Page 32 of 34 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 LastLast

Thread: TFL Hobbies "Popeye" Hydro: P-Sport Hydro

Got a few runs in for first time with lipos in parallel. Looking for longer run times. First vid ironically Tx Batteries died so was short run. Second vid next day I got 5 1/2 mins compared to normally 3 min runs. It seems to run the same with two lipos up front or 1 up front. Actually on this windy day it ran better with the extra weight up front. Im using two 4S Gens Ace 5300 packs.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P9Ikdnq9FOg

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=I16YCVfoRnc
    Last edited by Jlov; 04-19-2014 at 05:12 PM.

It runs very nice John, KUDOS!!

Se you next weekend at the pond hopefully in my Monte Carlo.

Quote Originally Posted by Doby View Post
    Nortavlag Bulc

Quote Originally Posted by Doby View Post
    Great running boats! Love them all!
    (BTW, you guys don't need year round open water)

Quote Originally Posted by Jlov View Post
    Got a few runs in for first time with lipos in parallel. Looking for longer run times. First vid ironically Tx Batteries died so was short run. Second vid next day I got 5 1/2 mins compared to normally 3 min runs. It seems to run the same with two lipos up front or 1 up front. Actually on this windy day it ran better with the extra weight up front. Im using two 4S Gens Ace 5300 packs.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P9Ikdnq9FOg

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=I16YCVfoRnc
    I see who else doesn't need year round open water!

Question for someone as I'm about to go run boat again with lipos in parallel. When I did run the lipos in parallel yesterday and got 5 1/2 min run time the ESC and lipos were at 148* after the run. Engine was only 95*. Is that to hot for ESC? Like the longer run time but not at the expense of my ESC and lipos. Thx Jeff

Jeff.
    Usually, there is less voltage depression under load with parallel packs. Therefor the motor revs a bit higher. That creates a higher ampdraw with the same size prop. That coupled with the extra weight & longer run time can build up the heat a bit more. The motor seems to handle it well enough. How much was left in the packs at the end of the run? They weren't too low were they. Heat builds up quickly in packs & ESC when the packs start to become over depleted, as I'm sure you know. I'm sure you didn't take them down too low, but even at the 20%-25% they can start to increase in temp at a higher rate sometimes.

Well here's another test run with the Popeye. I used it as a Restricted class hydro a few weeks ago with the 1500kv motor & 45A ESC (club regs) & came away with a 1st, 2nd, & a 3rd for the day.

But now I've put a TFL SSS 4074 2200kv motor & seaking 180 in it. Now it's back to the speed it was meant to do.
    Here's a video from yesterday at Sippy Downs.

Last edited by 785boats; 04-20-2014 at 09:40 PM.

Nice video from afar. She's haulin!

Check how many mah go's back in the packs after that 5 1/2 min run,
    I would cut run time back to 4 minutes and check temps on cell and esc again.
    That 148f temp is a little high on them,
    I like to keep temps at 135f on most on my setups.

Quote Originally Posted by Jlov View Post
    Question for someone as I'm about to go run boat again with lipos in parallel. When I did run the lipos in parallel yesterday and got 5 1/2 min run time the ESC and lipos were at 148* after the run. Engine was only 95*. Is that to hot for ESC? Like the longer run time but not at the expense of my ESC and lipos. Thx Jeff
    ? ONLY IF THEY WORK

My youtube videos.http://www.youtube.com/user/61manx?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by 785boats View Post
    Jeff.
    Usually, there is less voltage depression under load with parallel packs. Therefor the motor revs a bit higher. That creates a higher ampdraw with the same size prop. That coupled with the extra weight & longer run time can build up the heat a bit more. The motor seems to handle it well enough. How much was left in the packs at the end of the run? They weren't too low were they. Heat builds up quickly in packs & ESC when the packs start to become over depleted, as I'm sure you know. I'm sure you didn't take them down too low, but even at the 20%-25% they can start to increase in temp at a higher rate sometimes.

Well here's another test run with the Popeye. I used it as a Restricted class hydro a few weeks ago with the 1500kv motor & 45A ESC (club regs) & came away with a 1st, 2nd, & a 3rd for the day.

But now I've put a TFL SSS 4074 2200kv motor & seaking 180 in it. Now it's back to the speed it was meant to do.

Awesome that you took 1st, 2nd and 3rd!
    Vid. looks fantastic with the TFL motor. Nice place to run, you must have great hand-eye coordination: I won't dare to drive my boats if I have to stand that far back from the shore line.

Here's a few more vids. Kept trying to avoid that crab trap buoy but eventually it got me.... No damage though luckily

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hUFuou2cAoE

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HjBTYB5Ohgs

SloHD.
    Thanks.
    Yep. He's sitting pretty with that set up.

tlandauer.
    Awesome that you took 1st, 2nd and 3rd!
    Vid. looks fantastic with the TFL motor. Nice place to run, you must have great hand-eye coordination: I won't dare to drive my boats if I have to stand that far back from the shore line.
    I hadn't finished my GP310 for the restricted class so I threw the gear in the Popeye just to pick up some points at least. It surprised the hell out of me. And a few other club members. Not the fastest boat out there, but rock solid.

I wasn't even standing near the camera man. I was driving from the little jetty down where the boat was launched. The blue buoy in the blue water at the top turn was a bit tricky to spot from there.

The thing with those SSS motors is that where most other motors out there have a rotor with 4 magnets, they have 6 magnets. They claim a 20% increase in torque. I think they are probably right.

Jeff.
    Any buoy on the water is a boat magnet. Glad there was no damage. Was the buoy ok?

Yes 785 the buoy was unscathed.... I got a run in out on boat today
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVFMs_pgDCw

Hey Slo what's up with your CF Popeye? Been watching for a build thread. I've got the new multi color Popeye on order so will also be building one soon again. Jeff

Just posted it in the build section Jeff.

More information of TFL products, welcome to visit TFL Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/TFL-H...8451344?ref=hl

Also welcome to share your boating on our Facebook!
    When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
    Email: monicagong76@qq.com

Quote Originally Posted by 785boats View Post
    Jeff.

Great job, Paul!
    When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
    Email: monicagong76@qq.com

Thanks Monica.
    They are a fun boat to drive.

Finally got the new multi color Popeye today. Couple of pics before I start the build. Really impressed with the paint job looks awesome.....

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Also if a Popeye owner will compare for me as I've sold my other Popeye hull,the angle on rear of sponson where the turn fin mounts looks more pronounced then on my first Popeye. See last pic. I did not shim the turn fin on my first Popeye as was recommended but think I may have to on this one as the angle seems even worse on this new hull. Thx Jeff

Hull does look fantastic!
    Can't tell you how the angle is on you hull, I mean I can't tell by the picture. Mine was vertical, ( your looks a bit slanted may be just the picture) , it was the lateral surface was not "true" the ( perpendicular) to the imaginary center line.

Yes that what's I'm saying Tim. The angle looks more severe on this new hull. Thinking shim is going to be a necessity. Didn't have much luck making one on my first Popeye. That's why I left it off on first one

I made one out of G-10 FG plate, I put a piece of sand paper on a hard glass table top and started putting more pressure on one side of the little piece. In no time a wedge shape is formed, like a door stop. But my sponson was mildly angled and the thin piece was sufficient. You may have to look for a thicker piece of ply wood, shape it correctly then seal it with either epoxy or CA.
    May be another picture showing the bottom of the mounting surface, not the side view as you have shown.
    I can't wait to see her in the water!

Yes Tim I saved that pic you sent me of shim but this angle definitely is more severe.

Attachment 115637

I haven't gotten to turn fin yet so cross that bridge when I come to it.
    I did get some work done on it tonite. I'm in a hotel for a few nights so limited to what I could do but had to dig into it some....lol. Here's a few pics. Really like this Speedmaster hardware it's well built and like the rudder design. Thanks Slo for the tip on where to buy it.

Looks great! Is that a TFL dual pick up rudder mounted to a Speed Master bracket???!!! Wow!

Yes had to trim rudder a little to fit on Speedmaster bracket and drill two new holes.

Hull looks very nice Jeff. That is an odd choice to mate together back there. Looks fine anyway. Looking forward to watching it get built. Sorry my build has been on the back burner as of late. Just been burned out on it, and focusing on my onroad cars. I'll be back on it soon.

Got some more work done. Got linkage rod and holder mounted. I found some 9/32 x 1/4" OD stuffing tubing at Ace that's silver instead of the normal brass as I like the way it matches the hardware. Got the turn fin and shim mounted and at correct angle hopefully. I switched the water inlet lines from top of boat to come thru transom instead and ran antenna wires out the top thru holes where water lines were originally. Still few more things to do hoping to get her wet this weekend.

Jeff, you are the man! Great job! Can't wait for your video!

Finished the remaining stuff. Mounted in servo and linkage. Got t-nuts mounted and epoxied in. Installed weather stripping for seal on hatch lip. JB welded stuffing tube to strut and sealed hole on bottom of hull. So all done and now it's raining by me today.....
    Heres last pics will post vids after first run.

Nice job Jlov.
    You are going to turn some heads when you drop that thing on the water.
    I really like the paint job on these boats. RC Boat Bitz, here in Australia sell them as the "Viper" for anyone here in Aussie land, looking for one.

Just one thing to try on your test day. I find that the boat seems a bit more stable with the battery mounted across the tub about halfway between the motor & the front of the boat.
    Try it both ways & see what you think.

All the best.
    Paul.

Page 32 of 34 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 LastLast