Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turnigy 180a ESC

Default Turnigy 180a ESC

For those of you who are not aware, this ESC will handle up to 8s. I have not tried any higher so I won't say that it can, I can only speak of what I know. So point is, if you don't want to spend the extra money, you can get 2 of these for close to the same as one swordfish. Granted I wouldn't run it as hard as a swordfish, longevity will surely be an issue, however if you are like me and only do a couple passes on 8s full throttle, then the rest just farting around, this is a solid contender for the budget minded...... just something to consider

Or for $10 more..... http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...d=hef-HB80200L
    And run within specs...
    "There's nothing else I really want to do other than get up and build boats." - Mike Fiore

Thats 130.00........ I can get 2 Turnigy's for 160........thats the point....... in a twin set up that's a 100.00 savings

I run a pair of them in my Zonda I did upgrade the caps that came on a piece of wire. I more than doubled there capacity.

and this is what they look like in my boat.
    and this is a video of them on 6s http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Q3oolETu90
    and these are what I would like to run on 8s
    twissted from speed. Lead, fallow or get out of the way. Copy cats in back of the buss!!!

You know whats interesting with that set up, for what reason I don't know, may just be pure coincidence, but this has been consistent: Lips x 10 = mph

6s I could hit 60
    7s I hit 70
    8s I hit 80

I won't try over 8s with these, I am sure 8 is too much, but it works so what can I say........ I bought those swordfish 200 8s escs, I have already sent them back 2x

That is a great deal on 200 amp esc's.
    twissted from speed. Lead, fallow or get out of the way. Copy cats in back of the buss!!!

You know whats interesting with that set up, for what reason I don't know, may just be pure coincidence, but this has been consistent: Lips x 10 = mph

6s I could hit 60
    7s I hit 70
    8s I hit 80

I won't try over 8s with these, I am sure 8 is too much, but it works so what can I say........ I bought those swordfish 200 8s escs, I have already sent them back 2x

@ Twissted - Nice 80s *!***!***!***!** music on the video. :)

Sent from my Galaxy III S using Tapatalk 2

Am I missing something?? Did you say that the t180 esc will be fine on 8s lipos?

Yes sir, but don't say it too loud, i don't want them "Turnigjy" catching on and fixing the glitch

Travis i know you mean well, but this will cause issues down the road.
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

I tied it and the esc goes into protective shut down. I just installed some cheep 200 amp esc to run my 4074 1200 kv motors in the zonda. Should be fun to see 35.00 esc's in action. I will keep a close eye on them. no need to damage the boat.

Turn off LV cut off. You should have asked if u couldnt get it

I just said it did, your saying it don't, maybe your calling me a liar?

Sorry, I do that alot

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Vaccaro View Post
    Travis i know you mean well, but this will cause issues down the road.
    Just trying to be informative. I am sure I am not the only one on a budget that still want's to keep up with the Jones', or at least I hope I am not the only one on one. As with anything, this info is for those that are responsible and capable of self control. I have been running it like that for quite some time without trouble, as do my friends now that I showed them how.

Hey it's the only thing in the video doing 80! something needs to be doing 80. Lol!
    Quote Originally Posted by sboti74 View Post
    @ Twissted - Nice 80s *!***!***!***!** music on the video. :)

Sent from my Galaxy III S using Tapatalk 2

Uhh sorry boys, as Steve has suggested this will cause problems. Reason is that the 180 is max 6s, I know people have successfully ran 26 volts but they are experienced in what their setup is. If you are telling the masses a t 180 will be fine on 33.6 volts then you are going to mislead people and cause problems- I.e. fire, injury. I suggest that you run your setup on 8s and reply with your findings.

