Thread: Best motor for a UL-1

Default Best motor for a UL-1

What is the best motor to replace the stock 2030kv motor in a UL-. I have a feeling the motor I have is about to go, after every run it has that hot smell. I just went through burning up my stock esc and that could be it, but I'm not possitive. I now have a 90 hobbyking esc in. Any advice would be great. Thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by stelerzman View Post
    What is the best motor to replace the stock 2030kv motor in a UL-. I have a feeling the motor I have is about to go, after every run it has that hot smell. I just went through burning up my stock esc and that could be it, but I'm not possitive. I now have a 90 hobbyking esc in. Any advice would be great. Thanks guys.
    How old is your motor? The AC 2030 motor is a great power plant (also considering the price point) but I understand some recent productions are riddled with issues of burning up and do a search you will see what people are saying. I had one I bought 2 years ago and it's been bullet proof so far. I use that one on my MinicatUSA Samurai, it is a sub drive prop. My recent purchase of a new one which I used in my BBY Zephyr, it is too soon to tell.
    What the discussion essentially boils down to is that the manufacturer might have changed the way they make their coil by using different lacquer.

would be sad if that were true. such great little motors

IMO the UL1 motor is the motor motor for that hull. It can handle bigger power but sooner or later the hull will probably fail. What prop were you running on it??

Hey,
    What temps are you getting off of the motor and setup after a full run ?
    Also what prop are you using and is the boat riding on plane for the whole run ?
    If it is still plowing the water like in the video to try and get on plane,
    Than yes you are going to have the hot smell after a run.
    And you will end up smoking any motor and esc you put in it,
    If the boat is not setup right and running on plane it is going make more heat.
    ? ONLY IF THEY WORK

My youtube videos.http://www.youtube.com/user/61manx?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by Chilli View Post
    IMO the UL1 motor is the motor motor for that hull. It can handle bigger power but sooner or later the hull will probably fail. What prop were you running on it??
    Stock......

Quote Originally Posted by lenny View Post
    Hey,
    What temps are you getting off of the motor and setup after a full run ?
    Also what prop are you using and is the boat riding on plane for the whole run ?
    If it is still plowing the water like in the video to try and get on plane,
    Than yes you are going to have the hot smell after a run.
    And you will end up smoking any motor and esc you put in it,
    If the boat is not setup right and running on plane it is going make more heat.
    Still running the stock prop and the temps are, batt-110*, stock esc-120* and the motor was 135*. These are the last #'s I was able to record. The following video link is with the HK 90amp esc and the stock motor and 2, 2cell turnigy 5200mah,30/40c batteries. It's a very short run because the boat was making a weird noise and I didn't want to risk damaging anything. Any way, here is the link.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZfCAnd...%3D1ZfCAnd2ObU

ever do any maintenance on the motor? Id look at the bearings
    "Our society strives to avoid any possibility of offending anyone except God.
    Billy Graham

Great point, I'll be sure to check them out. Just an fyi I've lubed the besrimgs after each run.

also any friction in your flex or mis alignment?
    "Our society strives to avoid any possibility of offending anyone except God.
    Billy Graham

I still check temps there and everywhere else in the setup,
    Just to know it is all doing good and running smooth.

The oil he is adding to the motor could be the hot smell of it heating up and burning.

Quote Originally Posted by JimClark View Post
    also any friction in your flex or mis alignment?
    ? ONLY IF THEY WORK

My youtube videos.http://www.youtube.com/user/61manx?feature=mhee

I always re grease the flex cable before each run and clean it afterwards. Also, as I mentioned before, I always lube the bearings after each run. I'm not sure how old the boat and motor is because I purchased it used. Everything appears to be in propper working order when it comes to the drive line.

I do have another question, could the smell be from the esc when it went up in smoke? If that is possible maybe the motor is fine. Is there a way to clean out the motor to eleminate the smell or should the smell do away after time?
    Last question, does anyone out there make 6 pole motors for these types of boats or is Aquacraft the only one? I really like the power it has and would like to continue running it.
    Thanks to everyone that has posted info for me and others to learn from.

There is always THAT smell after an ESC burns, use denatured alcohol to clean, it will take away some of it. I personally don't think the oil in the BL motor would give you the smell unless the motor is extremely hot, by then the motor is already not worth a *****. BL motors do not give that comm. oil smell like those on brushed motors.
    I have a Miss Elam with a Proboat 6-pole 1800kv motor. It's the highest kv they sell at the moment under the "Dynamite" label.
    BTW, I forgot to mention that I have three F1 Out Board Tunnels , they all use the AC motors, out of the three one is equipped with an 1800kv motor, as I said, I love them and so far they are reliable.

Thank you tlandauer for the insight. I'm defiantly going through the learning stage with these fast azz boats. Your info is much appreciated.