Thread: Exceed upgraded Brushless buggy any good for first buggy ?

Default Exceed upgraded Brushless buggy any good for first buggy ?

Need some help and info on this stuff,
    Exceed 1/10 upgraded Brushless buggy.
    Very new to cars and trucks,
    Would this be a good step into them ?
    Has a Waterproof Trackstar motor 4250kv and combo 80a esc (2-3s capable).

IMG_20131017_182104_515_zps0406d52d.jpgIMG_20131017_182200_480_zpse39e2884.jpg

Thanks for any info.
    Last edited by lenny; 11-02-2013 at 12:36 AM.
    ? ONLY IF THEY WORK

My youtube videos.http://www.youtube.com/user/61manx?feature=mhee

Lenny, I don't know about that particular model but my son picked up an Exceed drift car a couple years ago to just play around with. For being an inexpensive, entry level car we were suprised at how nice it was and how durable it has been. The only parts we have bought for it have been different gears to change gear ratios and had no problem finding sources for parts, if or when something does break. Seems most their cars use somewhat the same basic platform just with different body mounts, contriol arms, shocks and tires.
    Don't know if you plan to race it or just have fun. But for fun we would buy another of their products. In fact a couple other guys on our street have bought Exceed cars and have been happy also.

Hey thanks for the heads up and the info,
    I was looking for something to just having fun and very durable to.
    And I guess 4x4 for use on/off road and some lite bashing doing jumps to,
    I thought there were more members into 4x4 on hear for more feed back about this stuff.
    ? ONLY IF THEY WORK

I thought more guys on here ran cars also. Sorry to say this but since me and my son have gotten into RC truck pulling and really into RC dirt oval racing we haven't had much time for boats this season.
    If you get this truck and need places for parts or upgrades let me know. Also on my sons car we had a hard time getting a pinion that meshed with the spur that it came with. We bought it used so not sure if the gearing was the stock ones or changed out to something different. Think it was a mod 1 gear or something, anyways went right to Redcat/Exceed and replaced the spur and pinion. Just a heads up.

Hey Lenny, perhaps you, and I could help each other out. First, some things you should know, hardly any rtr is really "durable". What I think you should look for is a vehicle from a well known
    company, (Losi, Hpi, Traxxas, Axial), One that has parts, and hop-ups easily available at your LHS, or on line. If I were to walk into my hobby shop, and ask for parts to an Exceed, they would respond,-- A WHAT?
    The price of a new Exceed is so low I'm thinking, okay, what's wrong with this picture? The car in your op would be fast, BUT, only be good for level dirt lots.
    There are basically 2 types of trucks/buggies for you, stadium/short coarse, (speed & off road, examples would be the Traxxas Slash, and E Revo), and crawlers. I lean more to the latter. Trust me when you combine REAL speed, and off roading you'll be racking
    up bills for parts real quick! Sounds to me like you want off road ability, AND *moderate* speed, at an entry level price, ( examples, are Summit, Telluride, Wraith). I would recommend you stay with 1/10, 15", and 1/16 12" scale vehicles.
    Anyway, I've got the Jonesing for an upgrade and would be willing to sell you my modded/upgraded 1/16 Summit. Price, pics, and more info if you are interested, LMK. $(KGrHqN,!rMFIiNy,B9,BSKnUVJsBQ~~60_57.jpg

I of course run a Slash 2wd and am accumulating part for my Revo conversion for 4X4 bashin' Lenny. Not familiar with exceed but gearing and power recommendations should be close anyway.

You're bang on runzwithsizorz. It doesn't matter what you buy, it's gonna break......and break.......and break again.

I run 2 a TLR22 and a Mini8 both from Losi. My son's a Durango fan. Replacement parts and hop-ups are what will make or break (pun intended) your experience in RC cars. For my 22, I must have 2x the value of the original "roller kit" in hop ups, mostly replacing plastic parts with aluminium.

My local indoor track shut down, so I'll probably sell the TLR22. I'll keep the Mini8. I've put street tires on it and it's a wicked street burner with all the upgrades it's seen.