You're "budget" is gonna go right out the window when you smoke both esc's and have to replace them. Not a smart move. Just remember, when they let go, so can your packs, and motors, and rx.

dude, I got rid of the deans long ago!!!! LMAO

Hey, I hear ya, but I am telling ya, it is what it is........ Maybe they are built like Fosgate amps of old, I don't have the answer, but they work and have continued to work. Don't get caught up thinking its SAW all day long.......... Remember, I said RESPONSIBLE BOATER WITH SELF CONTROL.......IF you can't maintain the urge, then absolutely don't do this at home

Going on several months. I'll check my receipts from KBB to confirm, but its been MONTHS..... I had these BEFORE I bought Swordfish 200a. If you can explain to me why these still work and my 200's have been sent back 2x, have at it. I had 1480'w or something similar before the 1600kv. KBB diagnosed the initial 200a failure to a bad motor. I have ran these ever sense. Maybe I am just a lucky guy. But I won't try anything higher, I maybe nuts, but I am no fool

Just as I had mentioned, I have been using this set up for the majority of 3-4months and still going strong. I included the email between KBB and I which helped me narrow down the time frame since it seems some are just not coming to grips with the fact that for what reason I can't explain, these things are pretty impressive ESC's for 80.00

Travis B.

May 20

to keith
    Sounds good, no worries, I didn't want to bug........ I was thinking of taking you up on the suggestion of running a twin setup in my fantasm....... I have 2 leopard 4092 1480kv and 2 turnigy 180a escs, what prop would you suggest? I have run that prop forever without problems. I have the Turnigy 65-130c 5000mah...........

The motor issue I can check... The reliability is key!!!

Thanks

IMG_20131022_091231.jpgIMG_20131109_150915.jpg

Going on another month and half utilizing the t-180's, hitting 85mph, on 8s, they are still running strong. Despite the detractors, these are by far the best ESC's on the marker for the money and CAN handle 8s power. I have burned up 3 Swordfish 200 8s esc's on the same setup that the t-180 which is half it's size takes my CF Fantasm to 80 plus MPH.

there are reasons companies don't rate esc's at their full capacity. Most of which is a safety buffer for user setup errors. 8s is just not recommended. Now that doesn't mean im telling you personally not to do it, we do live in a free country. But running around and telling people to run 8s can literally be harmful to ones health. I've been there when opening a tightly sealed boat that engulfed the entire compartment when it got a good doses of oxygen. It wasn't pretty.

Id love to see data on your setup. Your average amp draw over and esc heat. Ive successfully been running t180's at 6s and 150amps, things get hot. At 8s and 150 amps that's approx 1000 more watts. I couldn't imagine what the temps would be.
    Steven Vaccaro

Also did you contact the vendor you got the swordfish from? So far I've only had one return on a 8s esc. You having three would put up some serious red flags. Maybe it was a bad batch.
    Steven Vaccaro

I just got the t180 with program card. Is normal to not be able to adjust the timing with the card? Also it will only allow me to make the lvd at 3.4 max????????

There are a couple others who share your concerns. It was further requested of me to report back after sometime to say how it was going. I did that and am happy to say that the T-180's simply rock. I don't know what else to say. I have said to be responsible etc etc, but if you want to run 8's, it can take it. That should not mean to be taken as drive it with reckless disregard. It is just that, your own risk. But I have done it for months and where the swordfish esc's have failed, the T-180's are still strong.

KBB can confirm that I have bought several Swordfish ESC's 200/8 from him. I did initially think it was a bad batch, but then I bought one that was used, from him, months later. Again after 2 passes FAILED. Turnigy's go back in, no prob. Maybe it's my setup that for whatever reason just works for Turnigy but don't for Swordfish.

I have 41" Fantasm, (2)Leopard 1600kv, 3/16 flex drives, 5018 CNC 3 blade props. I run my props counter rotating (inward) My COG is around 33-34%. My temps are that I always pass the 5sec rule. Timing is set at 15, LVC is turned OFF. I have a Hobby Wing program box that I program it with and it has only 4 options.

Is there something that I missed? I am more than happy to break it all down, but what I don't do is get into a debate about it working because I know it does, I am still utilizing it, so to argue is pointless........

No, that's not my experience...... I have a Hobbywing program box tho

It also isnt letting me select the cell count...
    Do you think its defective?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast