Thread: Nue-Castle 1515 Y1 2200, Timing and Set up help

Default Nue-Castle 1515 Y1 2200, Timing and Set up help

I have been half the summer setting up my Motley, Aero and Trim are finally were I need them to be, runs low 70's very well for what it is.
    Now to get the temps down and run times up. I am running 2, 3S, 6000/35C packs. 4 minutes run time with the M445 puts me at, motor 160f, ESC 140f, Packs 100f. Thats with 15° timing. On 4s everything stays near 100 except the packs. Way hot, 140f.
    It does have dual pick ups, didn't make any difference.
    Will prop down today and play with timing. Any ideas or advice would be great...
    This Y motor is a mystery to me.

Thanks Joe
    Last edited by turbomania; 09-27-2013 at 05:58 PM.
    Motley Crew, Neu-Castle 1515 1Y 2200, 22 Volts, 180A ESC, Custom Motor Mount, .187 drive cable. Aero mod.
    Best 74.1 mph, Average 71 mph.

Is that (2) 2s packs in series? If you can fit a couple 4s(4000-5000mah) packs in paralell they would share the load and run cooler, otherwise you're already pushing a lot of the limits with that setup, at 14.8v you're pulling a lot of amps to go that fast. The motor will run best at about 15 deg, a couple deg more or less may make the motor run a bit cooler, but that's probably about it.

What connectors do you have on the batteries, what make of battery also I would be using higher c rating than 35c.

70mph with 4s and m445? How?

Sorry everyone, left out the most important part... I am running 6S. 2, 3S, 6000/35C ...
    Ran boat 4 times so far today, went down to a 42-55 Prop. Motor 145/150f, ESC 130f, not much cooler ??? Dropped timing down to 11°, same temps, timing at 7.5 same thing... Losses 2/3 mph on each timing drop.
    Motley Crew, Neu-Castle 1515 1Y 2200, 22 Volts, 180A ESC, Custom Motor Mount, .187 drive cable. Aero mod.

There's your problem. 6s is too much really

The problem on 6S is you are working way over the motors most efficient RPM. That means building up heat really fast so run times have to be very short. Your motor is much more comfortable on 4S and your temperatures show that. Are you running to low voltage cut off??

Quote Originally Posted by Heaving Earth View Post
    Especially for 4 minute runs. You may want to check your temp gun, I would think you would be getting much higher readings with that kind of setup, 48,000 rpms (especially with a 45mm) prop is a LOT to ask of that equipment even for just a couple passes. If you want the stuff to last, I would stick with 4s(quality packs), or get a lower kv motor(1600kv max on 6s for me). If you want to do 70+mph for 4 minutes, you may want to consider a more sturdy hull/setup, or at least do some reinforcing on the one you have, as a RTR hull will not handle too many crashes/blow-overs at that speed.

Agree !!! I like too much :)

Quote Originally Posted by Chilli View Post
    The problem on 6S is you are working way over the motors most efficient RPM. That means building up heat really fast so run times have to be very short. Your motor is much more comfortable on 4S and your temperatures show that. Are you running to low voltage cut off??
    LVC is off, I do timed runs. 2 minute and 4

It's fine that you do timed runs but the time has to be based on temperatures and how many mah you are sucking out of the packs. Do you know what voltage your cells are at when you put them on the charger? You may be over discharging them which would cause excessive heat, reducing their life and putting stress on the ESC.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpratt823 View Post
    Especially for 4 minute runs. You may want to check your temp gun, I would think you would be getting much higher readings with that kind of setup, 48,000 rpms (especially with a 45mm) prop is a LOT to ask of that equipment even for just a couple passes. If you want the stuff to last, I would stick with 4s(quality packs), or get a lower kv motor(1600kv max on 6s for me). If you want to do 70+mph for 4 minutes, you may want to consider a more sturdy hull/setup, or at least do some reinforcing on the one you have, as a RTR hull will not handle too many crashes/blow-overs at that speed.
    The gun is off about 5 degrees, checked it against a K type TC at work...
    This thing is parts and pieces I rounded up for $300, as I am finding out , not the ideal combo... It's my cheap learning boat. :) it has survived lots of trial and error lower speed crashes, while figuring out the Aero and trim. It is just about toast from 55.mph blow overs. Now that its runs safe on the water, I am trying to learn more about this motor so next season I can put it all in a nice hull.
    Thanks everyone for your advice and many many awesome post that have helped a newbie learn a lot in 2 months... The wiper blade trick is the best.. THANKS !!!
    Sorry to ramble on....

