Thread: how to cut down props ?

Default how to cut down props ?

just wondering if there is any info out there on how to cut down props say from 65mm to 60mm. haven't done this before and im really curious what needs to be done to reshape a prop afterwards. thanks guys

its hard form to explain right know , being whacked out after surgery , just cut down one blade , and make an imprint , then repeat it to the other side while keeping the balance , sharpness , and rake ...this will take time so don't rush .

p-m-2-c.pdf
    I use 2mm polar graph paper glued to poster board. Center punch for a bolt to go through to hold the prop. This will help you keep your sizes accurate without spending a lot of cash.
    I cut the whole prop to the size I want. Then like savage said I reshape one blade then make template to copy to the other blade/s.
    PDF at the top is of the print out I use.

I'm lucky enough to have a small Taig lathe to make them smaller by thousands of an inch at a time.
    Nortavlag Bulc

I have used a lathe and it is probably the best way, but I don't have regular access to one and am normally doing other work to the prop too, I usually just extend my Dremmel cut up the side of the blade as I am cutting the tongue off, I measure and mark the tips, do both blades the shape I want trying to get them as close to each other as I can by eye, make imprints of both blades in a lump of play-dough to find the smaller then carefully match the bigger blade to it, then thin the blades, balance prop, final sand and polish, sharpen blades, final balance, and run.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

This handy gizmo helps in accurately measuring both blades to equal them out once cut down

DSC04804.JPG
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

i like the caliper idea thanks guys. im going to try on a smaller prop eventually im going to have dasboata tune a set of props for me im really curious to see what kinda speed increase i get over the x457 with cut down x465s

I use a home made sander with a digital read out I can cut down a prop in no time before that a 1 " belt sander and alot of measuring !

Quote Originally Posted by properchopper View Post
    This handy gizmo helps in accurately measuring both blades to equal them out once cut down

DSC04804.JPG
    Nice simple and to the point. You could just belt sand the tips to equal and then finish shaping. Tony I like it and can hear my belt sander calling my to come down into the basement.
    Do It Like You Mean It .....or Don't Bother

I have one of the above calipers I don't use,, if some one wants it $50 shipped post here thanks chris

Quote Originally Posted by dasboata View Post
    I have one of the above calipers I don't use,, if some one wants it $50 shipped post here thanks chris
    Hi Chris,

I will take those calipers for $50. Is PayPal OK?

Thanks,
    Mike Ball

PP is fine use dasboata@aol.com for that they will go out tomorrow

Hey Chris, I started a new load of balancers today. I'm making 20 of them.

Steve Seebold

Who will be lucky enough to get one? Any idea on price?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mid Day Machining View Post

Steve Seebold
    Nortavlag Bulc

I'll sell them to anyone who wants one. The price is $75.00.

The balancer is 5 inches tall, 3 inches wide and the end plates start out at one inch thick plate. It weighs about 3 pounds so it doesn't move around on the table while you're working on your prop.

The rails are 3/8 diameter drill rod and the adjusting screw is 3/8-24 with a cap for easy adjustment.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very nice. It comes with Magnets and ground shaft(s) 3/16" & 1/4" ?? Would magnets be replaceable?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Nortavlag Bulc

Up till now the magnets have not been replaceable, but I have never been asked that question in the past. I'll check it out. and let you know.

Quote Originally Posted by Mid Day Machining View Post

Steve Seebold
    Steve best to start your own post in the 4 sale section !

Quote Originally Posted by ray schrauwen View Post
    Very nice. It comes with Magnets and ground shaft(s) 3/16" & 1/4" ?? Would magnets be replaceable?
    PS I have repaced the magnets a few times I drilled a hole in the alumin, behind the magnet and punched it out,,, you can use it Steve LOL now go start your own post LOL !!

here is a few i've been working on for the local guys i boat with IMGA0982 (2).jpg

Quote Originally Posted by dasboata View Post
    Steve best to start your own post in the 4 sale section !
    When I have a real picture of my balancer, I'll do exactly that.

Until then, I need some ABC 2716-15 2 blade props. Do you have any? I have a new Accu-Tech Gas Hydro coming and that's the prop James said I need to make that boat run good. I have a new Quickdraw 30.5cc engine for it.