Default 100 MPH Mono

Shared from the German SAWS -
    Not sure who the pilot was, but it looks like Arnie with him on the dock-
    Congrats to Les Smith on the awesome design of the Raptor 55
    Awesome boat in person......

http://youtu.be/5UgzAMXlDtI

That is crazy. Nice boat for sure.

It was Ralph Moser.
    Congratulations, awesome accomplishment!!!

Also want to congratulate Mike Whitley (SpeedCraft Boats), Mike Whitney, and Les Smith.

moved thread

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Smock View Post
    It was Ralph Moser.
    Congratulations, awesome accomplishment!!!

Also want to congratulate Mike Whitley (SpeedCraft Boats), Mike Whitney, and Les Smith.

moved thread
    Thanks Doug, you know I always need a push in the right direction

First thing I though when I saw the video was, hmmm that looks kind of like s Speedcraft. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Chilli View Post
    First thing I though when I saw the video was, hmmm that looks kind of like s Speedcraft. LOL
    The funny thing is Mike (SpeedCraft boats) wouldn't have been upset if the guy had been honest with him. Whatever, I'm glad the boat made a SPLASH.

Hi,

i think i will write my opinion to that stuff. First: i am neutral to this stuff, i have no emotions regarding manufacturers or not. I simply buy a hull cause it looks cool and it is simply a basis for running saw. Never had a hull which ran really fine at 100mph...so you buy a raw "block".
    Now from a strictly technical/physical view:

Is the raptor a killer oval boat? Yes! Drove it at extrem stormy condistions and never had such a safe and fast running mono.
    Is the raptor a good saw boat? No

Why? Because of her bottom and asymmetric design.
    Hydrodynamic studies for highspeed vessels clearly stated: no negative pressure on the bottom.
    With that convex surfaces are good for displacement and semi displacement hulls, but not for planning vessels (stravitsky etc.).
    And the raptor has a bottom with convex surface on an extrem position relative to the CG.
    This is running really cool at speeds up to 65mph, but it get really critical at speeds above 75mph on calm water (SAW).
    This is clearly visible when looking at the power consumption of the 100mph pass (103 GPS). You also see how wet the boat is running. It is not only wet, it is sucked to the surface. This results in a power consumption of 30% higher than my older boats at 100mph and also reducing speed.

After 1.5 years working with the hull i tested everything to get it working with the convex shape. Now i am at a point (also related to the next SAW timeline) where i have to give up or do bigger changes in the hydrodynamics of the hull.
    We will see.

Raptor vs. Speedcraft or the copy stuff:
    Les stated in jrcbd that the hull is modified by 80% related to a speedcraft. And if i look at the proportions of a speedcraft and the vids how they are running without mods in the running surface i would say this statement is correct.
    I also have the opinion that the real big changes for handling are simply not visible by some pictures. Cause you are searching for diffences in 1-2mm areas or way more smaller.

If the speedcraft is straight or slighlty hooked in the bottom it is definitely a different boat.
    Maybe Doug can provide some data.

This is my impression, i do not claim it is 100% correct, it is an impression. It is a big distance between myself and the US so i have not much insight in the scene or relationships.

Regards
    Ralf

Again, simply technical, i have no interest in stupid wars. And can only laugh about the typical statements "it is a seaducer" only because a hull is having tunnel-design in the deck, a hook or a deep nose....riggers are basically also looking the same all over the world.
    It is like a corvette has 4 wheels and also a ford raptor svt...
    Last edited by Ralf; 04-24-2014 at 08:43 AM.
    WR T-Mono 108.95mph

Sheesh! Can't even express that on my keyboard!
    Why are you bothering me? I want to see your boat!
    32" CF Rivercat--- built by "kfxguy" (SOLD)

Hi Ralph,
    Don't let the noise bother you. It takes nothing away from you, or what you were able to do with the "Raptor".
    And actually, you wouldn't have read a word about any of this had Wes given credit where credit was due. He failed to do that, and it bothered those of us that watched Mike Whitley work his butt off on his monos. Mike did it right, he started with a pile of sticks, not someone else's design.
    Enough of that.

There is no hook in any of the SpeedCraft monos, 34,48,54, oval, or purpose built oval and SAWs boats. They don't need it to stay on the pond.
    Perhaps Wes should have kept a higher percentage of Mike's original design.
    SpeedCraft monos hold five IMPBA records currently, and around ten in total

Best of luck to you on your SAW efforts!

Much respect,

Doug
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    District 13 Director 2011- present
    IMPBA National Records Director 2009-2019
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Hi Doug,

thanks for the information.
    So the Speedcraft is basically a straight hull in the buttocks?
    This is something i would expect with the data i saw.

Now, for SAW it maybe would have been better left some stuff from the basic. But i can only say, that the Raptor is maybe not the fastest, otherwise has a really cool handling in stormy conditions.

It is funny when you are standing at the pond @SAW and you are hoping for more rougher conditions with a 100mph-Mono.
    Thank you, also good luck for your comps :)

Ralf
    WR T-Mono 108.95mph