IMG_20121117_193307.jpgIMG_20121117_193244.jpg

That exposed pinion gear on the Exceed is gonna grind away fast if you run in the dirt. The Mini8 is set-up like that but a pinion shield is available as a hop up.

DP702BLACKNeW.jpg

I hate to say this out loud but traxxas is by far the leader in reliable Rtr starter vehicles. Mainly because every lhs and even most pepboys carry parts for them...

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk

Todd thanks for all the info that Summit looks pretty nice,
    What S does it run on and is it 4x4 ?

Rick very clean and cool buggy,
    Is it 4x4 and what S does it run on ?

Also how much are you guys selling them for ?
    ? ONLY IF THEY WORK

Quote Originally Posted by rickwess View Post
    That exposed pinion gear on the Exceed is gonna grind away fast if you run in the dirt. The Mini8 is set-up like that but a pinion shield is available as a hop up.

DP702BLACKNeW.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by NorCalZ71 View Post
    I hate to say this out loud but traxxas is by far the leader in reliable Rtr starter vehicles. Mainly because every lhs and even most pepboys carry parts for them...

Agreed!
    The Exceed is a very basic/logical design to arrive at that price point. I had a Traxxas Stampede V1 that I converted to a brushless some 7 years ago with one of the earliest Novak Sensored system , I did not change anything else for the increased power and yet nothing broke, there are tons of spare in every LHS.
    For bashing I also have some Duratrax products which seem to be on sale all the time at Tower. Got an Evader RTR Buggy after it was discontinued for a low price, changed out their bushings in the tranny to bearings and it has a CC Castle Creations SV2 Sidewinder SCT System 3800kV set up. It rips ( on 2s only) and I have to get a wheelie bar for it, slapped on four Associated Short Course Truck Tires , it is my own creation, a hybrid ---these tires provide much better traction than stock 1/10 electric buggy.
    You are good with making parts, if you can make a shield for the pinion/spur gear, chances are that you will not find a piece of pebble in the gear mesh, that was my reaction upon seeing this picture.

DSCN4594_4921.jpgDSCN4595_4922.jpgDSCN4596_4923.jpgDSCN4598_4925.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by tlandauer; 11-06-2013 at 03:21 AM.

Hey Tim nice job on that buggy,
    What are the tabs for on the shock towers in case it roll over it saves the body and wing ?
    ? ONLY IF THEY WORK

Quote Originally Posted by lenny View Post

Todd thanks for all the info that Summit looks pretty nice,
    What S does it run on and is it 4x4 ?

Rick very clean and cool buggy,
    Is it 4x4 and what S does it run on ?

Also how much are you guys selling them for ?
    Lenny, Yes it is a 4 wheel drive. Suggest you familiarize yourself by looking on youtube vids. Mine is a brushed motor, and the reason is that when it comes to sloooow motion rock crawling control,
    brushless motors don't really work that well. My motor is an Electrifly S-600 19t, far better than the stock Traxxas Titan 12t. For lipo compatibility I am using the Traxxas waterproof XL-5 ESC with low
    voltage detection. Something neat about this ESC, is hitting reverse at even full throttle will *lock the brakes*, fun in the dirt, but not a good idea on pavement you then have to go back to neutral to engage
    reverse. You CANNOT go from forward to reverse without first going to neutral, I think you can understand why. It does have an adjustable slipper clutch. Another neat trick for this truck is you can set it up
    for high speed, (30+) or low speed torque by simply *flipping* the gears inside the transmission,------------ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAcZ4A-irfM No need to buy different
    pinion, and spur gears. It is currently set-up for slower speeds,(15+)
    and higher torque, but still spits gravel, and pops wheelies, which is why I installed an adjustable wheelie bar,(not shown). I doubt this set-up could handle anything more than 2S power, well, at least not
    for long. I guess I will HAVE to include the 2 nearly new 2s Turnigy nano-tech 2200mah 25c/50c batteries. These are the largest batteries I could find that will fit,(bearly) the saddle compartments. You have to be very careful as to the dimensions of the batteries you buy, aircraft size? I think. I have changed it to Deans connectors. I have never run this truck with parallel batteries, just the one will power this truck for 15 minutes. Never the less I will include a factory made Deans parallel adapter. At higher speeds it's also a good idea to let the motor cool down between runs. I have added a Castle motor fan,
    (not pictured) don't really know if it helps or not, but it's on there. It has on it fairly stiff springs for bashing, but will include soft springs,(more travel) for crawling. The chassis has 4 bright, and I mean BRIGHT headlights, and 2 taillights. Also included is a brand new unused original yellow, and black body, (not pictured), with 4
    roof rack lights, and 2 taillights mounted above the rear window. You would have to figure out how to wire them up. The drive train, and linkage are all still stock, and a word of caution, with it's torque, should
    you get in a really tight spot and try to *muscle* your way out you could twist something up. You could get ALL metal after market running gear, and if you did this truck would be almost indestructible.
    I could, but do NOT want to, add my really nice TX/RX, ($125 more). My price would be $275 shipped USA only.
    $T2eC16F,!)sFIZRKKQ0pBSKnUbLeSg~~60_57.jpg$(KGrHqJ,!ogFI(i4wSpzBSKnUhSbOg~~60_57.jpg$(KGrHqVHJF!FIp7v!N51BSKnU)mjo!~~60_57.jpg$(KGrHqZ,!roFINqdKHv!BSKnVByPUw~~60_57.jpg
    Last edited by runzwithsizorz; 11-07-2013 at 09:51 AM. Reason: New price

Hey Tim nice job on that buggy,
    What are the tabs for on the shock towers in case it roll over it saves the body and wing ?
    Thanks Lenny.
    Yes, I put the tabs to protect the shock towers, actually because this is a cheap chasis and it doesn't take much to rough up the towers and got tired replacing them! With the addition of the wheelie bar, there is no need for them, but the wheelie bar did not comeout until Duratrax began making the Evader Brushless which is itself discontinued, only the brushed version with a 2.4 radio lives on.

I was looking a a set of these Duratrax Brushless Evaders,
    But missed the deal.

I have a PM for you to look at.
    ? ONLY IF THEY WORK

I have a duratrax evader buggy. Bone stock. Brushed version. Needs a couple parts to be Rtr but I have no attachments to it. Make me a reasonable offer and ill pack it up.. ill get pix this week at some point.

Hey Lenny. You first need to decide what you want to do. Just like boats, there is a huge difference between racing and bashing. Traxxas/Duratrax/etc are the bashers. Losi/Durango/AE/Kyosho/etc are the racers. Parts for both types are easy to get/order.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7Mb-jGaNCo
    If I wasn't boating in the summer, this track is where I'd be. Note: At 2:45 that's my son's car being placed into position.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfRA5P7K61E
    This was the track I raced at during the winter. Unfortunately it shut it's doors during the summer.

I couldn't agree more!
    I am a basher and therefore I love DuraTrax, simple and economical to maintain, that said, I have a Kyosho Ultima DB which I put a HobbyWing EZrun 3300kv (10.5T) motor, got to say it handles so well both on-road and off-road. I will never race and go to a track so higher-end Losi racing platforms would not be on my shoping list. Anyway, as advised, you have to answer yourself what you want out of these vehicles.
    BTW, at that time CC BL system was way more expensive than the HobbyWing system , I got that from Hobby Partz for like $80. Now the CC system such as this: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXDRLN&P=SM cost significantly less than before while the HobbyWing has gone up considerably.

Basher,basher, that would be me to.
    Just looking for something a little scale looking that would be fun to drive at the lake ramp,
    Or at home in the yard or in corn field a cross the road.
    ? ONLY IF THEY WORK

Basher,basher, that would be me to.
    Just looking for something a little scale looking that would be fun to drive at the lake ramp,
    Or at home in the yard or in corn field a cross the road.
    Come on Lenny, make me an offer on my truck! Daddies about to go all in on an all metal, steel caged, 4x4, 23" stadium truck.

Do you have any video's of it running ?
    That is a very cool truck you have with the light and all but I do not think I will be into a crawler,
    Also I think I need to go brushless for in the long run of things.

So what steel 4x4 are you eye balling ?
    Have a link or pictures of it ?
    ? ONLY IF THEY WORK

It's a Traxxas Slash with all metal up-grades, and a custom hand made roll cage, around $600
    The Summit really IS NOT a crawler, have a look at the Youtubes. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvEplF4gcE4
    Today I'm going to flip the gears in the transmission, (did you not see the link?) that should bring the speed up to around 30mph.
    Don't forget I have another new body with 6 moooooore lights! Pics I can get you.
    I have never tried to post videos before. My camera records onto mini DVD's. Don't know how to get it
    onto the computer.
    Converting to brushless, wouldn't get you much more than 40mph, UNLESS http://www.ebay.com/itm/TRAXXAS-1-16...item4d0a8019b5 LOL That would be like a SV27 at 75mph. Do you really want to go there????
    Last edited by runzwithsizorz; 11-09-2013 at 11:50 AM.

my full size summit is a friggin tank. best land rc vehicle I've ever owned. yes I've broken some stuff, but i beat the BAG outta the thing ( drive thru swimming pools and then just unplug and leave for a month ) stuff like that.
    plus the snow is fun.

anyways, back on topic… tower has good payment plans for a better quality buggy. their 3 payment plan is enticing

Quote Originally Posted by Heaving Earth View Post
    my full size summit is a friggin tank. best land rc vehicle I've ever owned. yes I've broken some stuff, but i beat the BAG outta the thing ( drive thru swimming pools and then just unplug and leave for a month ) stuff like that.
    plus the snow is fun.

anyways, back on topic… tower has good payment plans for a better quality buggy. their 3 payment plan is enticing
    I like the full size Summit, but from everything I've read and seen you have to do a bunch of up-grades to make them fast, and reliable, Mamba,Castle, steel this, and that $$$$$$$$$$$$$ !!!!
    Is the EVX2 and Titan 775 BRUSHED really enough?

Quote Originally Posted by runzwithsizorz View Post
    I like the full size Summit, but from everything I've read and seen you have to do a bunch of up-grades to make them fast, and reliable, Mamba,Castle, steel this, and that $$$$$$$$$$$$$ !!!!
    Is the EVX2 and Titan 775 BRUSHED really enough?
    i feel that the titan motor IS enough for the truck. if you're buying a monster like this, then you shouldn't be looking for speed. it does exactly what i wanted to. run *!***!***!***!** over and go thru anything. in crawler mode its i think 75/1 gear ratio. on two 2s lipos it will pull children on sleds thru the snow. top speed is about 25 mph, but the stock motor runs strong and is waterproof, plus needs no upgrades to have fun. if you want speed this isn't the truck. although its pretty fast for its size.

i can't understand why people want to go 50 with one. its not really a crawler, although it has those traits, and its not a full monster truck. it does a little of both pretty darn well imo. the suspension is designed to be loose and tons of travel, why the heck would this truck be stable at high speeds? it won't. so i leave it stock and have a blast

i feel that the titan motor IS enough for the truck. if you're buying a monster like this, then you shouldn't be looking for speed. it does exactly what i wanted to. run *!***!***!***!** over and go thru anything. in crawler mode its i think 75/1 gear ratio. on two 2s lipos it will pull children on sleds thru the snow. top speed is about 25 mph, but the stock motor runs strong and is waterproof, plus needs no upgrades to have fun. if you want speed this isn't the truck. although its pretty fast for its size.

i can't understand why people want to go 50 with one. its not really a crawler, although it has those traits, and its not a full monster truck. it does a little of both pretty darn well imo. the suspension is designed to be loose and tons of travel, why the heck would this truck be stable at high speeds? it won't. so i leave it stock and have a blast
    Well gee whiz, ya sold me. Just bought a slightly used 1/10 Summit with a Mamba max, and Castle 1717 2200kv on fleabay. I WAS going for a Slash

plus the snow is fun.

How big is the summit you have 1/10 or bigger and does it have stock lights to.
    I was just looking one with 6 run on it so they say.
    ? ONLY IF THEY WORK

overall length is about 23" close to a 1/8 class. BTW Lenny, I flipped the gears on the 1/16 Summit, and she is fast, almost too fast for her own good.
    The stock Summit comes with lights in front,& rear bumpers, roof rack light bars are available.