Thread: Having some issues with my Mystic 29

Default Having some issues with my Mystic 29

Ok guys I am having some issues. first it was a cooling issue but I think I got that under control now my problem is that my motor wires are melting the connections off. I changed them over to a set of castle creations 3mm plugs. Took it out today and it did the same thing. My motor is getting hot and the connections are getting so hot its melting the heat shrink and melting the solder on the wires. this all happens after running it for about a solid 2 minutes. the setup in the boat is all stock. this just started happening and I cant figure it out.

3mm? Thats very small.

ya they are but it had the stock 2.5s on it and until 3runs ago they worked fine no issues

Quote Originally Posted by agentorange View Post
    ya they are but it had the stock 2.5s on it and until 3runs ago they worked fine no issues
    Not that I remember! Proboat uses 3 if not 3.5mm banana plugs, how did you come to the conclusion that the stock is 2.5mm?!
    Change them to 5.5 mm bullets, everyone would be happy!

you might be right. I changed them to a bigger plug and its still burning them off. its a stock 60A Esc and a stock 1800kv motor. I have always fought with cooling issues with this boat but I drilled out the rudder, drilled out all the water fittings, installed larger water line, and modified the water jacket and this past run I got 2minutes into the run and it melted the soldier on the wire and the boat shut off. U was checking the water output from the side of the boat and it was putting out more water then it ever has but when I got it back to shore the esc was cool batteries were cool and the motor was hot, hotter than normal. I just dont understand

Whats the size bullet you changed to? Running 4s right? What prop are you using?

I just measured them and they are 4mm. Im running and Octra prop size X642 sharpened and balanced. Yes I have always run the boat on 4S. I have been running this setup for awhile now with no issues and now its started doing this.

you might be right. I changed them to a bigger plug and its still burning them off. its a stock 60A Esc and a stock 1800kv motor. I have always fought with cooling issues with this boat but I drilled out the rudder, drilled out all the water fittings, installed larger water line, and modified the water jacket and this past run I got 2minutes into the run and it melted the soldier on the wire and the boat shut off. U was checking the water output from the side of the boat and it was putting out more water then it ever has but when I got it back to shore the esc was cool batteries were cool and the motor was hot, hotter than normal. I just dont understand
    Keep an eye on the temp of that motor. As far as the connectors are concerned: I didn't mean to be blunt, sorry if it came across that way!
    Are you sure that you didn't change to 4mm banana plugs? If you changed to a bigger size, it can't be 3 or 3.5mmmm. here is the catch, I read sometime ago that 4mm is worse than 3mm---for whatever the reason. Unless you use the Castle Creation "High Current Connector". The soft spring clips on those 4mm male plugs do not sit flush sometimes when it is plugged into the female plugs. The Castle Creations plugs look just like the 5.5 bullet. They have four prongs for maximum contact area.
    If you go to 5.5mm, it should be good.

OK, my typing is too slow, I see you DID change to 4mm plugs!

Have any pictures of the setup in side the hull with the cell in place and also of the strut ?
    Also does you flex shaft spin nice and free when you loosen the set screw at the coupler ?
    And is it lubed good ?
    How old is the motor and have you lubed the bearing in yet ?
    ? ONLY IF THEY WORK

My youtube videos.http://www.youtube.com/user/61manx?feature=mhee

The 4mm add more resistance than the stock 3.5 do,
    Because they are made cheaper I guess.

But something has changed for it to be doing this now if it was ok before.

Quote Originally Posted by tlandauer View Post
    OK, my typing is too slow, I see you DID change to 4mm plugs!
    ? ONLY IF THEY WORK

My youtube videos.http://www.youtube.com/user/61manx?feature=mhee

Im assuming its the proboat 1800? I have a few LSO race boats and must admit, the proboat motors are my favorite and I have them in many boats. All on 4S.

I actually had to bump all the way up to 8mm as I was overheating 5.5s in a 4 min LSO race which is on 4S. I feel proboat just uses junk wire, which is a shame because as for power I love their motors. I burn 1 or 2 motors a year because of wire failure, but I continue to use them because they are just work horses.

What Im getting at is your problem is not uncommon.

However, if ti is a proboat motor, that's usually what mine do just before they let go. they'll be running fine, all the sudden start getting hot for a race or two and then it stops and fills with a nasty motor stench.

id also recommend if it is a PB motor to upgrade the cooling jacket. Dave w/ HRC lives not far from me and made me a bunch of custom jackets for those motors. I have them for sale if your interested in one. just PM me and we can make something happen. Mine brought my temps down in one hull an average of 15 degrees and the other 20. Both PB cat hulls.

Tiqueman- Yes it is a proboat 1800kv. Its seems to rotate normally when I have it on the bench. It has a pop to it when you spin it by hand.

Lenny- I just greased the shaft and it slides in perfect and goes into the coupler fine with little to no force applied.

tlandauer- I will have to wait till Monday to hit the store up but I thing I am going to try the 5.5 plugs out. It might be like Tiqueman says it could be the motor is on its way out. if so well I have a 2200kv Leopard that needs a new home so we will see what happens.

Ok guys well let me ask this question then. If it is my motor that is going bad and I pull it out can I put my Leopard Hobbies 2200kv motor in the boat with the stock Proboat ESC and run 4S and it be reliable and fast. I dont want to do it if its going to hurt something else.

Popping cant have a good ending

Itll be fast. Reliable, No

Id recommend for budget putting a Seaking /T180 in it w a 2200KV. ive built several with that set up for people and never used anything less than that esc.

Tiqueman- Yes it is a proboat 1800kv. Its seems to rotate normally when I have it on the bench. It has a pop to it when you spin it by hand.

Lenny- I just greased the shaft and it slides in perfect and goes into the coupler fine with little to no force applied.

tlandauer- I will have to wait till Monday to hit the store up but I thing I am going to try the 5.5 plugs out. It might be like Tiqueman says it could be the motor is on its way out. if so well I have a 2200kv Leopard that needs a new home so we will see what happens.
    That is why I said to keep an eye on the temp of that motor, I also had a hunch that the motor is having issues.
    Like Tiquerman says my MG has the Leopard 2200kv with the Seaking 180 ESC, been two years and knock on wood, I have no problem so far other than an extended 7 or 8 min. run which resulted some bulged capacitors on the ESC. I replaced them with the addition of a cap bank.

A x642 shouldn't be taking out a PB 1800 I've seen them pushed much further. I am