Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Fine Design RC 54" Custom Geico

Yes it works great.

wasted 2 months 2 years ago because of those leaking cooling blocks in the fightercat esc. ben was helpful replacing esc's and I discovered the leaks by accident!. was a newbie to electric and who would have thought the esc would leak ?!!

Yes that is exactly what happened. Fine Design had a a few of them go on the ESC's. The ESC's are great except for the cooling. and told them either change your These ESC's were re-designed ..the ESC just like the castles now have cooling tubes instead of the blocks. They are quite thinner ESC's and a little wider since they moved the capacitors .

Yes that is exactly what happened with this one,. The ESC's are great except for the cooling. I know they talked to the manufacture and told them either change your design or they will not buy from them anymore. They re-designed the ESC just like the castles and have cooling tubes instead of the blocks. They are quite thinner ESC's and a little wider since they moved the capacitors ... As far as I know all the Fine Design ones are the new ones now

800kv 12s with a 60mm prop with a single, thats a high amp setup. That boat would rip even on 10s, be advised that the 12s setup will pull a ton of amps. Even if Fine Design gives it the OK last thing you want is another burnt esc in that hull. Most guys running 800kv motors run 10s MAX in a single boat.

I'm sure my post here will be deleted as it seems most of mine are for some reason lately, but I have to bring some experience to this thread.

Don't go by what Fine Design tells you. I couldn't even begin to estimate how many people have contacted me after being burned by fine design and his unrealistic setups. I have a FD built boat here right now (after sending it back 3 times, FD's customer finally gave up and sent it elsewhere). I will be reserved in my assessment of his work, but I will say that it really upset me when I saw what he did to his customer's boat.

The Flier ESCs did have a problem with some of the cooling blocks leaking, but goes beyond that. Even the car models failed for no reason. They are an ESC that can in some instances be quite resilient and run very cool, until they don't.

Congrats on such a nice paint job OP! It looks fantastic!

I don't know much about ESC's or anything really for that matter. I just put batteries in it and play. As long as it is under warranty for the year it's not an issue. IF it breaks they will replace it. If for some reason it fails after the one year warranty I will switch to a castle or swordfish maybe. Idk about the castle 200 though.. It is 50V max and Im running 44V. Isn't that pushing it? How many volts in the 12S swordfish 240

In that size boat you would want to go with the Swordfish 300. There's no reason to use the 240 really, you have the room for the 300.
    SF 300 is rated up to 15s lipo and 300A. I have personally ran them on 14s, I haven't actually seen anyone test 15s.

Keith what do you know?

swordfish 300 would be the best option. its awesome. I have run 13s with mine no problems so far.

Anyway about FDM, that setup is crazy on 12s. sure it'll work but not forever. Do you have some 2 5s packs to play around with? You spent a lot of $ with them so I too would probably go with their rec., they're the experts right. I am surprised they gave the go ahead for 12s. That mystic isn't a straight away record setter its a very nice sport boat that can handle turns like a race car. Sometimes you have more fun on lower voltage anyway.

Cold water helps....a little...but really the heat buildup starts in the middle of the component and radiates out. Stuff still cooks in the winter.

Chris Fine here... couldn't help but notice this thread on the 53 Mystic. My combinations are sound and tested. GPS thermal gun readings and the reality that our motors are just plain better technology than a 4 pole. If anyone would like to challenge any of my claims for speed on any particular hull I look forward to it. ALL of my combinations are tried and true. During the summer, I spend much of my time testing and tuning multiple combinations-- not just for speed, but for run time, mah drawn/minute, 1 motor vs. another and batteries against batteries to truly get accurate combinations that I stand by 100%. 6 pole motors rule. With over 25 years experience, I am, Chris Fine

"It is better to remain silent and be thought of as a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt."
    -Abraham Lincoln

I was able to go out today with it and drain a set of batteries with it. Ran without a hiccup. Setup was warm to the touch only. Not hot.

I don't have any 5S packs. Why is the setup crazy for 12S if the ESC is rated to handle the voltage and amps. I won't know the difference between the 10S and 12S in it until I get some 5S packs. I know when the tested the build they did it on both 5S and 6S. They did say as you did it still rips even on the 10S . But it rips more on the 12 I am sure .

Someone mentioned that ESC's are the weak link in fast electric. Why is that? Are the manufactures over rating them?

It is a good question and I want to say that no matter how it is answered, there will be different opinions and debate.
    Some makers underestimate their ESC, case in point: the now out-of-business ESC maker Shulze, a reputable German maker. I have a 45" mono that runs 12s with a Neu 2230 and a Shulze 40.160 ESC, bullet proof. The 160 A rating is clearly under rated, very conservative rating by the manufacturer.
    Not to say others over rate their product, the polite way to say is that it is possible to have different rating method which will give unrealistic rating, or should I say unrealistic at us end user's hand---this statement is not directed to Chris Fine ESC, if you read some of the recent threads regarding ESC failures, you will learn valuable opinions and facts . https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...isappointed***
    The suggestion of 10s is to have some reserve, if you are not looking for max speed at every run, then 10s will prolong the service life of your equipment. Your usage condition may differ than how the boat is tested , not to say the test is done over optimistically, just saying that there are many factors and even how you drive has a huge bearing on the well being of the ESC, also the type and quality of your batteries play an even more important/deciding role on the life expectancy of your hardware.
    The boat is beautiful, and I am glad to see how well it is restored!
    Have lots of fun boating!

It seems to me that ESC failure is a common and happens with all brands ..the link you posted is failure with a swordfish a top brand. and user urb00007 says his fightercat took a crap too. Maybe it is true more than others I suppose?. Does Swordfish have the least failure rate? So all one can do is take measures to not push the amps/voltage to allow longer life and a less chance of failure? I will contact Fine Design and ask if they too recommend running it on 10S to allow more "Reserve"..

Yes, it was restored great. My mystic 29 hit 52 mph with nothing but an upgraded prop, and this one is faster. I think I hit 60 yesterday, hopefully I can verify my speeds soon with radar or GPS. It could go faster , but the boat makes small of the lake I run in. and It's a big lake ! Chris says I should be able to reach around 70, I don't think that is unrealistic after yesterday . The packs were not fully charged either. I am impressed with the speed considering the boat is pretty heavy especially with the two 6s packs in it.. I am thinking now if I went with a smaller, lighter hull how sick it would be...

Good to hear it is up and running again,
    On the cells I think 40c turnigy should be fine for the sport boating that you are doing.
    Also you may want to look in to the new Dinogy red sport packs 30c.

Did you take a photo of the itemized receipt yet of all the parts/ manufacture info etc that is in it ?
    How come no video's of it yet ?
    ? ONLY IF THEY WORK

My youtube videos.http://www.youtube.com/user/61manx?feature=mhee

Mystic 53" CAT Fiberglass Central R/C Marine Hull
    Nemesis12000 watt 8mm shaft 50,000 RPM Max 5692 can, 800kv
    300 Amp HV-3-16S ESC Pro+ with Data Logger
    Tactic 2.4Ghz
    30mm tilting motor mount
    Hitec super torque 130oz@6v .24sec@4.8v
    8mm flex he to .250 cable size
    Hughey 1/4" cable with 1/4" stepped down to 3/16"
    CNC 60mm aluminum prop with .187 bore 1.4 pitch (changed to copper beryllium)

Lots of other hardware stuff.. everything is listed in even more detail (down to part #'s) in case i ever need to do repairs which is helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by tlandauer View Post
    It is a good question and I want to say that no matter how it is answered, there will be different opinions and debate.
    Some makers underestimate their ESC, case in point: the now out-of-business ESC maker Shulze, a reputable German maker. I have a 45" mono that runs 12s with a Neu 2230 and a Shulze 40.160 ESC, bullet proof. The 160 A rating is clearly under rated, very conservative rating by the manufacturer.
    Not to say others over rate their product, the polite way to say is that it is possible to have different rating method which will give unrealistic rating, or should I say unrealistic at us end user's hand---this statement is not directed to Chris Fine ESC, if you read some of the recent threads regarding ESC failures, you will learn valuable opinions and facts . https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...isappointed***
    The suggestion of 10s is to have some reserve, if you are not looking for max speed at every run, then 10s will prolong the service life of your equipment. Your usage condition may differ than how the boat is tested , not to say the test is done over optimistically, just saying that there are many factors and even how you drive has a huge bearing on the well being of the ESC, also the type and quality of your batteries play an even more important/deciding role on the life expectancy of your hardware.
    The boat is beautiful, and I am glad to see how well it is restored!
    Have lots of fun boating!
    Well said And to add something I didn't see which is often overlooked. Its often a good idea to prop down when you voltage up. Over propping is a common cause of failure. Its common to have different props for different voltages as well as I even have different props for different water conditions. Loading and unloading the prop in rough water can make some pretty good amp spikes.

Glad to see shes had a successful run.

My .02

Quote Originally Posted by fastasyoucan View Post
    chris fine here... Couldn't help but notice this thread on the 53 mystic. My combinations are sound and tested. Gps thermal gun readings and the reality that our motors are just plain better technology than a 4 pole. If anyone would like to challenge any of my claims for speed on any particular hull i look forward to it. All of my combinations are t.ried and true. During the summer, i spend much of my time testing and tuning multiple combinations-- not just for speed, but for run time, mah drawn/minute, 1 motor vs. Another and batteries against batteries to truly get accurate combinations that i stand by 100%. 6 pole motors rule. With over 25 years experience, i am, chris fine
    lmao
    Last edited by worriedsick4u; 11-06-2013 at 01:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by worriedsick4u View Post
    lmao
    I like the original post better! Lol

Quote Originally Posted by kfxguy View Post
    I like the original post better! Lol
    I was warned. But he is a jacka**

DSCN1955.jpgDSCN1956.jpgDSCN1957.jpgDSCN1958.jpgDSCN1959.jpg
    Built by Keith Bradley. Guaranteed not to fry. And he stands behind his work.

I'm no fan of FD...but it does appear that he did warranty the boat (ESC) and clean up/re-paint the boat for the customer....lets at least give him credit for that.

How many thousands on the Boat and a $65 dollar radio. Servo is kinda lame too for that size boat.
    Pretty though.

Quote Originally Posted by tman1753 View Post
    Mystic 53" CAT Fiberglass Central R/C Marine Hull
    Nemesis12000 watt 8mm shaft 50,000 RPM Max 5692 can, 800kv
    300 Amp HV-3-16S ESC Pro+ with Data Logger
    Tactic 2.4Ghz
    30mm tilting motor mount
    Hitec super torque 130oz@6v .24sec@4.8v
    8mm flex he to .250 cable size
    Hughey 1/4" cable with 1/4" stepped down to 3/16"
    CNC 60mm aluminum prop with .187 bore 1.4 pitch (changed to copper beryllium)

Lots of other hardware stuff.. everything is listed in even more detail (down to part #'s) in case i ever need to do repairs which is helpful.

@Worriedsick4u:
    That has to be the most detailed paint job I've ever seen on a RC boat. Propainter is one talented dude. I just shake my head in disbelief every time I see pics. What kind of speeds are you getting with that boat? I mean, without "superior 6 pole technology"?

@OP:

I don't really think ESCs are the weak point of a boat, when quality parts are used and the boat is built correctly. My HPR 135 has hit 126.7mph and never an issue with ESCs.
    The ESC can be a limiting factor when it comes to power delivery, but there are ESCs that are capable of powering any hull to it's speed limits, with the exception of maybe the 185cm boats and larger, and even then I think there is enough power availability to go as fast as anyone dares to.

The weak point of most problematic boats is design and/or execution.

Keith and all on this thread, I'm getting 108 out of her with room to spare. I ran out of water. Thanks for not using Chinese 6 pole technology. TMAN, use the 300's unless you want to spring for esc's after every run. I've learned in this hobby that it's best to get a couple opinions before making a decision. Check out the guys giving you the info you seek. Most of all, check out their feedback. Unfortunately for you, you chose a guy with bad feedback and a horrible reputation. My personal opinion and experience with Chris has been aired on this forum and I refuse to air it again. Good luck to you. I hope you get it all figured out and enjoy your boat.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12