Thread: New project: 26" monohull

Default New project: 26" monohull

This is my new project. An R2 hobbies 26" deep v impulse anti turnover hull. I bought it off revoloution store for peanuts. Unfortunantly during shipping, the prop shaft had taken a big hit and had broken the glue at the transom hole and also the wood that attaches to the servo mount. this was mainly due to a lack of cushioning in the box. Admittedly the prop shaft is exceptionally long making it very prone. They got some feedback from me anyhow! I fixed this easily with some epoxy. Shipping also was some of the fastest I have EVER seen. Now I am very impatiently waiting for the new motor, esc and servo(hk are always a bit slow). I'm going to run it with a watercooled outrunner on 3s 40-50c lipo's and see how she goes. I will post some more pics. My daughter really likes boats while my son doesn't(go figure) so I bought her a joysway warrior lite for a starter boat. that arrived yesterday, so I might slap up some out of the box pics of that as well.

servo issue 001.jpgParts starting to arrive. I don't like the idea of using a micro servo on a boat of this size, so i'm trying to work out a way of mounting the standard one sitting next to it.
    "Speeds just a matter of money, how fast do you wanna go?"

Is there enough room to just Dremel out a larger servo hole in the wood mount?

Yes, but there is not enough depth underneath the platform for this type of servo.

Roger that, hard to tell depth perception in the picture.

Can't tell how far above the platform the steering rod is..........can the standard servo lay down with the horn pointed skyward?

You should be Ok with a micro servo in it. I have a R2 hobbies Arowana with the same rudder on it and using a micro servo in it with no problems.

2012-11-09 14-30-47.093.jpg2012-11-09 14-31-42.640.jpg2012-11-09 14-32-27.691.jpg2012-11-09 14-33-04.759.jpg2012-11-09 14-30-22.473.jpg
    Modified Jae21, Stock Jae21, Cheetah, Ul-1, Shock Wave 26 V2 (Rescue Boat).

How about a low profile standard size servo?

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy View Post
    Yes, but there is not enough depth underneath the platform for this type of servo.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Nice, you made your own flood chamber, cool. You only power it with a 380 motor or is that 36mm motor?

Quote Originally Posted by SirBudman32 View Post
    You should be Ok with a micro servo in it. I have a R2 hobbies Arowana with the same rudder on it and using a micro servo in it with no problems.

2012-11-09 14-30-47.093.jpg2012-11-09 14-31-42.640.jpg2012-11-09 14-32-27.691.jpg2012-11-09 14-33-04.759.jpg2012-11-09 14-30-22.473.jpg
    Nortavlag Bulc

Sorry, it's the smaller Arowana.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Rc boat Bitz in my hometown had the perfect alloy mount for a standard servo lying down. Cheap too, fast shipping it's gonna be here by tomorrow. I wanted to use this servo because I bought it especially for this boat. It's a high torque, metal gear waterproof ball bearing servo. For this application it should be durable and foolproof.

AustinWolv was spot on. seems the best way to go. Damn ADS never grind a flat on the motor shaft. That be a bit annoying. Thank god for the dremel!

Ready to go, gonna have my first run today, yeeeeehaaaaw Got a proper cnc prop and small turn fins on their way too.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ran like a dream. all good except a little Loctite needed on the coupling set screws.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Timmy; 11-12-2013 at 07:48 AM.

What do you think of the Arowana? cool trim tabs.

To get some adjustability on the drive you might want to convert it to flex shaft and put a stinger on it. I have the R2 Hobbies Sober twin Hydro and it had the same drives on it. I converted it and it made a huge difference! BTW The build looks great!

I know, after I've played a bit I'm gonna look at it. What size stinger is appropriate for this boat?

Maybe an SV27 stinger?
    I just measured mine at 2-13/16"from hull to end. Add another 1/16" for the bushing.
    From what I've read and heard it is desired to have the leading edge of the rudder somewhat match the leading edge of the prop.

Post up a video of your run if you can.....everybody loves a video :)

Fair Winds,
    Corey
    This is NOT a toy?!?

I'll check out the stinger for sure. I'm aware that the stock set up is less than ideal. I have to say, though, she ran really well. I mean i'm chuffed how hard she goes for the money I spent. I didn't get a chance to do a video yet but conditions were really bad. Lots of wind and serious chop! the only time I got near top speed she hit a wave and the wind got under it and flipped it! the other boaters were impressed with her though. Now a quick question for ya'll: how do you work out the correct mounting spot and angle for turn fins? I've got some on the way. What do people think of em'? are they really worth the extra drag? maybe just one would be better? Got a cnc machined prop on the way too. I will get the vid on the next run hopefully.

I would suggest this one, you can adjust the length too. http://www.ebay.com/itm/151040950351...84.m1423.l2649
    Last edited by flraptor07; 11-12-2013 at 08:47 AM.

What do people recommend in the way of flotation/foam

That's a great looking bit of kit. I like the idea of Teflon bushes. Looks kinda heavy though, how much does it weigh? There's very little weight in this boat. The engine weighs about half the average, especially with watecooling.

That's a great looking bit of kit. I like the idea of Teflon bushes. Looks kinda heavy though, how much does it weigh? There's very little weight in this boat. The engine weighs about half the average, especially with watecooling.
    I've got a couple of them I'm using on a Cat build i'm doing, I'll weigh one for you and let you know.

Default Stinger weight

OK Timmy, they are a little beefy they weigh 78.7gr or 2.7oz.

What do people recommend in the way of flotation/foam
    I use pool noodles in all mine, They don't absorb water, cut to fit and you can glue them in with "ZAP GOO" it works great for that kind of stuff.

Thanks man, pool noodle seems to be the way to go.