Page 12 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: TFL Hobbies "Popeye" Hydro: P-Sport Hydro

i see it but don't have any info at all on it....it would be nice to get a blank hull like that that.....wonder what jan will charge for it
    MY RETIREMENT PLAN?????.....POWERBALL
    74 vintage kirby clasic hydro, pursuit mono, mg, 47'' mono, popeye hydro...

Quote Originally Posted by tlandauer View Post
    Did anyone see the CF hull from TFL??!!
    http://kintecracing.com/
    That deffinetly looks badass, and I'd love to have one. But I want to get my FG Popeye running way better before I pull the trigger on a CF version!

chris we both have to either take out the motor and move it forward or put some weight in the nose....I think I am going to pull the motor and move it

Quote Originally Posted by ron1950 View Post
    chris we both have to either take out the motor and move it forward or put some weight in the nose....I think I am going to pull the motor and move it
    Yeah I'm pretty sure I'm doing the same, I think I told you I already have another mount setup in CF to go in it. I also have another one if you need it. I've had another thought I might try before moving the motor. The strakes that run down each side of the hull starting at the back side of each sponson I'm going to remove about 2" on each side so it can vent some of the air it's packing. I'm pretty sure these hulls are packing too much air. You follow what I'm saying?
    Last edited by flraptor07; 12-24-2013 at 05:00 PM.

What are you going to try to set the CoG at? I noticed a few pages ago you thought that 2.3-2.5" was OK.

finally found a ruler and cg is 3 and 1/4 inches behind sponson

finally found a ruler and cg is 3 and 1/4 inches behind sponson
    Mines at 2.5 right now and that's with the batteries/battery cross ways all the way up on the tray

Quote Originally Posted by rickwess View Post
    What are you going to try to set the CoG at? I noticed a few pages ago you thought that 2.3-2.5" was OK.
    2.5 is working ok but I think we can get it better by moving the motor up or maybe doing the strake mod I was talking about, or both.

just swapped some batteries around...removed a dinogy 4s 5000 and installed 2 2 s 5000 in series sideways way up front...moved the cg to about 2.5 inches ... also moved the t180 esc up ..cant test it all out as I will be leaveing fla this week...hopeing to get it to ride level now....lol

Quote Originally Posted by flraptor07 View Post
    2.5 is working ok but I think we can get it better by moving the motor up or maybe doing the strake mod I was talking about, or both.
    Is the goal of moving the motor forward to get the CoG closer to the sponsons? If so, how close do you think you need to move it?

That CF one Jan has is tempting. I've emailed him on the price and what hardware is on it already.

id like to know the price also...but id just as soon take another fg popeye and do it my way ...

id like to know the price also...but id just as soon take another fg popeye and do it my way ...
    I'm hoping it's a bare hull.

Well, I finally was able to run mine for the first time, it's been more than 3 months and I know I am lame...
    Trying to up load, will take some time.
    This is how she rides out of the box w/o any adjustments, I just wanted to see how the ride is with the Ul-1 Turn fin. Since there were some issues from other people.
    Dinogy Lipo 4s2p, Leopard 4074/2000kv.
    First clip M445
    Second clip X447x3
    Been trying to upload to YouTube for the last 2 hours, apparently I did not do it, those two clps are in deep internet space.
    My COG is aroung 2.5" from the back of the sponson, I have about 6 ozs. of lead shot total in the front of the sponson tips. I am running 4s2p which is quite heavy, did not observe any nose-hight attitude, if anything, I think it's nose heavy.
    I think I will get a Neu 1515 1y for sure.

Try it on a single 4S.

doby I know I have asked this before but where is your cg? when I put two 2 s in the nose sideways way up front I get 2.5 inches cg ...when we ran last sunday the nose was still a little high even after I dropped the strut some more it ran pretty fast with a lot of wind and a cg at 3.25 in,,,hopeing this new cg fixes the nose high problem

Quote Originally Posted by Doby View Post
    Try it on a single 4S.
    Yes, I shall , thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Doby View Post
    Try it on a single 4S.
    Mine deffinetly runs better with a single 4s pack crossways as far up as I can get it.

OK, here are clips: don't know why it was such a pain to upload.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2kFfruC_Y8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_hEh...ature=youtu.be

Well, the good thing is that I did not flip the boat.
    Will heed you guy's advices and do more fine tuning in the near future.
    Thanks to everyone and especially to Doby who is responsible for me to get this hydro!
    And Monica for her efforts to make this a fun and truly enjoyable experience!

Deffinetly running a little wet, take some of the weight out of it. Also it looked like it did better with the 3 blade prop. I'm going to give a 3 blade a try.

Quote Originally Posted by flraptor07 View Post
    Deffinetly running a little wet, take some of the weight out of it. Also it looked like it did better with the 3 blade prop. I'm going to give a 3 blade a try.
    Yup, I will run 4s1p and see how she does, I also need to adjust the strut, I kind of got lucky to run her today, family was not aware of my "get away"...
    Will see how much weight the hull needs---maybe none. I just put it there to have extra insurance for the first run.

Is your strut all the way up? I find mine runs best that way, I'm going to mod my strut over the winter to allow for even more upward adjustment.

Also, you will notice a difference in some chop as well, gets its looser on the water and airs out a bit better than in calm conditions. This boat like some chop!

I don't think so, the strut blade is flush with the bracket, since I didn't know how much up is up, I avoided any changes for the first run. I realized the AOA on the ride pad is rather flat, a higher strut is going to help.
    My question is this: since I reinforced the exit hole of the stuffing tube, can i just raise the strut without fearing any mishap? ( def a newbie question )
    Thanks.

No problem...just raise it as high as the slot in the strut will allow.

Thank you ! Will do!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2
    Too many boats, not enough time...

yours is running well with the nose down a bit...mine runs nose high ...whatever u did to yours it working.....I may have fixed mine by going to 2 2s stuffed all the way up in the nose ...

yours is running well with the nose down a bit...mine runs nose high ...whatever u did to yours it working.....I may have fixed mine by going to 2 2s stuffed all the way up in the nose ...
    Thanks, out of box I reralized with the strut set flush on top, there is quite a bit of negative prop trust, this plus the 6 oz. of weight ( total) I managed to place at the tips might account for the nose down attitude. I think now for me is to raise the strut and play around with the weight and see how it goes.

id leave the strut alone for now and start reducing the weights in the nose a little at a time.....just my 2 cents

id leave the strut alone for now and start reducing the weights in the nose a little at a time.....just my 2 cents
    Thanks,
    I was running 4s2p because I wanted to have as much weight as possible, guess I will take one battery out first.
    How was your angle of thrust? I ask because I wanted to know how consistent the factory sets these things. I was also surprised how tight the nut was set for the strut, I could not loosen it and it was another reason why I didn't bother. I thought : "wow, they really want to make a point here" because all the other fasteners were either loose or on their way out after the bumpy trip...
    Happy Holidays!

my settings are not so hot...my strut is prob a 8th of a inch below the top of the brace to bring the nose down so I have the opposite problem of yours...doby should be able to help u out with his settings....I had one 4s longways and it had the cg too far back so went with 2 two cells sideways in series and it may have helped as the cg went from 3.25 to close to 2.5...now if that doesent work to get the nose down ill use stick on weights....then start with the strut comeing up...at least that's the current plan lol...

my settings are not so hot...my strut is prob a 8th of a inch below the top of the brace to bring the nose down so I have the opposite problem of yours...doby should be able to help u out with his settings....I had one 4s longways and it had the cg too far back so went with 2 two cells sideways in series and it may have helped as the cg went from 3.25 to close to 2.5...now if that doesent work to get the nose down ill use stick on weights....then start with the strut comeing up...at least that's the current plan lol...
    Sounds like a good plan.
    yeah, I will first run 4s1p, and then raise the strut like Doby had suggested.

Page 12 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast