Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The "Bling Rocket" build

Looking good Shawn. I'll be following this close since I'll building a DF Pirate 35 over the winter..........LP 4082 1600kv, 6s2p. It'll be my 2nd boat, but my first build.

My biggest concern is being able to keep the CoG correct in both directions. As you have pointed out already the main influencer will be those big a$$ 6s's. I was thinking of a similar layout as yours, but I've noticed most here like to move the motor much farther toward the bow. Your layout is very similar to that of the Revolts (my first boat). The CoG was really easy to adjust once I pullled the stock tray out and replaced with CF. Like on the Revolt, have you thought about placing the ESC beside the motor on the opposite side of the Servo? It would eliminate the PITA factor of having to move the ESC to pull the batteries.

I like your CF work. What tools do you use to make them?

I was going to reinforce the bow of the boat using the very unimaginative method of 2 part foam. I do multiple smaller pours so to make sure I get an nice even fill, grind the front face flat and square then glass it in.

Sorry, I have a really basic question that I want to ask. What's the purpose of a flooded tube? I'm thinking that unless the boat is stationary, that tube tube isn't flooded.

Haha , yeah not flooded but leaves room for strut adjustment. A tedious setup with such a short stuffing tube keeping alignment and adjustability. I have been moving the stinger around on my 35" DF trying to get it "settled". A lot of disassembly and resin work for that.

BTW went with bulkhead instead of foam as I cannot be certain of the weight of the foam till I do one. Thought about it though. I know others here have done it and added 2lbs of weight to the cats.

Quote Originally Posted by rickwess View Post
    Sorry, I have a really basic question that I want to ask. What's the purpose of a flooded tube? I'm thinking that unless the boat is stationary, that tube tube isn't flooded.
    Flooded tube is just a term used because the tube is a large diameter tube open at the transom, the idea of the large diam tube is to give a lot of up or down adjustment of the strut as the stuffing tube is only attached at the front of the flood tube. Hence allowing a bit of bend in the stuffing tube when moving the strut up or down.

Quote Originally Posted by martin View Post
    Flooded tube is just a term used because the tube is a large diameter tube open at the transom, the idea of the large diam tube is to give a lot of up or down adjustment of the strut as the stuffing tube is only attached at the front of the flood tube. Hence allowing a bit of bend in the stuffing tube when moving the strut up or down.
    The stuffing tube will take the path of least resistance. It will move the sealer on the end of the tube and not bend the stuffing tube.
    Randy
    For ABS, Fiberglass, Carbon hulls and Stainless hardware
    BBY Racing

Quote Originally Posted by srislash View Post
    I know others here have done it and added 2lbs of weight to the cats.
    That's a lot of foam. When I foamed the bow of my Revolt, I used about 1 dixie cup worth of liquid.

What are you using to form the CF parts?
    Last edited by rickwess; 10-30-2013 at 01:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by martin View Post
    Ah, makes sense. I was taking the term too literal. Obviously not possible with a stinger set-up.

Quote Originally Posted by RandyatBBY View Post
    The stuffing tube will take the path of least resistance. It will move the sealer on the end of the tube and not bend the stuffing tube.
    Yes I should of used the term allowing the stuffing tube to flex with movement of the strut rather than the term bending the stuffing tube.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by srislash View Post
    Haha , yeah not flooded but leaves room for strut adjustment. A tedious setup with such a short stuffing tube keeping alignment and adjustability. I have been moving the stinger around on my 35" DF trying to get it "settled". A lot of disassembly and resin work for that.

BTW went with bulkhead instead of foam as I cannot be certain of the weight of the foam till I do one. Thought about it though. I know others here have done it and added 2lbs of weight to the cats.
    Good information for the day, but 2lbs of foam weight does seem like a lot. Are you referring to a type of spray in expanding foam, or the mix Ina cup pourable foam ?.

The entire nose of my mm cat is sprayed in. It seems like a lot of foam was used in this thing, but I doubt it'll weigh a pound

I had merely read the 2lbs in a thread but it seemed to stick in the brain. I will try to keep track of the weight added by various things here (ie:bulkheads,inlay, and such). Just be good knowledge.

The 2Lbs was for a cubic foot. If you can find it, there is one pound per cubic foot foam. that should make it easier for you.
    Randy
    For ABS, Fiberglass, Carbon hulls and Stainless hardware
    BBY Racing

Quote Originally Posted by RandyatBBY View Post
    The 2Lbs was for a cubic foot. If you can find it, there is one pound per cubic foot foam. that should make it easier for you.
    Good to know Randy, thanks.

I like this little boat. Where can I get one? Fightercat is out of stock.

? ONLY IF THEY WORK

My youtube videos.http://www.youtube.com/user/61manx?feature=mhee

looking good Shawn. I rebuilt my pursuit before I sold it moving the motor back and what a difference. Your on the right track

Have any old pictures of the boat and setup before you sold it ?
    ? ONLY IF THEY WORK

Quote Originally Posted by lenny View Post
    Dang. I guess I missed the part about it being 32" I thought the bling rocket was only offered in 26" (which is what I want) thanks for looking out tho!

Have any old pictures of the boat and setup before you sold it ?
    I think that's the first boat Ive ever not had pics of.... Ive searched my computer all over and nothing.

It was very close to what Shawns doing, accept for the battery plate. I made an aluminum tray with a threaded rod thru the middle and an upper plate w/ a wingnut to keep things secure. If you've seen my 26 bling its the same thing I did in it.

That set up ran significantly better than the factory. Much better balance and the wobble went away... I guess with the batts in the center rather than the sides. I dunno, im a cat guy

Is this it ?
    And was it a HK hull , And if so was the hull layup good like most of the pursuit hull ?

This is all I could find so far of yours.

pursuit.jpgpursuit3.jpgpursuit 2.jpg
    Last edited by lenny; 10-30-2013 at 11:42 PM.
    ? ONLY IF THEY WORK

A cat guy you are buddy, pretty much me as well but I had to build a mono from bottom up. And get my build juices going again.

My finding with the DF was that it would pitch back and forth at speed (to the point of submarine) with batteries on the sides hence the bottom of hull home here.
    I was thinking of the tray/hold down system but had the tray here so went for it .

Good to have you aboard Scott :-)
    Last edited by srislash; 10-31-2013 at 12:44 AM.

Happy Halloween folks. Had a little spare time after ghosts and goblins so me and the helper

image.jpg

Got the convex hook worked out. Now I just need to inlay then fill the low spots and sharpen transom edge. Hoping for inlay,stringer,motor mount,trays this weekend.

That is a very scary mask.
    ? ONLY IF THEY WORK

That is a very scary mask.
    Her name is Bella so she doesn't't feel so bad. Bella of course Italian for beautiful,LOL.
    Testing this weekend Lenny?

Sorry Bella,
    Someone hit the nail on the head when they named her that.

Hear is are two very scary boys.

pursuit hull 007.jpg
    ? ONLY IF THEY WORK

Sorry Bella,
    Someone hit the nail on the head when they named her that.

Hear is are two very scary boys.

pursuit hull 007.jpg
    Drinking from the "well" I see. Three cats here too, Burt is the one who comes to my room for visits, I'll get a pic at some point.

So quick question here guys, Any reason to Cf my hatch lid on this one? Seems fairly sturdy for its purpose. Will do it while the epoxy is flowin' but kinda thinking a chunk of foam and that be it.
    Oh and the other mascot : Burt=25lbs
    image.jpg

So hull is ready for inlay and weighs in at 2lbs even with hatch.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast