Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: carbon fiber inlay

Just went picked up the paint so I can repair it. Gecko green is what I ended up with. Saw another member with that color and I fell in love with it. Heck that's what color I thought the boat was gonna be originally because in a lot of the pics I saw of it before buying it......they looked more green than yellow. Now I just have to find a sticker kit. Maybe yiu guys could come up with something better than the factory sticker kit? Gimme some ideas! :)

I wouldnt say the Leo is going to be more powerful. They may be close, one perhaps with more
    torque, the other more top end. I am curious to see which is best. Just because the Leo 4082 claims better specs then the 1515 doesn't make it true, can you try both motors in the geiko? Which of the two would you like faster? You may have to play around a bit, half the fun:) the Leo may surprise though#
    I didn't know the boat didn't come in geiko green, I learned something! As farI as decals go, you probably know monojeff does decals. I.was surprised at how reasonable they are. I am using the factory fountain logo, lettering red to black with the chrome fountain insignia. Same as they have on there website. Doing that in a couple different sizes with a few of the insignias separate is as fat as I.have got.
    Tough when I can't decide on paint. I like the geikio look, perhaps there's some graphic design you like, mono jeff can probably help you there to. He knows what looks good. There seems to be a lot of guys on here that know how to make look great. I am sure somebody will chime in, I may the only one sitting at home with nothing better to do (can do) then surf OSE and other sites all day. Looking for interesting ways to do my build. I ton of cf cloth, sheet, film, tapes and even braided cf for the stuffing tube. 9ft of that should be a lifetimes worth! My time will.come soon. Maybe a.couple more weeks! Your rescue vehicle on the other hand should be black with ghost flames and a skull with a knife driven through the top of its head, just because its a menacing water prowler. That look would give other rescue boats reason to stay away. Might even protect it on land to! Couldn't help it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fella1340 View Post
    I wouldnt say the Leo is going to be more powerful. They may be close, one perhaps with more
    torque, the other more top end. I am curious to see which is best. Just because the Leo 4082 claims better specs then the 1515 doesn't make it true, can you try both motors in the geiko? Which of the two would you like faster? You may have to play around a bit, half the fun:) the Leo may surprise though#
    I didn't know the boat didn't come in geiko green, I learned something! As farI as decals go, you probably know monojeff does decals. I.was surprised at how reasonable they are. I am using the factory fountain logo, lettering red to black with the chrome fountain insignia. Same as they have on there website. Doing that in a couple different sizes with a few of the insignias separate is as fat as I.have got.
    Tough when I can't decide on paint. I like the geikio look, perhaps there's some graphic design you like, mono jeff can probably help you there to. He knows what looks good. There seems to be a lot of guys on here that know how to make look great. I am sure somebody will chime in, I may the only one sitting at home with nothing better to do (can do) then surf OSE and other sites all day. Looking for interesting ways to do my build. I ton of cf cloth, sheet, film, tapes and even braided cf for the stuffing tube. 9ft of that should be a lifetimes worth! My time will.come soon. Maybe a.couple more weeks! Your rescue vehicle on the other hand should be black with ghost flames and a skull with a knife driven through the top of its head, just because its a menacing water prowler. That look would give other rescue boats reason to stay away. Might even protect it on land to! Couldn't help it.
    Ill try both motors for you and gps and video both. I have two sets of identical battery packs also. Ill try to do on the same day. Would you be willing to sell me a foot or so of the braided cf for the stuffing tube? Might look nice in my cheetah. Ill look the guy up you mentioned. Thx!

You get to have all the fun! It would be great to see how each performs, have you got a GPS?
    HK just came out with there new version GPS, its a real nice unit for around $50. Does latitude, longitude and elevation as well. When are you getting the blingrocket? Have you got a power source in mind for that? I will send you a foot or so of the braided cf, just pm me your address info and I will send it out in the next few days. I think its a nice touch on the shafts, just a little piece of heat shrink at each
    end to cover the cutoff. I am going to try using it over tube for the straight runs for cooling. I have a
    Couple of other things I can throw in as well seeing as through you are vacumn bagging. You might be able to add some bling on one of your boats. Are you building the bling rocket from the ground up yourself? Happy testing, should be interesting! I was thinking about the real expensive braided hose you can buy for boats. It looks the same to me as my airbrush hose, you can get 15ft for about $15. My hose is a little pricey to crop up, can't even get the look as its all hose crimped together. I think I am going to be the lab rat and order some. Can't seem to get specific info on them. They take a 1/8" hose barb so if the hose barb inner diameter is an 1/8" hopefully the hose ends up around 4mm. If anybody has already tried this please chime as to whether it work, thanks. Jeff

You get to have all the fun! It would be great to see how each performs, have you got a GPS?
    HK just came out with there new version GPS, its a real nice unit for around $50. Does latitude, longitude and elevation as well. When are you getting the blingrocket? Have you got a power source in mind for that? I will send you a foot or so of the braided cf, just pm me your address info and I will send it out in the next few days. I think its a nice touch on the shafts, just a little piece of heat shrink at each
    end to cover the cutoff. I am going to try using it over tube for the straight runs for cooling. I have a
    Couple of other things I can throw in as well seeing as through you are vacumn bagging. You might be able to add some bling on one of your boats. Are you building the bling rocket from the ground up yourself? Happy testing, should be interesting! I was thinking about the real expensive braided hose you can buy for boats. It looks the same to me as my airbrush hose, you can get 15ft for about $15. My hose is a little pricey to crop up, can't even get the look as its all hose crimped together. I think I am going to be the lab rat and order some. Can't seem to get specific info on them. They take a 1/8" hose barb so if the hose barb inner diameter is an 1/8" hopefully the hose ends up around 4mm. If anybody has already tried this please chime as to whether it work, thanks. Jeff
    That would be awesome if you sent me some cf braided cf. Ill pm you my address.

Bling rocket, im in the process of getting it now. Hopefully ill get it sometime next week. Im going to run a castle 1512 2650kv motor in it with a mamba monster or turnigy 120amp esc on 4s. Should be very quick. My shockwave would not stay on the water with that setup. Ill be building the whole thing myself. I had a garmin forerunner gps I was using until I flipped the shockwave and it flew out into the lake. So I ordered another last week. Should be here in the next day or so.

If you want some nice quality cooling hose, you can get some from a honda automobile dealer. I work in the parts dept at one and the washer hose we sell just so happens to be the right size and material. Its smoke colored. Part number 95003-0700870m its about 26ft per one bag. If you want some ill send you some. It lists for $14.22 for 26ft.

Sounds like you'll have fun with the bling rocket! I will get the cf braided out to you this week. It will all fit in an envelope so all's good. Thanks for the offer to send the hose, for $15 it wouldn't make sense to ship it. The Honda dealer is just up the road I will check it out, seems a good deal. The hose I am talking about has an actual cloth braided outside and rubber tube in the middle, not sure if that's what the Honda stuff is. Get back to building stuff, you've got a lot of work to do!

Sounds like you'll have fun with the bling rocket! I will get the cf braided out to you this week. It will all fit in an envelope so all's good. Thanks for the offer to send the hose, for $15 it wouldn't make sense to ship it. The Honda dealer is just up the road I will check it out, seems a good deal. The hose I am talking about has an actual cloth braided outside and rubber tube in the middle, not sure if that's what the Honda stuff is. Get back to building stuff, you've got a lot of work to do!
    The honda hose isn't braided. Its smoke colored high quality vinyl type material. Its not rubber or silicone. It looks really good too.

Stripped the stickers off last night. Found more damage than I thought. Looks like they use Elmer's glue or something cheap to hold the hull halves together. Don't worry....I have a plan for that!

One layer fiver tape over seams after grinding the crap out of it. I have a thread here under Transom Fix showing what I did.

Quote Originally Posted by srislash View Post
    One layer fiver tape over seams after grinding the crap out of it. I have a thread here under Transom Fix showing what I did.
    Thanks. Ill check it out. That was my plan.

Well I'd drill the tunnel or the hull now lol. It was on my counter last night getting ready for repairs and I walked off to go check on my dinner inside. As I walked out the door....I heard a loud bang. Yea...it slide off the counter onto the floor and took out the rear corner on the transom. It looks bad. Should have taken a pic of if but I was disgusted. I almost threw it in the garbage can. Then I saw all the work u just did and couldn't do it

Its only fiberglass! Its good opportunity to strengthen the transom up. It needed paint anyways. Sorry about the bad luck. A little fiberglass and filler and she's as good as new. Good practice for when you get a new boat that is a raw hull

Its only fiberglass! Its good opportunity to strengthen the transom up. It needed paint anyways. Sorry about the bad luck. A little fiberglass and filler and she's as good as new. Good practice for when you get a new boat that is a raw hull
    I know I know. But it almost made me sick when I saw that big chunk broken off! I laid some resin on it last night. Ill start sanding tonight and strengthen the inside. I filled the coolant exit home too. I hated where it was because the hose is right in the way when putting the battery on that side in. Guess I might as well redo things my way

My thoughts exactly. The Miss Behavin' was a good learning curve for my Geico twin(thread on that one too).

Quote Originally Posted by kfxguy View Post
    Lol. Nobody cares. Guess I wasted my time posting this. Lmao
    I care!!

Have a brand new IM31, like still in the box - afraid to run it before re-inforcing the interior because of all the stories of people having the wood interiors come loose from the hull.

Then I see this vid... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17Fhh4iKV0M - and ask myself, what's all the fuss about?? That boat takes a serious pounding before the hatch issue at the end.

Back to the IM31, I'm one of the lucky ones, got a really nice clean copy of a v1 with no cracks in the hatch, interior in perfect condition, no complaints what-so-ever. Doubt if I'll ever be able to afford another FE, so want to make this boat as nice as I possibly can.

Only prob is that I don't s**t about fiber-glassing R/C boats. Like what to use for resin & where to get it?? Lotta people say to use Z-Poxy, BUT. it's just that, epoxy, not FG resin & catalyst / hardener.

What resin / catalyst did you use & where did you find it?? Did you hunt down instructions on the net or fly by the seat of your pants??

Sorry for the dumb questions, but just don't know where to start, and yeah, I'm feelin a bit like an idiot

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Barnacle View Post
    I care!!

Have a brand new IM31, like still in the box - afraid to run it before re-inforcing the interior because of all the stories of people having the wood interiors come loose from the hull.

Then I see this vid... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17Fhh4iKV0M - and ask myself, what's all the fuss about?? That boat takes a serious pounding before the hatch issue at the end.

Back to the IM31, I'm one of the lucky ones, got a really nice clean copy of a v1 with no cracks in the hatch, interior in perfect condition, no complaints what-so-ever. Doubt if I'll ever be able to afford another FE, so want to make this boat as nice as I possibly can.

Only prob is that I don't s**t about fiber-glassing R/C boats. Like what to use for resin & where to get it?? Lotta people say to use Z-Poxy, BUT. it's just that, epoxy, not FG resin & catalyst / hardener.

What resin / catalyst did you use & where did you find it?? Did you hunt down instructions on the net or fly by the seat of your pants??

Sorry for the dumb questions, but just don't know where to start, and yeah, I'm feelin a bit like an idiot
    First off, the wood stuff in the interior did detach on mine. It did take several poundings before it did tho. I think its well worth doing. I crashed it right after I did the carbon inlay and it all held together even tho the hull split in a few places. For now in when I do a carbon inlay the hull seam will be included.

I used resin designed for carbon fiber. This is what I used
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Epoxy-Resin-...item4acb6b3a8c

I've got a little experience with cf so I just dove into it.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

...First off, the wood stuff in the interior did detach on mine...
    Most people say the same thing, its not if, but when. Hull splits also seem to be common, I've seen the pix, so I know it's true.

That's why I feel that it would be in my best interest to tie the wood to the hull with glass cloth + resin, not just resin or Z-Poxy alone. Also re-inforce the side walls of the hull (in critical area's) with glass cloth & resin.

...I think its well worth doing...
    That seems to be the consense's - re-inforce the hatch / canopy as well.

Never thought to look on fleabay for resin, thanks for the heads up, that's a fair price.

In one of your posts you mentioned a paint roller you got at Home Depot or Lowe's, correct me if I'm wrong... you have a link or pic of it??

Thanks for the help

Quote Originally Posted by kfxguy View Post
    First off, the wood stuff in the interior did detach on mine. It did take several poundings before it did tho. I think its well worth doing. I crashed it right after I did the carbon inlay and it all held together even tho the hull split in a few places. For now in when I do a carbon inlay the hull seam will be included.

I used resin designed for carbon fiber. This is what I used
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Epoxy-Resin-...item4acb6b3a8c

I've got a little experience with cf so I just dove into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Barnacle View Post
    ...First off, the wood stuff in the interior did detach on mine...
    Most people say the same thing, its not if, but when. Hull splits also seem to be common, I've seen the pix, so I know it's true.

That's why I feel that it would be in my best interest to tie the wood to the hull with glass cloth + resin, not just resin or Z-Poxy alone. Also re-inforce the side walls of the hull (in critical area's) with glass cloth & resin.

...I think its well worth doing...
    That seems to be the consense's - re-inforce the hatch / canopy as well.

Never thought to look on fleabay for resin, thanks for the heads up, that's a fair price.

In one of your posts you mentioned a paint roller you got at Home Depot or Lowe's, correct me if I'm wrong... you have a link or pic of it??

Thanks for the help
    The foam roller is a little mini paint roller yiu get in the paint section. Its for getting into tight spots. You can get extra rollers for it too. Only costs like $4.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234