Thread: New Impulse 31 v2 motor and prop upgrade

Default New Impulse 31 v2 motor and prop upgrade

Hello all,

New to boating and starting with a Impulse 31 v2 all stock right now. Running at 6s using (2) Venom 5000 35c 11.1v-burst at 50c (250a) per the specs.
    I have had trouble with the white lead from the motor to esc melting??? The wire even melted my tupperware lid..
    Proboat claims this is a water cooling problem, but on every run the water is shooting a foot out of the side port.
    Want to change the motor and prop to keep boat safe and still have speed. Or would welcome a setup for motor,esc and prop on the above battery config.

Any suggestions welcome....besides telling me to buy a different boat. Looking to keep price for motor and prop under $250.

Thanks, Derek
    Last edited by DSC1; 10-10-2013 at 04:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DSC1 View Post
    I have had trouble with the white lead from the motor to esc melting??? The wire even melted my tupperware lid..
    First off... Is it only the ONE wire?? My first thought would be to replace the contacts... or at least resolder them in place. It sounds like the white wire has a cold solder joint or something causing it additional resistance.

As for Props... Try a Grimracer 42x55, or an ABC 42x55... Faster, and easier on the power system, all at the same time.... WAY better than the stock, unfinished prop.
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

Yes only the white wire. I will have to learn to solder...probably a given with this.

is there a pitch i should go with on the prop? I noticed there are several to choose from.

Thanks for the reply...Any suggestions on the motor part or should i stick with stock on the 6s?

Yes only the white wire. I will have to learn to solder...probably a given with this.
    Yes... Get yourself a quality soldering station, and learn to use it.

is there a pitch i should go with on the prop? I noticed there are several to choose from.
    The Grimracer 42x55 is a specific prop.

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...od=dh-aqub9725

It's diameter is "42mm" and it's advertised pitch is "55mm" (42x55). I have run it extensively on the IM31 and really like the way it delivers thrust and how the boat handles with it on there, everything else setup correctly, of course.

Thanks for the reply...Any suggestions on the motor part or should i stick with stock on the 6s?
    There are a LOT of motor options out there. I really don't run around on 6S much. Seems good for sport running, but all our race classes where this boat runs are 4S max, so haven't had much time or need to run 6S.

You'd want something in the 1400-1500KV range for running 6S regularly. You'll be well served to do some research here on that topic. LOTs of people here swapping in motors they seem to like.

For me, I run Castles or Neus mostly... which can be spendy. People have had good reports running Leopards, etc. You'll just have to do some research.

For a Leopard, I'd probably start with this one for that setup: http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...o-3674&cat=148

The 1400KV for 6S, using the stock 80A ESC, would probably do alright. The ESC can handle quite a bit. The 4mm contacts, well, can't. That's where you learning to solder comes into play... :)

Hope this helps.
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

Cool...Thanks