Thread: UL-1 ESC programming questions

Default UL-1 ESC programming questions

Hi Folks,

I'm relatively new to RC boating and the forum. I've learned a great deal from everyone. Now I need some specific help and hope the experience and wisdom of this group can give me some direction.

I bought a used Aquacraft UL-1 used. The previous owner had pulled the stock motor and ESC telling me it was supposedly a big upgrade. He demoed the boat for me so I thought I was getting a nice package. What I learned afterward is that RC car motors and ESCs overheat when run in enclosed hulls. So I got taken a bit.

I figured I'd simply replace the motor and ESC with the stock system. Purchased from OSE. Put everything back together, spent a small fortune on battery packs because I was excited to get my little gem on the water.

Now I simply can't get the ESC to initialize. I've tried the process as stated in the forum as stock. Tried a couple different attempts but simply get nothing. Or a motor that runs at a single speed all on it's own.

If you are still reading and are willing to offer guidance here is what I have done so far.

Plug batteries in (small spark when second battery connected), waited for one beep, squeezed throttle full on, waited for next beep. Released throttle but beeping continued about every 1-2 seconds. Waited but beeping wouldn't stop. Twisted the steering, servo responded and beeping stopped. But no throttle response.

Any suggestions? Is it possible I received a bad ESC?

Oh, one question about my setup is that the boat came with a Proboat transmitter and an unidentifiable receiver. it worked with the esc and motor that came in the boat.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

Usually messing with the throttle end point adjustments fixes this.

Quote Originally Posted by biofreeze10 View Post
    Hi Folks,

I'm relatively new to RC boating and the forum. I've learned a great deal from everyone. Now I need some specific help and hope the experience and wisdom of this group can give me some direction.

I bought a used Aquacraft UL-1 used. The previous owner had pulled the stock motor and ESC telling me it was supposedly a big upgrade. He demoed the boat for me so I thought I was getting a nice package. What I learned afterward is that RC car motors and ESCs overheat when run in enclosed hulls. So I got taken a bit.

I figured I'd simply replace the motor and ESC with the stock system. Purchased from OSE. Put everything back together, spent a small fortune on battery packs because I was excited to get my little gem on the water.

Now I simply can't get the ESC to initialize. I've tried the process as stated in the forum as stock. Tried a couple different attempts but simply get nothing. Or a motor that runs at a single speed all on it's own.

If you are still reading and are willing to offer guidance here is what I have done so far.

Plug batteries in (small spark when second battery connected), waited for one beep, squeezed throttle full on, waited for next beep. Released throttle but beeping continued about every 1-2 seconds. Waited but beeping wouldn't stop. Twisted the steering, servo responded and beeping stopped. But no throttle response.

Any suggestions? Is it possible I received a bad ESC?

Oh, one question about my setup is that the boat came with a Proboat transmitter and an unidentifiable receiver. it worked with the esc and motor that came in the boat.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Which tx? if it has four dials on the base panel, they need to be cranked up all the way to max. position. That is the way how the EPA is tuned on that tx, I assume the so-called unidentifiable rx is an "orange" receiver that is supposed to be compatible to all Spektrum DSM2 tx?? http://kintecracing.com/Radio_s_Receiver_s.html
    May be a superfluous question, you are using 2.4 ghz radio, right?

Thanks Doby.

Ok so I methodically went through a variety of TX settings and finally found a combination that seems to get close and initiates the ESC -- except throttle trigger at neutral appears to run the motor at wide open. Squeezing the throttle trigger to wide open stops the motor. Letting off the throttle a little at a time engages the motor at slow rpms. As you ease the throttle into neutral the motor runs faster. In other words, the throttle trigger is exactly opposite of what normal.

I initialized the ESC with the TX in throttle reverse. If I switch it to throttle normal, the motor runs at high speed and I have no speed control except to shut it down- quickly.

The system will not initialize with throttle in normal position.

A few more attempts at initializing and I'm stuck again. Now whenever I plug the batteries in all I get is the constant beep at about 1 second intervals.

This is really frustrating and makes me think sticking with bone stock and staying away from anything used is the only way to go. I've already got more than new prices into this little UL-1 and I am nowhere.

Any further advice?

Or anyone want to buy a Ul-1 with a brand new motor and ESC? LOL

Thanks Tlander,

No the receiver is black. It worked with the Proboat transmitter that came with the boat. Everything worked originally except the esc and motor came out of a car/truck and the esc overheated.

I have tried a wide variety of dial settings on the throttle controls. If you have a minute take a look at my post at 6:50.

Thanks,

Oh Tlander, the TX is a labeled a Proboat, model number ECX9010. I assume it is a 2.4 Ghz but it is not labeled as such.

Quote Originally Posted by biofreeze10 View Post
    Oh Tlander, the TX is a labeled a Proboat, model number ECX9010. I assume it is a 2.4 Ghz but it is not labeled as such.
    Well, if the tx doesn't have a long sectional metallic antenna, then it is 2.4Ghz. Your rx would have to be the same for it to have worked before.
    Your 6:50 post second paragraph: ( I am paraphrasing here, throttle position: rev= working. ) Switching back to normal= not working. Are you pushing the little tab back to "normal" once it is initialized? If yes, DON"T! Leave it at "rev" position.
    FYI: Futaba based tx all need to have their second channel ( Throttle channel) switched to "rev" position. That includes Futaba, Tactic, Flysky radios.
    Proboat 2.4 Ghz system is based on Spektrum, and I don't think it needs to go to "rev", but if it worked for you, just leave it there.
    By any chance if you have a old rx, Proboat's AM radio was based on "JR" brand---I don't know the story on that one, but it is possible that on those you need to reverse the throttle channel.
    Also it was new for me just three days ago was that you need to "calibrate" the AquaCraft ESC every time you connect your power system to batteries. Look at what I posted just the other day: https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...aft-ESC-arming

Thanks all for your suggestions and for sharing your experiences with me.

I was pretty frustrated and about ready to throw in the towel with Aquacraft.

I spent way to much time making countless attempts and methodically setting and resetting dials and switches trying to get the ESC to work. Finally I pulled the Spektrum DX2E TX/RX out of my Proboat Shockwave, connected things up and within just a few attempts had the ESC armed and working.

I guess all TXs are not created equally.

Big lessons learned - even an old dog can learn new tricks and play with different toys. A used good deal isn't always a good deal if it costs more than brand new by the time you make things work right.

Thanks again.

I did take the UL-1 out for a ride at lunch. Wow what a screamer. Once that thing gets up on plane it takes off. Unfortunately the lake was to choppy for this boat and I really couldn't run it out and let it rip. Another day soon though.

Happy Boating!

"I did take the UL-1 out for a ride at lunch. Wow what a screamer. Once that thing gets up on plane it takes off. Unfortunately the lake was to choppy for this boat and I really couldn't run it out and let it rip. Another day soon though.

Happy Boating!"