Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 24323334
Results 991 to 1,003 of 1003

Thread: TFL Hobbies "Popeye" Hydro: P-Sport Hydro

Got a K-45 & K-48 in Mail today from OSE. I'm going to try them tommo and will post some video and hopefully some faster speeds then I was getting with the Y547.

Some really great info and knowledge in 1 place. Great thread.

Sounds like most of you guys are setting up to run in a class with 4S power. I am sport running and would like to run a setup bye you guys before purchasing parts. I have a quote request for a green fiberglass version in with Monica at TFL and am trying to figure out the best motor/battery combination.

Does anyone have experience what is the upper limit on speed with this hull?
    I would like to be in the 60-65+mph range. Does this seem possible and moderate level of control ability? I saw Doby's video at 61mph with some wind so I am thinking possible, just want to make sure.
    I am thinking on going with 5S2p with a Neu 1515 2050kv or Leopard 2000kv 4082. Starting with a M445 and going up from there. Open to suggestions if this is a bad direction.
    How heavy can the batteries be without making the boat too heavy/handle poorly? Was thinking of running (2) 5S 3300mah or 4500mah

I just got done with my 1st FE build which is a mean machine 4S2P Dinogy 6000mah batteries 1515 2200KV , M445 prop, which is GPS at 54mph with some more tuning to go.

I would like a hydro faster than the MM. I have a UL-1 also that I would like the Popeye to replace. I wasted so much time and money messing with that hull to learn the hard way it is not happy over 55 mph. Don't want to make the same mistake with the popeye.

Thanks in advance for your help!

all I can say is get the blank hull and pre plan the cg around the motor mount and battery placement,,,,its tough to get cg correct with factory motor placement
    MY RETIREMENT PLAN?????.....POWERBALL
    74 vintage kirby clasic hydro, pursuit mono, mg, 47'' mono, popeye hydro...

I don't want to burst your bubble but there are a lot better hulls out there. The Delta Force Vortex 34 is much better it'll handle up to 6s. I have both the Popeye and the Vortex I also have a BBY SS30 that is a nice hydro. http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...d=df-vortex-34

No bubble burst at all. That is why I wanted to ask the question before buying. Thanks for the recommendation. I am not a big fan of the looks on the BBY, but the Vortex looks pretty cool. I am sure it is a good bang for your buck deal with the popeye like most other ARTR stuff.

What kinds of speeds are reliably possible with the Vortex? How does the vortex compare to the Insane FE-30?
    Last edited by Raceprep79; 10-24-2014 at 12:03 AM.

Oops, wrong thread.

Cool

...What kinds of speeds are reliably possible with the Vortex? How does the vortex compare to the Insane FE-30?
    We have one Vortex34 in the club, the owner runs it mostly on 4S2P. It is much larger than the FE-30 and is better suited to open motors and rougher water. I don't know if he has GPS'd it or not, but he is not much slower than our other P Sport Hydros - and he is not finished setting it up. I am surprised at how well it works at speed with all those air traps......

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Could the Vortex34 be run in Q Hydro ?
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

The FE30 is probably a little better boat for all out racing, I've never had one so I couldn't tell you any particulars on it. Tony "Propper Chopper" Heller could tell you more on the FE30, he's built a ton of them and I think he's hooked up with Insane in some way. I have not GPSed my Vortex yet but rough guess I've been over 60mph with it and no ill effects. I'm still tuning it but it ran pretty nice right off the bench. If you're looking for a all out race boat, also look at ML Boat works. Mike does some beautiful boats, I'm doing a GP400 now which is a Q sport hydro 39.5" long http://mlboatworksrc.com/index.php?m...e9a7702903a335 Here's some pics of my Vortex and the GP400.DSC02496.jpgDSC02498.jpgDSC02839.jpgDSC02823.jpg

Could the Vortex34 be run in Q Hydro ?
    Yes, but IME it is a bit small for Q in anything but smooth water. Competing with 36-39" boats it will be at a diasdvantage.

The FE-30 is really too small for P with an open motor, unless the water is pretty smooth. Several club members started with an FE-30 in P-SH but soon they put in P-LSH power and were much happier. The ML340s are much better size-wise than an FE-30.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Quote Originally Posted by Fluid View Post
    We have one Vortex34 in the club, the owner runs it mostly on 4S2P. It is much larger than the FE-30 and is better suited to open motors and rougher water. I don't know if he has GPS'd it or not, but he is not much slower than our other P Sport Hydros - and he is not finished setting it up. I am surprised at how well it works at speed with all those air traps......

The Vortex doesn't trap as much air as you think, if you look it has about a 1/2" step behind the sponsons up to the center section. The only place it's really trapping is about the last 2" or so at the transom.

Thanks a ton for the info and recommendations. Apologies for sort of taking this Thread off on a tangent, but maybe useful for others that are interested in going fast and stable. I have inquired with Tony and will probably go that direction as my pond is not big and rough enough for the larger boats

Quote Originally Posted by ron1950 View Post
    all I can say is get the blank hull and pre plan the cg around the motor mount and battery placement,,,,its tough to get cg correct with factory motor placement
    I am building one from bare hull. Where do you suggest I set the cg? Thanks, Bret

Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 24323334