor mount, and strut. Having a very positive experience recently with a TP Power motor, I elected to go with a TP Power 2935 6Y motor of 2270 KV to run on 4S with his Seaking T-120. Figured it'd be just right to run at a good rpm with his razor sharp 435/3 prop.

With Keith out setting SAW records I couldn't ship him the hull and hatch to lay in the CF so I had a go myself. While a fun extravaganza, I'd much rather occupy my time with a considerably easier and less frustrating task like teaching my dog to twerk while accompanying himself on the accordian

DSC04920-1.JPGDSC04923.JPG
    Last edited by properchopper; 11-02-2013 at 10:43 PM.
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

Next up was to shorten the Speedmaster stinger to get the drive dog even (or close) to the rudder leading edge.

DSC04948.JPG DSC04950-1.JPG

Then, time to install the rudder, which had two out of three bolts of the "blind hole" variety so I broke out the Silly Putty and marked the drill locations.

DSC04968-1.JPG

To make life easier when torqueing down the rudder, I made rudder mounting studs from some 3mm x 35mm bolts so they could be "nutted" from the inside. Felt pretty clever after that, PLUS the rudder base had such a tiny footprint so I made a cf-plate gasket to better distribute the side-torsional loads should they occur Did the same for the stinger base 'tho not really needed Added the nicely tapered tabs and did the turn fins which I laser aligned with my extravagantly priced super Hi-tech $3 HK laser

DSC04970-1.JPG DSC04977-1.JPG
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

After a full component mock-up I decided to go with a rear motor layout [Randy taught me that years ago] so the shorter drivetrain has less friction and batteries can be used to adjust cg.

Planning several steps ahead to tighten up the servo & waterlines I prepped the motor mount with side holes to hold epoxy better, larger holes to pass servo wire underneath, and holes to run waterline under motor. Pre-made epoxy dams for a better motor mount-to-hull bond.

DSC04991-1.JPG DSC04990.JPG

DSC04980.JPG DSC05011.JPG

Also installed 3mm threaded studs into the motor to make nutting in the motor nice and convenient rather than fussing with trying to get allen bolts started in the limited space of the rear motor location

DSC04953-1.JPG

My next fun-filled extravaganza came when I discovered I was sent a MICRO servo with the mount for a slightly larger MINI servo. After several hours of head scratching trying to source a top-load micro-mount (needed for the cramped space the servo would occupy) I gave in and fabbed a mount to fit with parts from the bigger mount

DSC04958.JPG

DSC05000-1.JPG

DSC04964-1.JPG

Made battery trays from 3/32" birch ply with shims underneath to allow one-wrap to encircle trays and batteries. Yeah I know, CF are Mo' Trick but 'Mo expensive and are largely unseen once installed and velcroe'd.
    OK so I used a CF ESC platform, Happy ?

DSC05004.JPG DSC05007.JPG
    Last edited by properchopper; 11-02-2013 at 10:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by properchopper View Post
    Next up was to shorten the Speedmaster stinger to get the drive dog even (or close) to the rudder leading edge.
    I've always wondered why manufacturers don't match their components. SM doesn't make a rudder bracket to match their 3/16" stinger.

• Did you use a cutoff wheel and a grinder to camfer the edge?
    • How far is too far to cut a stinger? To the first step?
    • Do you shorten the bushing by the same amount?

I hope you don't mind the questions as you post your build. I'll be starting my first from scratch build soon and am eager to learn.

To retain the hatch, given the occasional warp-speed acrobatic manuevers these little hulls are capable of, I made some aluminum base pieces to be epoxied under the rear deck and tapped for quick-to-operate thumbscrews to work in concert with a solidly strong tab on front.

DSC04988.JPG DSC04994-1.JPG

DSC04996-1.JPG

DSC04997-1.JPG DSC05066.JPG

Here's a little mod you'll love if you've ever spent an entire entertaining afternoon trying to thread a Rx antenna under the deck up inside the tiny antenna tube that's permanently mounted. I press-fit the antenna base nut into a piece of ply, epoxy under the deck, allowing the antenna to be fed up the larger (now threaded) hole, and inserted into the antenna base/mast which gets screwed in betwixt thumb and forefinger

DSC05028.JPGDSC05023.JPG

There's so much more but my typing finger is getting tired SO here's the interior shot

DSC05037.JPG

Default Finally : The "Beauty Shots"

Default The Last Word

DSC05064.JPG

Thanks for looking,
    Tony
    rcboatbuild@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by rickwess View Post
    I've always wondered why manufacturers don't match their components. SM doesn't make a rudder bracket to match their 3/16" stinger.

• Did you use a cutoff wheel and a grinder to camfer the edge?
    • How far is too far to cut a stinger? To the first step?
    • Do you shorten the bushing by the same amount?

I hope you don't mind the questions as you post your build. I'll be starting my first from scratch build soon and am eager to learn.
    I just hacksaw the tip off the stinger & dress on the face grinder of my belt sander.

I usually go as far as in the picture. You'll want to have enough length to support the propshaft as much as you can

Yes, you need to shorten the bushing

Nice job Tony. I learned a few good ideas for my next build on a boat any size
    Nortavlag Bulc

Lots of good info indeed. I understand the blind nuts epoxied in for the thumb screws, but what the part on the top? How does the hatch sit flush with that there?

Quote Originally Posted by ray schrauwen View Post
    Nice job Tony. I learned a few good ideas for my next build on a boat any size
    Hey Ray,

You gave me some good input on motor choice before I got started

Quote Originally Posted by rickwess View Post
    Lots of good info indeed. I understand the blind nuts epoxied in for the thumb screws, but what the part on the top? How does the hatch sit flush with that there?
    Not sure I understand your question - but if you're asking about the clearance issue, the hatch has a raised edge which lifts it above the tapered thumbscrew guide

Also installed 3mm threaded studs into the motor to make nutting in the motor nice and convenient rather than fussing with trying to get allen bolts started in the limited space of the rear motor location

DSC04953-1.JPG
    Tony, what keeps the studs from turning while installing the nuts, just Loctite?
    "There's nothing else I really want to do other than get up and build boats." - Mike Fiore

Quote Originally Posted by Rocstar22 View Post
    Tony, what keeps the studs from turning while installing the nuts, just Loctite?
    Yes, the red stuff. Might also make life easier in those dual-motor cats with the motors buried in the sponson wells

Yes, the red stuff. Might also make life easier in those dual-motor cats with the motors buried in the sponson wells
    That's what I was thinking. Boat looks great sir....as always.
    "There's nothing else I really want to do other than get up and build boats." - Mike Fiore

Ideally I like just using one thumb bolt and a hatch seal on most of my boats for easy in and out,
    And for checking on things inside like temps and gps speeds.

I think Rick is asking about the nice hatch seal you made for the opening on the deck.
    Last edited by lenny; 11-03-2013 at 09:34 AM.
    ? ONLY IF THEY WORK

My youtube videos.http://www.youtube.com/user/61manx?feature=mhee

Not sure I understand your question - but if you're asking about the clearance issue, the hatch has a raised edge which lifts it above the tapered thumbscrew guide
    That answered both my questions, Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by lenny View Post
    I think he is asking about the nice hatch seal you made for the opening on the deck.
    If so, the foam tape (it was sent by Dave so I gave it a try) raised the hatch up to where it wasn't flush so it was canned and with the hatch securely in place , good 'ole hockey tape was recommended - no getting around it

As long as this has come up I'll share my opinion on multiple hatch bolts with foam gasketing but I'm fairly sure it's not a popular take on the issue : Although larger boats that are rigged for gonzo speed runs may require multiple hatch bolts, I've seen several instances where a boat stops with smoke pouring out from under the usually not very airtight hatch seal and a frantic search for the allen key takes place followed by a hurried rush to unbolt all them hatch bolts while things sizzle or flame inside eating up the internal goodies. I'm personally in favor of hatch retention that is quick and convenient to do and undo but that's just me
    Last edited by properchopper; 11-02-2013 at 11:12 PM.

Nicely done!

So getting a nut on there is easier? It must be or you would not have done it.

Nortavlag Bulc

Sorry to Spam but, here are some of the latest DF test boats... There is a 33" Sport Hydro there too!

Nortavlag Bulc

and this:
    Nortavlag Bulc

Nice article or build on sniper. The motor is Turnigy 3900 which gives me about 28,ooo rpm, give or take efficiency rating. My take is the setup of yours is for racing only but I would like your take on a sport setup for the average joe, thanks for the pictures on setup and your knowledge. My 2S lipos are 40-50c rating ( Turnigy ).Forgot, the homemade strut is at a neg. angle with a 632 S/B.
    Last edited by Southwest; 11-05-2013 at 11:17 AM. Reason: Would like info on a sport sniper, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Southwest View Post
    Nice article or build on sniper. Properchopper, I see you position the motor toward the rear as per Randy suggestion with 2 5000 lipos toward the front for CG purposes. I too have a sniper but run only 2S lipos. I marked the CG and placed motor at CG line with 2S lipo on each side of motor with esc between the or just ahead of motor. The motor is Turnigy 3900 which gives me about 28,ooo rpm, give or take efficiency rating. My take is the setup of yours is for racing only but I would like your take on a sport setup for the average joe, thanks for the pictures on setup and your knowledge. My 2S lipos are 40-50c rating ( Turnigy ).Forgot, the homemade strut is at a neg. angle with a 632 S/B.
    I'm not all that experienced with theses setups but you may want to try 435/3 prop. Ray was my consultant on the powerplant part of the build & He built a Mini-Sniper and might have something to add.

Quote Originally Posted by ray schrauwen View Post
    Sorry to Spam but, here are some of the latest DF test boats... There is a 33" Sport Hydro there too!

Ray, A 33" P-Sport or P-Ltd Sport Hydro done nicely a-la DF might just be the "next big thing". 30" P-sports doing 65+ aren't sticking in the groove it seems these days. Also, a 28" Cat that can survive 6-laps in racewater could be a MG/Mystic/BJ29//MC killer in P-Ltd Cat. HMMMmm.....

At my age I'm liking the red octupus 'tho. Does in come in Yellow?......
    Last edited by properchopper; 11-04-2013 at 01:35 PM.

Here's a little mod you'll love if you've ever spent an entire entertaining afternoon trying to thread a Rx antenna under the deck up inside the tiny antenna tube that's permanently mounted. I press-fit the antenna base nut into a piece of ply, epoxy under the deck, allowing the antenna to be fed up the larger (now threaded) hole, and inserted into the antenna base/mast which gets screwed in betwixt thumb and forefinger

DSC05028.JPGDSC05023.JPG

There's so much more but my typing finger is getting tired SO here's the interior shot

DSC05037.JPG

Good one I like that!put the nut in a box glued to the bottom of the deck just like the lower fender pannel on mu 69 Stang
    Randy
    For ABS, Fiberglass, Carbon hulls and Stainless hardware
    BBY Racing

Quote Originally Posted by RandyatBBY View Post
    Good one I like that!put the nut in a box glued to the bottom of the deck just like the lower fender pannel on mu 69 Stang
    You must have lots of flotation in that 'Stang to keep it on top of the H2O

you must have lots of flotation in that 'stang to keep it on top of the h2o
    lol It just sits in the garage waiting for me.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Randy
    For ABS, Fiberglass, Carbon hulls and Stainless hardware
    BBY Racing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast