Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sprint Cat 40/80 build components?

Any feedback on the best rudder and cooling pickup setup? I notice Fluid is not using a rudder with water pickups, is a flush/through sponson setup a better option? I have opted for dual pickup blades in my boats thus far, but I could see the possibility of the pickups not being far enough down into the water on something like this, especially with the tapered blade (the straight blade has the holes drilled farther down the blade for some reason).
    I'm trying to decide which rudder setup to put in my cart..........
    Also, I may just get a standard(not extended) strut for starters, as they are on OSE,......flat bottom or round?

Kevin, there is no problem with using the rudder pickup. I used the through hull because I was trying it out for a SAW application, the original use for my hull. If I was purpose building the boat for fun or ovals I'd use the rudder pickup.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Quote Originally Posted by Fluid View Post
    Kevin, there is no problem with using the rudder pickup. I used the through hull because I was trying it out for a SAW application, the original use for my hull. If I was purpose building the boat for fun or ovals I'd use the rudder pickup.

Thanks, I just edited my last post(again) as my question evolved.........
    What about the strut, flat or round? Any preference?

Neu 1527 1Y is on the way from H2o!

A flat strut is used only on hydros, giving an additional planing surface. Not needed or wanted on a cat.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Am I going overboard by planning on a 1/4 flex shaft?

probably, but at least you won't have to worry.

I'm still running .150 cables lol…. i think 3/16 would be sufficient

Quote Originally Posted by Heaving Earth View Post
    probably, but at least you won't have to worry.

I'm still running .150 cables lol…. i think 3/16 would be sufficient
    Most of your setups were high rpm/small prop, this will run much larger props. I'm sure 3/16 will be fine, but I was wondering if anybody saw any drawback to using 1/4", the motor shaft is already an 8mm anyway.......

Madmikepags and/or Fluid, could you direct me to a strut for this? The Sport .20/.21, and even the Speedmaster Large strut that I believe I used on my Sniper, all don't seem to reach deep enough from the mounting point, maxing out at 1/4"(at least) from the ride pad. The only one I can speculate would get deep enough is the "1/4" Cat stut", which eliminates the 3/16 shaft option..........
    http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...-SPDS-011-250R

My idea thus far was to lay the motor as flat as possible in the adjustable mount to allow the most options with the two different hatches, and make a slight "S" bend in the stuffing tube to compensate, as I have wanted to try that anyhow to reduce vibration. I am just a bit concerned about an "S" bend with 1/4" in a shorter length like I will probably have.......
    Last edited by kevinpratt823; 12-15-2013 at 04:10 PM.

with a 1/4 " shaft and the relatively short lenght from motor to the strut the 1/4" shaft will not be very smooth. I have the same .187 cable in my boat for 6 years with no problem and I run up to a 457/3 prop sometimes!!!. A speedmaster .21 strut should be fine, If it doesn't go down far enough cut the slot towards the top and you should be fine.
    We call ourselves the "Q"

Quote Originally Posted by madmikepags View Post
    with a 1/4 " shaft and the relatively short lenght from motor to the strut the 1/4" shaft will not be very smooth. I have the same .187 cable in my boat for 6 years with no problem and I run up to a 457/3 prop sometimes!!!. A speedmaster .21 strut should be fine, If it doesn't go down far enough cut the slot towards the top and you should be fine.
    Thanks for the feedback Mike!

This Speedmaster .21 strut has the slot ground out almost to the top, and it still doesn't seem it will reach far enough.......Thinking of ordering the "Large Strut"http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...os-large-strut in hopes that it reaches deeper..........any input on what strut works for this?

the struts I use are old aeromarine struts that they don't make anymore. If you are running a 50-52mm prop I usually have the strut set 1/4-3/8 up from the bottom of the sponsons so ur height might be OK? the large speedmaster strut should be better.

Thanks Mike.
    I have officially fired up power tools to close off the turbine cowl, I think it's time to start an actual build thread.......

build it and they will come

Actually, you're probably gonna end up running that strut up higher than you'd think.

Also you don't want that flat bottom strut on a cat hull.

Thanks for the input guys. Rumdog, I'll take your word for that, as I know you've built them before, but I would like some room for adjustment just in case.....And Raptor, if I used that strut I was planning on grinding it round, but I already ordered anothe round bottom large strut that will hopefully give me more options........

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12