Page 11 of 34 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: TFL Hobbies "Popeye" Hydro: P-Sport Hydro

About time..I have to live vicariously through you southern folks.

Quote Originally Posted by ron1950 View Post
    put the kintec turn fin brace on mine last night and put a thru hull water fitting in it...(man that is hard to get to under the deck and on the stearn lol) bringing it with me to fla tomorrow...hope to get some vids too
    Good Ron, when you get here you can help me get mine dialed in. I'm having a couple issues...

What kind of issues are you having?

Quote Originally Posted by Doby View Post
    What kind of issues are you having?
    Well I've only had it in the water one time and I'm pretty sure I know what direction to go. I have a turn fin alignment problem because the least little bit of left correction it tries to roll over. And I'm pretty sure I need to adjust the strut and or move some weight forward because it's too nose high. But what are your thoughts on the rolling over problem?

I had a similar issue with the original small turn fin...the slightest left rudder and she would spin out. When I replaced it with the UL-1 fin, the problem fixed itself by about 75%. Can you post some pics of the current fin alignment?

I had a similar issue with the original small turn fin...the slightest left rudder and she would spin out. When I replaced it with the UL-1 fin, the problem fixed itself by about 75%. Can you post some pics of the current fin alignment?
    Here's some picsDSC02322.jpgDSC02294.jpgDSC02286.jpgDSC02291.jpg

I'm thinking I need to recurve the fin too, it might have a little too much curve in it and it's trying to hydrofoil

Hmmm...nothing seems odd...the amount of curvature seems similar to my UL-1 fin.

Hmmm...nothing seems odd...the amount of curvature seems similar to my UL-1 fin.
    I got looking at it and you can't see it in the pics but it has a little twist in it as it curves. and I just checked it and it's about 1/8" out of parallel.

all i know is no hydro with a turn fin on the right side likes to turn left......
    MY RETIREMENT PLAN?????.....POWERBALL
    74 vintage kirby clasic hydro, pursuit mono, mg, 47'' mono, popeye hydro...

Quote Originally Posted by ron1950 View Post
    all i know is no hydro with a turn fin on the right side likes to turn left......
    Yes this is true but you should be able to make a little left correction without it immediately trying to turn turttle!

You made a beautiful turn fin! I think I asked you once and forgive me for asking the second time, bottom of the blade is flat---would that cause lift? I know it isn't much.
    When you said alignment, do you mean that because of the angle which is built-in on the back of the sponson that prevents the turn fin to mount parallel? I find it was impossible to bend the thick Kintec bracket. I attempted to bend the UL-1 bracket without success as well, ended up shimming the bracket. Still don't know if the problem is solved since I have not had the time to run her yet.
    I made a fin w/o the curve for a BBY Zephyr Hydro and got rid of the left-right-left dance.

Quote Originally Posted by tlandauer View Post
    You made a beautiful turn fin! I think I asked you once and forgive me for asking the second time, bottom of the blade is flat---would that cause lift? I know it isn't much.
    When you said alignment, do you mean that because of the angle which is built-in on the back of the sponson that prevents the turn fin to mount parallel? I find it was impossible to bend the thick Kintec bracket. I attempted to bend the UL-1 bracket without success as well, ended up shimming the bracket. Still don't know if the problem is solved since I have not had the time to run her yet.
    I made a fin w/o the curve for a BBY Zephyr Hydro and got rid of the left-right-left dance.
    Yes I found that too, the back of the sponson is not square with the center line of the hull. I just shimmed my bracket to square it up, mine was out by a little more than a 1/8" in just the length of the fin. I also took a little of the curve out of the fin and I think I'm going to sharpen it all the way down around the bottom too. THANX!

True your turn fin and drop your strut. That will help. Also limit the travel on the rudder with your radio. good luck!
    Randy
    For ABS, Fiberglass, Carbon hulls and Stainless hardware
    BBY Racing

Quote Originally Posted by RandyatBBY View Post
    True your turn fin and drop your strut. That will help. Also limit the travel on the rudder with your radio. good luck!
    Thanx Randy, I did notice something about the rudder, i think I'm getting deflection from the prop to the rudder because they're too close together with using that dual pickup rudderDSC02317.jpgDSC02297.jpgRIMG1221.jpg

Farther to the right will speed up the hooking to the right. Short of moving the rudder to the left or port side best will be to limit the travel. How heavy is the servo?
    Randy
    BBY Racing

Farther to the right will speed up the hooking to the right. Short of moving the rudder to the left or port side best will be to limit the travel. How heavy is the servo?
    Hooking to the right is not the problem, it's when you make the least little bit of left correction it tries to roll over (barrel roll). Are you talking about strength or weight? it's a Savox SW0231MG 208oz. torque and it weighs 66g.

Hey guys, do you know where to pick up a bare hull?
    I was too cheap to spring for the $100 shipping from Monica, though she was an absolute pleasure to deal with.
    I ordered one from horracing, but 30 days later no hull, and no response from Johnny, not a pleasure to deal with, PAYPAL dispute pending. I hope TFL pulls their business from that one.

That said, anyone know of another US distributor?
    Thanks!
    Last edited by capnswanny; 12-14-2013 at 08:12 PM.
    This is NOT a toy?!?

Quote Originally Posted by flraptor07 View Post
    Hooking to the right is not the problem, it's when you make the least little bit of left correction it tries to roll over (barrel roll). Are you talking about strength or weight? it's a Savox SW0231MG 208oz. torque and it weighs 66g.
    The 208oz. torque is good. I usually limit the steering more on the left until it stop hooking at speeds under 50/55 MPH. For Sports that Hotter than that, You must slow down a little first. Or before you turn to the left.
    Randy
    BBY Racing

The 208oz. torque is good. I usually limit the steering more on the left until it stop hooking at speeds under 50/55 MPH. For Sports that Hotter than that, You must slow down a little first. Or before you turn to the left.
    Oh Ok I got ya Thanx for the info. I'll make those adjustments and give it a shot.

Anybody?...Team TFL?...Bueller?.....Bueller?...

Quote Originally Posted by capnswanny View Post
    Hey guys, do you know where to pick up a bare hull?
    I was too cheap to spring for the $100 shipping from Monica, though she was an absolute pleasure to deal with.
    I ordered one from horracing, but 30 days later no hull, and no response from Johnny, not a pleasure to deal with, PAYPAL dispute pending. I hope TFL pulls their business from that one.

That said, anyone know of another US distributor?
    Thanks!
    This is NOT a toy?!?

Looks like no-one knows...hence, no replies.

Anybody?...Team TFL?...Bueller?.....Bueller?...
    Unfortunatly in this case if you wanna play you gotta pay....... Looks like you're gonna have to get it direct from TFL.............

Understood, just thought maybe you TFL sponsored guys might know how a guy could buy a hull without paying $100 shipping....my bad...

LoOKoks like no-one knows...hence, no replies.
    This is NOT a toy?!?

Very wise....thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by flraptor07 View Post
    Unfortunatly in this case if you wanna play you gotta pay....... Looks like you're gonna have to get it direct from TFL.............
    This is NOT a toy?!?

Very wise....thanks.
    I've bought three boats from TFL and there's no deals on the shipping, but if it's any consolation they have the best service of any overseas company I've ever dealt with and Monica is the best!

Totally agree with you....Monica is awesome!
    Sorry for the cheeky sarcasm....spent the day in the rain hanging Christmas lights...

Happy Holidays!
    This is NOT a toy?!?

I also ordered from HOR Racing on 27 October but no boat yet and likewise filed a dispute with Paypal. Maybe Popeye in now in short supply! I feel TFL $100 shipping is rather high to Australia. Perhaps I will order again from Kintec when he gets more in. In the meantime I have a ML Boatworks GP400V2 to build.

Yea Monica is really awesome, but when shipping costs more than the hull itself, I just can't pull a trigger on that. My shipping quote was $120 something to FL...

Did anyone see the CF hull from TFL??!!
    http://kintecracing.com/

Page 11 of 34 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast