Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: carbon fiber inlay

Quote Originally Posted by kfxguy View Post
    I heard you can use graphite powder.
    That's more of a lubricant. I don't know if it's recommended to be mixed with epoxy. You can add pigments for colour. Here's what I was talking about:

Milled CF

Quote Originally Posted by rickwess View Post
    That's more of a lubricant. I don't know if it's recommended to be mixed with epoxy. You can add pigments for colour. Here's what I was talking about:

Milled CF
    I agree with you. I woukdnt use it. But if im not mistaken isn't graphite and carbon fiber the same materials?

While im waiting on this stuff to cure I made a cf cross bar to the servo mount. Just because I guess. Lol

20131102_223607.jpg

But if im not mistaken isn't graphite and carbon fiber the same materials?
    They're both made up of carbon atoms, but graphite is a crystalline material that makes it soft and brittle.

So I figured I might as well put together what I can while the servo stuff cures. Its all done but that.

Added a thru transom connector for cooling. No biggie here, just thought it looked cleaner.

20131102_231944.jpg

Here's the almost completed setup. Yes....I used industrial strength Velcro for the esc and receiver. Im sure a few of of you guys are cringing at that, but im not sure im going to keep this esc for one and for two, I've flipped it a number of times and never was the esc or receiver hanging. Its pretty hard to detach them with the good velcro im using (I know I know...its still velcro) but until I settle on an esc, this will have to do. So go easy on me. Lol.

20131102_233957.jpg

20131102_233949.jpg

Btw, the wires and hoses will be more tidy looking once my cf hold Downs are done.

Looks good, but not sure what's up with the T and Y fittings on the cooling lines? I would suggest to keep it simple and run to the ESC first then the motor.
    "There's nothing else I really want to do other than get up and build boats." - Mike Fiore

Quote Originally Posted by Rocstar22 View Post
    Looks good, but not sure what's up with the T and Y fittings on the cooling lines? I would suggest to keep it simple and run to the ESC first then the motor.
    I agree. Same setup that I have in one of mine and absolutely no heat issues.

I did that so the motor doesn't get heated water from the esc. Is it not worth it?

I did that so the motor doesn't get heated water from the esc. Is it not worth it?
    I really wouldn't worry about it. You would be better off keeping a consistent steady/even flow rate.

What a difference from stock to where you are now! Congrats on a job well done. I think the advice
    given on changing your cooling configuration is what needsI to happen. LFrom what I have seen from the simplest refit to the multi thousand dollar jobs is to change your cooling to what the fellas above have suggested. The only other thing you may want to do is get a dual pickup rudder (I assume they would be available due to the popularity of the hull) and run a separate line to your motor and esc. Maybe another project for another day! Anyways, the outcome must have been worth all that hard work. Great job! Lets see some more video of this thing ripping up the water!

Water will take the path of least resistance. You risk starving one of lines downstream of the "Y" of that precious cooling fluid.

Hi,
    You should spin the water jacket so the back nipple is on top and use that nipple as the water exit,
    Always run water line in to the low and out to the highest point on the jacket.
    It will cool the motor a lot better that way,
    Because the water will have to over flow the jacket to get out of the top nipple and take more heat with it to.

Pursuit 008.jpg

Attachment 107368Here's my motor mounted. Little embarrassed that its slightly crooked. Either it moved on me even tho I thought it was taped in good or my eyes were crooked at the time. Lol. O well. At least the mount is slotted and can make up for it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by lenny; 11-03-2013 at 12:30 PM.
    ? ONLY IF THEY WORK

My youtube videos.http://www.youtube.com/user/61manx?feature=mhee

Well im done! I rerouted the water lines like everyone suggested. So here's the before:

20131017_224625.jpg

And here's the finished result. I ended up using know weld 5 minute epoxy to hold the servo plate down. After about an hour, I tried to rip it out (yea ida been made because I would have to fix it! Better than fixing that out on the lake tho!) And that puppy wouldn't budge. Maybe I can go run it today.

20131103_130517.jpg

20131103_130526.jpg

And I thought these were nifty to keep my hoses nice and neat

20131103_130645.jpg

An amazing improvement.

An amazing improvement.
    Thanks buddy!

Looks good
    Catching Air!

Awesome job! I hope we get some video of the boat on the water. It looks so cool
    inside now, it must be faster! Have you got another project lined up we can tune into
    next?

Quote Originally Posted by Fella1340 View Post
    Awesome job! I hope we get some video of the boat on the water. It looks so cool
    inside now, it must be faster! Have you got another project lined up we can tune into
    next?
    Lmao. I just wrecked it! I was being a dumbass and was trying to splash my kids on the bank. Well. I ran it aground at full speed. I managed to go right through my recovery boat and destroyed it completely. Time to build another. Lol. The geico suffered minor damage. It did crack the hull in a few places. Good thing I can fiberglass. Hahaha. Im laughing to keep from crying right now. Here's some damage pics. Bent the offset rudder bracket. Everything I did stayed put tho. I wanted it a different color anyway.

I have 4 projects coming up in the next few days if you want me to start a thread on them.
    Im building a 37" carbon fiber daytona for my buddy
    Building a much better recovery boat
    Im getting a carbon fiber cheetah to finish for myself
    And im building myself a 26" bling rocket on steroids.

20131103_162801.jpg

20131103_162638.jpg

20131103_162609.jpg

20131103_160929.jpg

Ok where is the video of all that fun you just had.
    Last edited by lenny; 11-18-2013 at 11:13 PM.
    ? ONLY IF THEY WORK

Quote Originally Posted by lenny View Post

Ok where the video of all that fun you just had.
    Im uploading my horrible driving to youtube right now. Stay tuned. Unfortunately I didn't get my stupid wreck on video. Kinda wish I had so I could go back a remind myself how dumb I was. Lol

We need a thread just for the blooper video's,
    To make us all feel better at times like this.
    ? ONLY IF THEY WORK

Wholly s--t, you couldn't do that again if you tried!! Is there anything you didn't hit!? It seems you do a thorough job on everything you do! Seriously, that's a bad piece of luck. Now you can finish it exactly the way you want it. You might as well start where you left off on your last post with the rebuilding of MG. I for one would like to see you post the other boats your doing here. Sounds like you will be a busy guy. No time like the present to get started! Cool retrieval boat by the way. I wonder what the damage would have been like without the added carbon fiber you added? I hope the damage is more superficial than anything else. Congrats again on a very thorough job! Glad you could see the humour in it. Jeff

Wholly s--t, you couldn't do that again if you tried!! Is there anything you didn't hit!? It seems you do a thorough job on everything you do! Seriously, that's a bad piece of luck. Now you can finish it exactly the way you want it. You might as well start where you left off on your last post with the rebuilding of MG. I for one would like to see you post the other boats your doing here. Sounds like you will be a busy guy. No time like the present to get started! Cool retrieval boat by the way. I wonder what the damage would have been like without the added carbon fiber you added? I hope the damage is more superficial than anything else. Congrats again on a very thorough job! Glad you could see the humour in it. Jeff
    Thanks man. Look on YouTube under my user to see my vids. I have the retrieval boat on there. That thing is frigging awesome at how good it works. It had carbon fiber reinforcing in it too. No damage to any of the components or cf work. Just the cheap tupperware I used. Lol. Here's a sneak peak at the new recovery boat. Its gonna be fiberglassed.

20131103_192054.jpg

Here's one of my vids. My driving usually doesn't suck this bad.....the sun is in my eyes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgGS...e_gdata_player

Like I said, click on my user name and you can see the recovery boat vids.

On a side note, ill fix the geico in the next few days and paint it a better green color like I wanted too anyway. Just gave me a reason now. Ill flatten and sharper the sponsons. Can't decide if I wanna remove the trim tabs. Them puppies really work. I can change the whole attitude of the boat with them. It does run a little wet scrubbing some speed. Im taking this power attempt out of this boat anyway and putting it into the cheetah. Then im putting a leopard 4082 2200 in the geico. I have a higher amp esc coming to.

It was running nice in the video. Half the fun is building them anyway.

You've got the geico moving good, now you want to put a 4082 in it? I would keep the trim tabs:) that's going to be a rocket! The rescue boat is awesome. Its the first one I have seen that goes underneath the hull and can grab it from any angle. I'm sure your going to miss it, time for the next level of rescue boat! That shocker was really moving to, what did you have in that? I have a 26" here that needs that kinda livening up! Its to bad you didn't get that little mishap on video, that sure would have been something to see. One minute everything is good, next carnage everywhere!

It was running nice in the video. Half the fun is building them anyway.
    Thanks. I honestly have more fun building it than running it.....weird I know.

You've got the geico moving good, now you want to put a 4082 in it? I would keep the trim tabs:) that's going to be a rocket! The rescue boat is awesome. Its the first one I have seen that goes underneath the hull and can grab it from any angle. I'm sure your going to miss it, time for the next level of rescue boat! That shocker was really moving to, what did you have in that? I have a 26" here that needs that kinda livening up! Its to bad you didn't get that little mishap on video, that sure would have been something to see. One minute everything is good, next carnage everywhere!
    I thought the 4082 would be a downgrade from the motor I have? I have a 1515 2200kv castle in it. The 4082 will be here's tomorrow so ill compare.

The shockwave has a 1512 2650kv castle motor in it. That thing will scoot but its not stable. If you have a brushless one, put a higher amp (at least 60 amp) esc in it. Keep the stock motor. Run 4s in it with a 45mm graupner prop. That's the setup my son have and it does 35ish mph. With a 5400 mah battery it runs for about 20 mins lol. Does not run hot at all. What I have in mine is way too much. That's why im swapping everything over to the bling hull. Im hoping it'll be more stable.

My rescue boat.....im gonna miss it. It was so frigging awesome. It never failed me. It would even bring back my canopy and canopy seal. I hope my next one could live up to it. That thing would turn so sharp and was extremely stable and controllable.

I thought the 4082 would be a downgrade from the motor I have? I have a 1515 2200kv castle in it. The 4082 will be here's tomorrow so ill compare.
    The 4082 is similar to the 1524 is you believe the printed specs.

I didn't realize you had a 1515 2200kv in there. Your still changing it out for a 2200kv motor, are you hoping for less torque and performance because its a Leo motor? I'm not familiar enough with the difference in poles/wind to even guess. The 26" boat I have is a R2 hobbies hull and my first build. It just recently became my learn the basics of cf boat. Turned out good. I haven't selected a new motor.for it yet, 2650kv seems like it would be a little much! I said first build, so far its one of one. The hull in my avatar is going to be number two. I have all the parts here for it (plus a hobby stores worth again) and its driving me crazy not being able to get to work on it. Recovering from back surgery at the moment and having a 5 year old is enough work at the moment! He loves the boats, good driver to! He's getting a hk genesis for Christmas, it will be seriously detuned from its already not so.fast stock self. It will be taller than him! He's loved the genesis since he first saw one and lucky for me the price is reasonable. We don't run where there's anyone else around. The only thing he can hurt is the boat (disclaimer for people who think that's to much boat for a five year old). Good luck on the rescue boat build, hopefully your new one will be able to slide underneath it the way the other one did. So many of the rescue boats I have seem rely on you lining the boat up and getting it between the arms. The way you could grab the boat from the side like that made it awesome. I hope you post the second generation of it, I have more than enough lying around to build one. What type of motor did you use?

I didn't realize you had a 1515 2200kv in there. Your still changing it out for a 2200kv motor, are you hoping for less torque and performance because its a Leo motor? I'm not familiar enough with the difference in poles/wind to even guess. The 26" boat I have is a R2 hobbies hull and my first build. It just recently became my learn the basics of cf boat. Turned out good. I haven't selected a new motor.for it yet, 2650kv seems like it would be a little much! I said first build, so far its one of one. The hull in my avatar is going to be number two. I have all the parts here for it (plus a hobby stores worth again) and its driving me crazy not being able to get to work on it. Recovering from back surgery at the moment and having a 5 year old is enough work at the moment! He loves the boats, good driver to! He's getting a hk genesis for Christmas, it will be seriously detuned from its already not so.fast stock self. It will be taller than him! He's loved the genesis since he first saw one and lucky for me the price is reasonable. We don't run where there's anyone else around. The only thing he can hurt is the boat (disclaimer for people who think that's to much boat for a five year old). Good luck on the rescue boat build, hopefully your new one will be able to slide underneath it the way the other one did. So many of the rescue boats I have seem rely on you lining the boat up and getting it between the arms. The way you could grab the boat from the side like that made it awesome. I hope you post the second generation of it, I have more than enough lying around to build one. What type of motor did you use?
    I used my stock geico 1500kv motor on 2s with a big graupner prop. so I guess maybe the leopard motor is a bigger motor powerful series than my castle. Maybe castle will stay put and leopard in cheetah. Ill keep you posted on everything.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast