Thread: Help removing the SV27 rudder out of the bracket

Default Help removing the SV27 rudder out of the bracket

Hi,

I decided to replace a broken rudder on my old SV27, ordered a new one, but simply unable to remove the old one from the rudder bracket.

I sawed off the old rudder right under the bracket and tried hammering out the pin, later pushing it put with clamp, but no luck without damaging the pin & bracket ..

Anyone done this successfully without blowing a fuse ?

Or do I just shell out the 21 bucks for a new rudder bracket as well ?

Any advice appreciated..

Thanks,
    Berry
    Berry

Not to be smart about it, but did you take out the set screw?
    Modified Jae21, Stock Jae21, Cheetah, Ul-1, Shock Wave 26 V2 (Rescue Boat).

You have to turn the rudder all the way one direction to get out the grub screw holing the pin in, it on the front side of the rudder, and also the one holding the control horn on but that one is easily visible. Mine had something like Loctite on it, small cheap chinese fasteners. Might need to hold a soldering iron on it to get it to crack free without rounding out the hex hole.
    If my boats upside down then who owns the one I thought I was driving the last two laps?

Thanks for your responses ..

I had removed the grub screw out of the rudder control arm. Where you would expect two others to hold the rudder there was nothing, but certainly after some cleaning I could see some kind of Loctite at the base of the where you would put the screws fastening it to the pin.

As I'd destoyed the top tubing that holds the pin I have ordered a new one in the mean time..

Using a soldering iron with a narrow tip to remove the Loctite is probably a useful tip for the next boater who needs to replace the rudder !

Thanks,
    Berry
    Berry