Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Here is my UL-1

Default Here is my UL-1

Figured I post some pics of my set-up.

Two week old UL-1, three runs so far. I like it, fun to drive and I love that it's a little more technical to set up than my Titan 29(which runs whenever where ever)

Runs 1-3
    Stock ESC & Motor
    5.5 bullets on motor leads
    6.0 bullets on battery leads
    Added a 5mm Thrust Bearing to the motor from OSE
    Traxxas Slash receiver box
    Graupner carbon 3-blade 42mm prop.( the stock one broke on the first run)
    Replaced servo because the steering felt slow and rough, realized that it's due to the linkage rod being pretty hard to move just by hand. I'm buying new boots so that I can remove the old ones and re-do the linkage to be smooth and stress free.

Since I'm running it tomorrow. I added

castle cap bank
    CF Air dam
    Ran my file through the ruder and turn fin
    Scuffed the two ride pads.
    have a few CNC props to try out.

LHS was our of linkage rods and boots.
    I have a swordfish 120a on the way from Steve for next weekend!
    I also have a Tacon 36mm 4000kv (new) maybe I could try it on 2s!?

A few pics

Looks good, how does she ride on the water? Got any any videos?
    Try installing the batteries in sideways. It might help ballance it out.

I'll try that, so far it runs straight no bouncing. I'll try the battery placement see what happens.

I'll try to get a video during tomorrow's runs.

Thanks

Sounds good, I'm also going out tomorrow with a friend of mine with a Spartan. My fastest run has been 43mph and his gone 53mph.
    Any idea on the speed of your boat?????
    Last edited by stelerzman; 10-05-2013 at 10:52 PM.

Here's a tip, see if you can divert your output water cooling line up so you can see that the cooling system is actually working. Mine is aimed straight up. Here's a pic of mine.

20131005_225208.jpg

Here is the only vid of the ul1 I got today. Need to purchase a GPS

http://youtu.be/63BSvJk9EP8

Here are the pics of the props I tried out,

Grim 40x52 3-blade, Graupner 42mm 3-blade, cnc 644 & 945

I liked the 40x52 3-blade although it slipped for 20ft before it grabbed and got on plane so I got home and got out the balancer. She's ready to test on Thursday. Hopefully it will not slip as much and get me a nice top end too!!

Just watched the video,
    Where is your strut set? Looks like a bit of chine walking. Did you try mounting the batteries in sideways?

Quote Originally Posted by Shovelnoserc View Post
    Here is the only vid of the ul1 I got today. Need to purchase a GPS

http://youtu.be/63BSvJk9EP8

Here are the pics of the props I tried out,

Grim 40x52 3-blade, Graupner 42mm 3-blade, cnc 644 & 945

I liked the 40x52 3-blade although it slipped for 20ft before it grabbed and got on plane so I got home and got out the balancer. She's ready to test on Thursday. Hopefully it will not slip as much and get me a nice top end too!!
    Can you tell me what your findings are on running with the CNC 644 and 945? I have been running the Grim 40x52/3 on my BBY Zephyr, it is a bit narrower than the UL-1. The prop is very stable but i don't think this is the fastest prop for my set up.
    I remember my UL-1 really did not like two blade props such as the x 642 and x442. It was a nervous ride with lots of right-left-right motion. Your vid looks very good to me. There will be some right-left-right movement on a hydro anyway as long as it is not excessive. On my BBY it was the straight run that was plagued by this issue. After a number of experiments I made a straight turn fin and the problem is mostly gone.

@Steelerzman, I tried sideways, but the Velcro did not really grab on the batteries well and they shifted a little and that run was not fun, the boat bounced from left to right uncontrollably.

@tlandauer, My strut was at factory setting, I have not messed with it yet, I''m trying to go back out today after work.

Go get um'

Friend texted me a vid of the UL1 with the Grim prop( before balancing)
    http://youtu.be/EL_I1fp-7MU

Really, before ballancing??? Good for you. I couldn't get mine up on plane after I balanced and sharpened mine.

Yeah before my balancing. I have not tryied it yet after I messed with it. I'm doing my best to go tomorrow. See how it goes, need a buddy to record.
    I received my swordfish 120 ESC today, so on Sunday I'm going to try the 4000kv motor on 2s. According to my mathematical calculations it should make for a more powerful set up but thinking about it it might draw higher amps. Idk share your thoughts.

Although it adds up to less kv, I should be able to push more amps through the motor. Don't know if it will be as efficient. I'm looking to try it out. and I have a lot of 2s batteries.

Duplicate
    Last edited by Shovelnoserc; 10-07-2013 at 09:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shovelnoserc View Post
    Yeah before my balancing. I have not tryied it yet after I messed with it. I'm doing my best to go tomorrow. See how it goes, need a buddy to record.
    I received my swordfish 120 ESC today, so on Sunday I'm going to try the 4000kv motor on 2s. According to my mathematical calculations it should make for a more powerful set up but thinking about it it might draw higher amps. Idk share your thoughts.

Although it adds up to less kv, I should be able to push more amps through the motor. Don't know if it will be as efficient. I'm looking to try it out. and I have a lot of 2s batteries.
    I wish I had more knowledge for you. I'm a complete newbie. I purchased 4 batteries just for my UL-1 and now I only have 3 useable batteries. Check out the battery section in the main forum thread and see what more knowledgeable people are saying. It's very interesting. Info that a friend and I will apply.

Today's test went pretty well, after my attempt of "sharpening and balancing" the boat now does not cavitate as much and gets on a plane much quicker. During the run on the video it chined walked a little on the top end, at first I started to blame my prop work, but when I brought it in I noticed that I used my non Velcro batteries. So I slapped on a pair with Velcro and it did not chine walk at all. I don't have Video of the second run as I placed the phone in the boat to get a GPS reading. 41mph.

My friend threw his stock Motley Crew with his 2s trak powers I think they are 6000mah 60C or 70C. Vs my 5000mah 50C gens ace 10 month old pair. I pulled maybe 8 boat lengths on him. So I pulled the boat out to get the phone and get a video of them running, but he hit some debri and LOST his rudder it just came off the boat no damage to the transom, it must have stripped the threads on the blind nuts inside,.

http://youtu.be/ND9wSUpR1C4

Nice looking prop and congrats on the 41 mph. Before I fried my stock 60amp esc I pulled a 43mph run. Now I'm tring to fine tune my GR 40X57x3 prop. I hope to get the prop done so I can do more testing this weekend.

Nice work on the prop. I was running the Grim 40x52 on my Ul-1 also, best it did was 43 on gps. Switch up to a Grim 42x55 and it is now running 47 on gps.
    I do have a air dam on it as well as my Batteries set side ways in the sponson's. Strut is set a 15/16ths with 2 degrees positive angle. Turn fin is level with the boat and rudder is tucked all the way forward.

Modified Jae21, Stock Jae21, Cheetah, Ul-1, Shock Wave 26 V2 (Rescue Boat).

Nice boat Sir, Question on the air damn, does it help getting up on plane?
    Last edited by stelerzman; 10-09-2013 at 10:15 AM.

Doesn't have anything to do with getting on plane. Helps keep the boat stable at speed and keep it from blowing over.
    Modified Jae21, Stock Jae21, Cheetah, Ul-1, Shock Wave 26 V2 (Rescue Boat).

Great, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by stelerzman View Post
    Nice boat Sir, Question on the air damn, does it help getting up on plane?
    I noticed the air dam kept it planted on the water.

W/o it it lifts more, pretty much runs on the prop and rises up on the turn fin until it's time to turn then it lowers back down on the sponsons

I can't wait to get my boat running smooth. Hopefully I'll get to test it out tomorrow and tune it so I can install the airdamn.

I must have hit a little debri during my last runs, (video above) of my blades showed a little damage. I sharpened andbalanced the pro again trying to correct the damage, the blade still shows a slight dip whet it happened, but it's much thinner now! Plus I polished it.

Purdy.

Before I got rid of mine I was using a m445 on 4s(batts sideways into sponson), run low 50's all day per gps, no airdam, ran on rails
    I'm married with children, you can't scare me!

Was all electronics stock? What were your temps if you remember? Thanks.

All stock, low 100's for temp, @110 hottest it ran

Cool, got any videos? We'd love to see it run.

Sorry I don't, that was two computers ago

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast