Thread: ML Boatworks GSX480 Gas Sport Hydroplane, S & T FE version coming too.

Default ML Boatworks GSX480 Gas Sport Hydroplane, S & T FE version coming too.

Hey Guys, Here is a copy of my initial post on Jims RCBD the other day. I am not a big poster over there, so this was a self introduction, as well as the introduction of the up and coming GSX480 Gas Sport hydro, and it will also be done in the near future as an S and T power class FE hull. The hull is 48" in length, with 7" wide engine well openings. Should be a HUGE amount of room for us FE guys, and plenty for the gas guys to utilize! There will be some changes for the FE kit, but right now, I am focusing on the gas version, getting it tested, getting a cowling mold made, and move forward from there. As usual, this will be come a build thread too! Enjoy, Mike

Here is the Jim's post:

Well, I would like to introduce myself to everyone first. My name is Mike Luszcz, owner of ML Boatworks, www.ml-boatworks.com (soon to be www.mlboatworksrc.com on Nov.1). I have been a member of Jim’s for quite a few years now, but besides some nitch group designs, GS480 gas o/b tunnel and my gas scale hydroplanes, both of which have won multiple national events and continue to win, I have mainly been on OSE and IW. The gas o/b tunnel has won the world tunnel champs, 1st-2nd and 4th in 2012, and 1st, 2nd, and 3rd in 2013. Most anywhere you race that offers the all new gas scale hydroplanes you will now see one of my kits being used for the class. Marty Schalenburger has done an incredible job promoting the class, and I have tried to offer many options for the class to help it get up and going! It also has now had rules built for both NAMBA and IMPBA due to fast growth Pretty exciting.

I have mostly stayed with the smaller scale and sport hydros and o/b tunnel boats (sizes from 26.5”- 45”). I am typically known as a full FE guy, mainly due to local pond conditions being undersized and the need to run quietly and I love the power options with FE these days.

I have never ventured into the gas sport hydroplane, or thunderboat categories before. I have always felt they were probably two of the largest, most competitive classes to race no matter where you are in the country. I purposely steered clear of these classes as I wanted to build my knowledge base over the last 5 years and offer a good product when the time was right. While I am still a ways out with a thunderboat, I am now in a phase of initial build, test, and redesign if needed on a new gas sport hydroplane, called the GSX480. This is a 48" long platform, so it fits not only the gas class, but the S and T FE power options in the IMPBA. I worked on the design off and on for around a year. I ran into a lot of challenges with this boat, mainly, how to keep a 75mph boat this large in one piece during a hard blowoff. I know the other guys out there have worked through the same issues, and I probably will too. My goal over the next couple of months is to get this hull built, get a plug and mold made for a cowling, and get it up to Dick Loeb and his motor guy Donnie in the Norfolk area, and at the SAW’s in Elizabeth City, NC in November I am going to hand the boat to John Finch to review and see how he feels about the design and structure. Both of these guys along with some other seasoned racers have given me input over the last year of things they feel are needed in a boat of this class. Let’s hope I got it right!
    With all that being said, here are pics of the initial dry fit. I just got the first kit in from my laser guy yesterday, popped out the parts, and did the dry fit. The total time to do so was around 45 minutes. As you can see, there is a lot of other components that will need to be installed before you can say “ Oh OK, so that is what it looks like”, so please bear with me as I get to that point. The hull itself has a lot of features that have proven themselves on my smaller “GP” series sport hydros, and this boat also has some new features that should make for an even more stable hull. Things like the balsa core trust forward to after frame system. This is to add some additional strength to basically the center section core and allows me to push the opening to around 7". A 5" engine rail is also locked into place as an integrated feature. The open area allows the builder to access behind the engine rail even after the hull is completed. However, the top deck in the engine well area is only 6" so normal manufactured headers have enough offset to clear the cowling just as any other typical gas sport on the market. Behind the engine compartment, you can see a rather large area for all your radio equipment, with full recessed lids. These three lids will allow direct access to key compartments in the hull so tons of radio box tape is not constantly needed. The engine/ fuel tank area up front are the only non- water tight areas on the hull since air has to get in those areas. There are other design points, and I can list all of them out, but I suspect most will see them and understand. Any questions or comments are appreciated. I will do my best to get this one built, and get it tested in a timely manor. The design time took so long to finish, I am ready to see what happens. Oh, the cowling you see laying on the hull is not for this boat, it’s a Brownie cowling. I am however going to utilize the design aspect from it for my plug and mold. I think it’s a great looking piece. More soon. Mike

Laser cut, birch plywood rc race boat kits- WWW.MLBOATWORKSRC.COM WWW.DINOGYLIPOS.COM

Laser cut, birch plywood rc race boat kits- WWW.MLBOATWORKSRC.COM WWW.DINOGYLIPOS.COM

Mike nice job buddy and more people can buy it and run it cannot wait to see how she runs.
    Do It Like You Mean It .....or Don't Bother

Just a few things left to do till its ready for the first test. Both Dick and I are really excited to see the results! Mike

Thumbs up

Mike!
    this is awesome!
    I would love a brushless version of this one for sure
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

Mike, very nice. Why is there a 1/4 gap in the bottom at the first bulkhead? I assume the plywood actually gets glued down so the bottom has a curve in it, to take in air in the tunnel then compress it? Please add me to your contact list for an S hydro FE kit.

Allen

Nice work. I bet those extended motor mount rails will really stiffen up the center section (fore/aft) as well.

Quote Originally Posted by kacordy View Post
    Mike, very nice. Why is there a 1/4 gap in the bottom at the first bulkhead? I assume the plywood actually gets glued down so the bottom has a curve in it, to take in air in the tunnel then compress it? Please add me to your contact list for an S hydro FE kit.

Allen

There is a piece of Quarter round that goes in that area.

I just got some initial test news from Dick Loeb and Donnie Padgent (spelling*)...Dick Tyndall and Kentley Porter's brother in law Keith Thompson were also out there. Keith apparently got video of the 3-4 runs (I am guessing 4 as they tested 4 different props) and says he will try and upload that asap.

Conditions, 20mph wind, rough water

Boat ran with a mild 29.5 mod motor. Dick said he could run the boat dead into the wind wide open, turn in the rough water wide open with no issues, hold the bouys with no issues. He said this motor had the boat in the upper 60's, but also said Donnie was handing him a brand new "badazz" fully modded 29.5 to put in it as the hull wants more apparently! He tried 4 different props and could see the hull react to each prop change, which he said is a good thing. He also stated that the sponsons had not even been scuffed yet, and there were even some clearcoat bumps here and there. He wanted to test it just as any possible builder might run the boat in its worse condition. He summed it up with he could have thrown the boat in today and raced it just as the initial setup was. Pretty good news! Dick Loeb said he would post something later, and I suspect Dick Tyndall might add something as well!

Oh, per my conversation with Dick Loeb on Saturday, the final weight of the boat, ready to run is 16.5lbs, and that the "natural" CoG was right around 1.5" behind the sponson heal with no lead added to get it to that point.

Got up to the lake today. Here is a good long video of the gas sport hydro running. I have lots of good pics too. I will upload them soon, Mike

Wow Mike! Runs great! I can definitely appreciate all the hard work that goes into your designs. I'm trying to battle through a scratch build myself and it's taking me forever!

I also had a question regarding the step in the bottom. Seems as if the smaller area would act like an orifice. Increase the velocity, but decrease overall flow and build pressure under the hull. Interesting....

Mike, as always brother, another impressive design. Tks for destroying my bank acct....... because Im gonna want an FE version of this one too.... DJ
    Tunnels-PS295. Cats-H&M M1 Supercat Daytona rivercat. Monos-DF Cyberstorm HiTech 29. Hydros- Ms K Vac-U-Pickle Custom built 37" shovel 10th scale converted to FE Shadow. Rigger-H&M Evo II. AQ Harbortug recovery boat. Build in progress 37" cf Dragboat

Thanks guys. Its a pretty nice running hull! Real excited to see some get built this year! Mike

PS, I will be working on an FE cowling for this hull in the spring!

I know I'm dragging up a very old thread, but can't get a response from Mike over email. Did an FE cowling ever get made? Interested in making this my next build. Has anyone done an FE version of this hull?
    PERTH AUSTRALIA
    || 2 x SV 27R || Impulse 31 - ver1 || Traxxas Spartan || Kintec Pursuit || Zonda Cat 41" || Insane FE30 || OuterLimits 870mm || TFL Ariane 36" || ProBoat Zelos 48 ||

Hey, Sorry, I just got an email from OSE and remembered you sent me a message. We have been prepping for this Hurricane thats coming. I did not make an FE cowling yet. Just have not had the time. The boat itself would be a beast as FE tho. It will handle the power and speed. Shoot me an email again if you have any more questions, and sorry for the delay, Mike

Hey Mike!

No problem. I think that prepping for a hurricane might just trump answering emails, so all good :-) Definitely interested in building it and trying an FE setup. From the pics it appears you could use the gas cowling in any case for an FE setup, just might appear a bit odd I suppose. Will email you again and get your thoughts on it. Still interested if anyone has done an FE build on this hull though.
    PERTH AUSTRALIA
    || 2 x SV 27R || Impulse 31 - ver1 || Traxxas Spartan || Kintec Pursuit || Zonda Cat 41" || Insane FE30 || OuterLimits 870mm || TFL Ariane 36" || ProBoat Zelos 48 ||