Thread: Impulse V2 Motor swap

Default Impulse V2 Motor swap

Ok guys this may be a dumb question as i'm new to this, but can I swap the 1800KV motor in my Impulse with the 1500KV motor in my Shockwave V3 BL? I plan to run 6s in the Impulse and I run 3s in the Shockwave. Every thing i've read has seemed like people think the Impulse would be a better all around boat with the 1500 in it. The 1500 would bring me down to 33,000 rpms instead of almost 40,000. Also this swap (if it would work) would raise the rpms of my Shockwave from 16,000 to 20,000, which i think will make this boat faster? I would really apreciate any comments on this guys, it seems to good to be true if this would work lol.
    Thanks

yes,it would work.i'd be changing the bullets to 5.5mm though if you are going to run 6s quite a lot though on the Impulse,just to be safe.

Does anyone have a guesstamate of how much this would slow down the impulse and speed up the shockwave?
    And now that I know it would work, but you never said if it was a good idea or not?

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler83 View Post
    Does anyone have a guesstamate of how much this would slow down the impulse and speed up the shockwave?
    And now that I know it would work, but you never said if it was a good idea or not?
    I can answer this... I think...

Let's start with the Shockwave 26... 1500KV power system out of the original Miss Geico (45A ESC and 1500KV 6-Pole BL Motor)...

This boat would perform very well on 3S with the 1800KV motor. And it would be a "safe" setup (reletive to how much any of these systems are "safe")...

If you want to run a pair of 3S packs in the IM31, then doing it with the 1500KV motor would definitely be a "safer" setup than using the 1800KV motor, at least with the current generation of motors. 1500KV will draw less amps, given the same prop, which is important because the motor wires are relatively small gauge.

I'm not sure which IM31 version you have. If you have the 80A ESC, then you have quite a bit of headroom, if you keep the props reasonable.

I have data recordings that show 54-56mph with the 1800KV motor on 6S in my IM31, pulling around 85-95 Amps... That was with an ABC 42x55 prop. About 48-51mph is about what you can expect from the stock prop on 6S.

The 1500KV motor will have more torque, and can handle a bit more prop. You'll need more prop to get the same speeds as the 1800, however, you should be able to run more prop without taxing the system that much.

As others have mentioned, the contacts on the motor/ESC wires are going to get hot after hard runs... If you are capable, I'd replace them with at least 5.5mm...

Hope this helps...
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

...OH, and as to how much it will "slow down" the IM31... If you put a 1500KV motor in there and run it on 4S, you can turn a decent 47mm prop (X447/3 would be a good place to start), and the boat would be FASTER than it was out of the box...

"Believe me this..."
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Jordan View Post
    ...OH, and as to how much it will "slow down" the IM31... If you put a 1500KV motor in there and run it on 4S, you can turn a decent 47mm prop (X447/3 would be a good place to start), and the boat would be FASTER than it was out of the box...

"Believe me this..."
    Awesome your post was exacly what I was looking for. My IM31 does have the 80 amp ESC in it so I think i'm going to swithc the motors tonight. Per another post of yours I have already ordered the 45x55 prop. So I think till then i will run the stock prop with the 1500 motor in the IM31 on 6s. I will Maiden her tonight with that setup and also try out the Shock wave on 3s with the 1800 motor with a pro boat 1.6x2.5 stock prop. Can't wait to see what they do. Can you recomend a good prop to run that 1500 motor in the IM31 on 6s? Would the 42x55 still be good you think? Also what about a good prop for the Shickwave with its new 1800 motor? I really, really really appreciate your help I'm trying to learn as much as possible about this hobby! Thanks