Joe
    Last edited by turbomania; 09-27-2013 at 10:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rumdog View Post
    I Love The Rumdog!
    Twissted is 2nd.
    hey! i mean i have almost read every damn post here( on OSE) you guys crack me up but i have learned a lot from you guys you just can not put them in a box and secure it. There are others but you two have to be the the most complex minds on here.
    I admire that.
    this site is truly one of the most fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilli View Post
    It's fine that you do timed runs but the time has to be based on temperatures and how many mah youcould be sucking out of the packs. Do you know what voltage your cells are at when you put them on the charger? You may be over discharging them which would cause ece2ssive heat, reducing their life and putting stress on the ESC.
    A 4 minute run with the M prop uses about 75% of the pack. With less prop it's about 60%. Before using a .187 shaft i could not run a decent prop or run times were less, broken shafts and lots of adjustments. Now that it's dialed in, I'm able to push things harder.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Rumdog View Post
    The OP ORIGINALLY ( before the edit!) did not say it is on 6s, legit questioning.

Quote Originally Posted by ;529318
    I Love The Rumdog!
    Twissted is 2nd.
    hey! i mean i have almost read every damn post here( on OSE) you guys crack me up but i have learned a lot from you guys you just can not put them in a box and secure it. There are others but you two have to be the the most complex minds on here.
    I admire that.
    this site is truly one of the most fun.
    Am I missing something here???
    Mr. Rummler here has built boats that run very fast, not to mention that his cable turns the right way and therefore doesn't come unraveled...
    That must be it, I had a long day, good night folks!

Quote Originally Posted by tlandauer View Post

Am I missing something here???
    , not to mention that his cable turns the right way !

That's funny!

The Nue 1515 1y is a 4s motor for oval racing period, I have been running the same one for 12 years now using 140F as my top temp. You are using a SAW setup and should be running it for less than a minute, you WILL blow the motor and speed control. The Nue's are one of the best motors available but must be used with in their limits. For 6s you need a 1521 1y or 1527 1y and a better hull.

agreed I have a 2200kv castle and would never run it past 5s on a very modest prop,its a hundred dollar motor with decent torque but it has limits....6s in any boat for sure is a saw setup with a 2200kv but who knows for how long until she goes kaboom and smokes an esc and/or your lipos, Tread carefully my friend yikes.If you want to run for more than a minute or two pickup a lower kv motor and the highest mah and c rating batts you can like some dinogy cells possibly and a tp power or leopard motor.... or if budget allows an actual neu motor then prop it accordingly.M series props are a good all around prop to use as they lower amp draw and increase top speed usually as they are detongued so only neg affect is holeshot performance.

Try a X445 or a that should drop temps a bit but also may drop some speed to,
    And try two minute runs and check temps.
    If you have any 3 blades like a x445/3 or x446/3 or x447/3 try them for a 1 minute run and check temps and speeds,
    They may help a little bit to.
    ? ONLY IF THEY WORK

My youtube videos.http://www.youtube.com/user/61manx?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by lenny View Post
    Try a X445 or a that should drop temps a bit but also may drop some speed to,
    And try two minute runs and check temps.
    If you have any 3 blades like a x445/3 or x446/3 or x447/3 try them for a 1 minute run and check temps and speeds,
    They may help a little bit to.
    I used to run a X442, it's at the bottom of the lake now... Decent temps and mid/upper 60's. That's why i tried the old 42-55, it's a 60 mph prop without much bite. Figured temps would drop a bunch... didn't happen.
    Thanks for the advice Lenny.

Thanks everyone for your input !!! It appears 2200kv and 22 volts get hot fast. Not a good combo. I'm over going 70 mph anyway. It was a fun goal, learned alot about boat set up for cheap..
    Looks like 4S for this motor is the way to go. It must take some nice packs to feed this beast. My cheap 2s 4000/40C, x2.... packs can't handle the job. They get hot fast !!!
    On a quick note, I live on a no wake channel, just do fun runs, no racing. 4 minute runs, i probably only make 2 or 3 WOT passes, the rest is just 45/50 mph running around. This probably heats up the ESC ???
    Consider me the durability testing guy...lol Neu-Castle must make a hell of a motor, this thing has 40 plus runs on 6S, Then the Cheap Turnigy 180A ESC, Wow, it comes in almost every time at 130/140f. The one thing that makes no sense, Why have it go WOT if it losses signal ??? That could be dangerous, seems like the AQ ESC would default, no run... that make more sense...

Joe

This is with the X442.

That is the same prop I have on my Daytona using the same motor as you but on 4s and I have not done much testing with it,
    It just runs pretty good the way it is for now.

I like running the 3 blades with the mono's I have been running and testing,
    They have less torque roll on the hulls and good top end speeds and ride smoother to.
    And I also think they have less amp draw on the setup from the temp I am getting using them,
    Compared to the M props so far.
    ? ONLY IF THEY WORK

My youtube videos.http://www.youtube.com/user/61manx?feature=mhee

fyi. i run mine on 5s and it does well.

fyi. i run mine on 5s and it does well.
    Another good option... Thanks.

Lenny, have had my eye on a Fightercat hull for next year, man that thing looks to run nice in the water. How does it do in the chop ?? Am looking for something that can handle a wave or 2. Should I step up in size ? How big is to big ? 55 mph and stable would be great.
    It was a fun challenge to make it in the 70's for $300... Well $340, I had to buy the .187 cable and coupler... None of those on Craig's List.... Lol...

Joe