Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2013/2014 Scottsdale Model Boaters Racing Season

Default 2013/2014 Scottsdale Model Boaters Racing Season

We have the upcoming season dates booked for club racing. LSH, P-Ltd Mono, P-ltd Cat, P Mono and scales have been our focus, though any 3 make a class and we can discuss at our first outing this season if we need to make any revisions.

McKellips Pond. Be sure to check the north side of the pond as we may be there until the weeds clear on the south side.

Sunday, Sept 29th
    Sunday, Oct 20th
    Sunday, Nov 17th
    Sunday, December 22nd
    Sunday, January 26th

Winter Warmups X will be Friday-Sunday February 21st to 23rd, 2014. More info on this later on another thread. That's right, our 10th annual!

I am looking forward to this year. We have added a new member to our R&R team, Bruce Lewis. He has 5 boats all new. An Insane LSH,
    P-cat. P-Mono, Buaas C/F Modern and a West Coast C/F Miss Burien. Welcome Bruce to the Club and our Team. I guess Dick, Bruce and I will have to be re-named. " The Three Old Guys". Gee I hope we will be able to remember that???!!!
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by G.Rose View Post
    I am looking forward to this year. We have added a new member to our R&R team, Bruce Lewis. He has 5 boats all new. An Insane LSH,
    P-cat. P-Mono, Buaas C/F Modern and a West Coast C/F Miss Burien. Welcome Bruce to the Club and our Team. I guess Dick, Bruce and I will have to be re-named. " The Three Old Guys". Gee I hope we will be able to remember that???!!!
    Gary
    Yous'e guys are (literally) missing the boat by not getting Jersey Skiffs. One more and we can race them at WW X
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

You said Dick's gas Jersey conversion was to big!!!! I'll talk to him? The one offered to build is to hard to put batts. and components into.

You said Dick's gas Jersey conversion was to big!!!! I'll talk to him? The one offered to build is to hard to put batts. and components into.
    C'mon - it's NOT that hard !!
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

OK, give me the info again and I will talk to Dick and Bruce. It truly is an Old Guys Boat LOL

OK, give me the info again and I will talk to Dick and Bruce. It truly is an Old Guys Boat LOL
    Gary,

Here's my build thread https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...t=jersey+skiff

You can use any motor mount and with a simple 90 second mod to the motor it'll be easy to R & R.

These are SO MUCH FUN !!!!

I'm pm'ing you with details - use rcboatbuild@hotmail.com to respond

gary there is tons of room in a aeromarine FE skiffbigorange 16.jpgbuild2.jpgbuild8.jpg
    MY RETIREMENT PLAN?????.....POWERBALL
    74 vintage kirby clasic hydro, pursuit mono, mg, 47'' mono, popeye hydro...

Gary, Speaking OLD you fit the bill. Plus Tony will kick your a--, if he can miss the bouys.

Quote Originally Posted by leonard feeback View Post
    Gary, Speaking OLD you fit the bill. Plus Tony will kick your a--, if he can miss the bouys.
    You're supposed to MISS them ? Now you tell me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GecgY2Mu-Ac

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RP0kDxAFCJM

Dave
    Number 10. I would think this would mean an extra day for a some special celebrating. :)

Tony
    I should have my head examined. Thinking of maybe having you build me one of those Jersey Skiffs and bringing it to the race. Is this an option? How much notice do you need?
    Doug Peterson
    IMPBA 19993
    www.badgerboaters.com

Quote Originally Posted by DPeterson View Post
    Dave
    Number 10. I would think this would mean an extra day for a some special celebrating. :)

Tony
    I should have my head examined. Thinking of maybe having you build me one of those Jersey Skiffs and bringing it to the race. Is this an option? How much notice do you need?
    I'll call you tomorrow. Can't have too much fun, can we ?

Spoiler Alert :Keep your eye open for the next issue of RC Boat Mag
    Last edited by properchopper; 09-18-2013 at 01:23 AM.

I am baaaack! I missed last years season due to a home remodel that cost me my boat room. (Darn wife didn't want me dropping solder and epoxy on the new hardwood floors) Anyway, I have rebuilt my boats and plan on being there on the 29th.

Doug, a Jersey Skiff? Can I pay Tony not to build you one? J/K. I wish we could do an extra day, but the city only allows us out there Fri/Sat/Sun. I'll put my thinking cap on and see what other fun stuff we can pack into that weekend.

Kerry-Wondered where you've been. Glad you're making it. I also see you signed up for the District race in Tempe, too!

September 29th event

We had a nice turnout for our first race of the season. Welcome Bruce Lewis, who is partnering up with Dick Roberts and Gary Rose. And welcome Back Kerry, who missed all of last season. Pete Wijatyk is also back, missing most of last season (except WW 9). He hasn't missed a beat, either.

P-Ltd Cat has been added to our club roster, and just like that we had a full flight of them. Great racing, but it's too bad Ted had to leave before the 3rd round as he had 2 perfect heats with his Motley Crew.

David N: 925 pts
    Pete W: 825 pts
    Ted M: 800 pts
    Gary R: 363 pts
    Kerry W: 225 pts
    Allen G: 125 pts

P-Ltd Mono. it was the Pete Wijatyk show!

Pete W: 1200 pts
    Allen G: 525 pts
    Jim O: 325 pts
    Kerry W: 325 pts

LSH

Another 6 boats. Jim has his Insane flying (check out the '13 Nat's videos. His is the fast one), but DNF's got him today. Bruce better stop listening to Dick and Gary.

David N: 1200 pts
    Gary R: 525 pts
    Jim O: 350 pts
    Ted M: 300 pts
    Bruce: 75 pts
    Kerry: 50 pts

P Mono

Pete W: 900 pts
    Kerry W: 419 pts
    Gary R: 275 pts

Next race is October 20th. We'll be sticking to these 4 classes, but will run any other class gets 3 entrants.

The kick off race of the season was a blast. My thanks to David for putting it together and all who attended to make an outstanding day of flat out fun! I am planning on attending all the club races this year and of course WW10. My LSH which took a bad beating over 2.5 years ago at WW is on the bench being repaired and will be ready for the next club race! I plan to run OPC and should be able to get Dave Z. to commit, so one more and we can run OPC - c'mon guys bring out those boats!

Got a PX300 sitting on the shelf. Just have to motivate myself to sanding and recoating the thing...... I hate sanding.... with a passion!

Start sanding Pat, you have a month!

I'll get my Stiletto back together and give it a try. If I can stay out of everybody's way and finish 6 laps I'll be happy. .

Last year when I had my Stiletto out there seeing how many buoys I could hit. Somebody I think maybe it was Dick told me he had an OPC too.
    Last edited by gleny; 10-01-2013 at 11:14 PM.

Well, we had a record in attendance for our Oct 20th date, and Pat, Glen and Leonard didn't even run! Beautiful day and we actually had to split heats for P-Ltd Cat and P-Ltd Mono. That's a first for us.

1/10th Scale.

Kind of mostly Vintage, with Ted throwing in his Modern for a few heats. Dick finally got his Vintage thumping by the third round. Very impressive boat.

Gary Rose: 725 pts and gets the tie because I razzed him too much yesterday.

Ted McKay: 725 pts

Dick Roberts: 425 pts

P-Ltd Mono

8 boats showed up today. Nobody had anything for Osborne, but Kim had a very consistent day and got a solid 3 finishes. After 9 years of hearing Lenny Blake CD our races and comment how loose FE racers set up their boats. You should have seen his Titan 29! Touche' to him, or something like that.

Jim Osborne: 1200 pts
    Kim McKay: 825 pts
    Pete W: 725 pts
    Lenny B: 725 pts
    Dave Z: 625 pts
    Kerry W: 525 pts
    Alan G: 300 pts
    Bruce L: 25 pts

LSH

Just 4 today. Kerry's Insane 30 has incredible potential. Just needs some steady laps, right Kerry?

Kerry W: 325 pts
    Gary R: 300 pts
    Bruce L: 0

P-Ltd Cat

We had 10 cats today. Fantastic! Man, Osborne's been working hard on his Geico and it shows. Pete's is blistering fast, but still quite loose. And, Lenny was the hired driver of Gary's Mystic Cat. That boat ran very well, though the inside of it looks like a tar bomb blew up in it. I don't even know what that is, but you can get the visual. I bailed on the first heat due to a drill-hole in my hatch I forgot to tape up, but Osborne knows what I have for him.

Lenny B: 925 pts
    Jim O: 825 pts
    David N: 700 pts
    Kerry W: 550 pts
    Pete W: 450 pts
    Kim M: 325 Pts
    Ted M: 300 pts
    Alan G: 225 pts
    Bruce L: 50 pts
    Dick R: 25 pts

Next race, November 17th!

Yeah I don't think my Insane 30 could be set up any better with that Sholund custom prop. I just need to learn not to choke the next time I am ahead of you! (If there is a next time that actually happens)

11/17/13

Another beautiful day in Az for boating. Sunny and 78 degrees by mid-day, with a slight breeze. Perfect.

P-Ltd Mono

Pete W: 1100
    Dave Z: 925
    Ted M: 925
    Lenny B: 869
    Jim O: 525
    Kerry W: 25
    Bruce L: 25

Pete continues to have a strong P-Ltd Mono, and I was reminded when tech'ing his equipment that he's still using an Aquacraft controller. Been so for years now. He does have a capacitor the size of an old 35 mm film cartridge, but his Cyberstorm is strong!

LSH

David N: 825
    Kerry W: 700
    Pete W: 300

Pete's Phil Thomas hull has been re-built! It had serious damage from the '12 WW race, but it's running again! Kerry would have actually won today, but he had to leave before the 3rd round. His Insane sport hydro is the best running boat in his fleet.

1/10th Scale Modern

Dick R: 800
    Ted M: 350
    Gary R: 300
    Bruce L: 25

We actually had enough 1/10th scales to run both Modern and Vintage classes.

P-Ltd Cat

Jim O: 800
    David N: 800
    Alan G: 650
    Adrien G: 625
    Gary R: 625
    Pete W: 75
    Ted M: 50

Another strong showing of Cats, and welcome Adrien Gambino from France! He's here on a temporary work assignment and will be racing with us this season. Ted brought an extra Cat to run, and he proved that he can get it around the course with the best of them...his boat just needed more prop. I think that was Ted's way of putting training wheels on the boat for him until he could prove himself! He'll work on building a Cat and also getting some of his equipment here from France. Jim had a perfect round going, but left before the third round. He's still dialing in his Geico Cat, but it's a very strong boat. And, last but not least, Alan is finally in the mix! The last 2 club races he had been plagued with ESC troubles and his boats would only go 1/2 throttle (if that) around the course. His Cat is running well now, and he's driving very well.

P Mono

David N: 1200
    Lenny B: 625
    Pete W: 225
    Kerry W: 194

Thanks for Gary loaning his Titan 40 to Lenny today. Pete really wanted P Mono to "make" today and he's having mixed feelings about it now. When he put his boat in the water to start the 2nd round, he popped his Castle 240, complete with the lid blowing off the deck. Messy goo. Not sure what happened as I don't even think he hit the throttle. He's making lemonade, though, as it's better for this to happen now than @ the WW race in Feb.

1/10th Scale Vintage

Dick R: 425
    Ted M: 400
    Bruce L: 50
    Gary R: 25

Next race is December 22nd! Some of you have already notified me that you're out of town. For the others, LMK if you have a scheduling conflict.

Another fun filled exciting day of racing!

After Dave Z and I brought the Pmono in after heat 1 we noticed a slight amout of smoke when we opened the hatch. It was slight, had no smell and appeared to be steam. We checked the motor, esc, batts and drive shaft tube for heat and everything was perfectly normal. Dick told us it was probably heat from the drive shaft, but as I run a teflon tube that didn't seem to make sense, as the tube felt cool. Finding no problems, heat 2 we put it in the water and as soon as I hit the throttle the lid blew! What a mess, the esc was the culprit and after cleaning up the boat I found no damage to anything else (other then the severed motor and batt wires!). It could have been soo much worse, and I consider myself very lucky to only have to replace esc. As David pointed out, I'm glad we ran pmono and it didn't happen during WW. I've ordered a Hobby King 180 esc per Ted's recommendation and will have the boat ready for the next club race! David, don't dissapoint me, lets make the pmono's happen again - I love that mayhem class!

My Phil Thomas has a simple problem and that was a small drive dog with the tiny .050 allen which stripped and the drive dog moved fwd causing the prop to free spin in heats 1&2. Pulled the drive dog off yesterday using a reverse drill bit to extract the Allen screw and new drive dog installed. The LSH is ready for next race.

I must get my Blackjack porpoising under control as it blew over in heats 2&3. Both Gary and Jim have pointed out I have some positive angle on the strut. Might have to remove and reposition the drive tube as I cant change the drive angle due to drive tube position.

Ok boys, great times! See you everyone on the 22nd. Unlike the previous season, back in the game and practicing. So looking forward to racing with everyone at WW!!

12/22/13

We had quite a full pond today, due to a storm that rolled through on Friday. Nice sunny day, but only got up to 62 degrees or so. I thought we would be light on attendance today, with Christmas being so close, but we had 8 guys show up to race, and fielded 5.5 classes.

P-Ltd Cat

We're still having some good racing in Cat and they continue to get better tuned each outing. Too bad Jim keeps having to leave early. This time he had to get home to patch up his sponson. Pete moved to a Mean Machine hull, but it took him 2 rounds to figure out his 6 inch rudder was a tad long.

Pete W: 825 pts
    Jim O: 450 pts
    Kerry W: 350 pts
    Ted M: 50 pts

P-Ltd Mono

I haven't run mine all season, it was off on speed, but I guess I had enough to do the job. Pete did set me up nicely in Round 1, only to flip it in the last turn. However, he redeemed himself in Round 2 and took a 1st place.

David N: 1100 pts
    Pete W: 725 pts
    Jim O: 525 pts
    Kerry W: 50 pts

P-Sport Hydro

We decided to run this as 1 of our new additions, Chip, actually had his Phil Thomas set up for P Sport, and Ted had a newly built P Sport out for testing. So, we threw them together for a few heats. Chip wins the consistency award! Ted's still finding his tune.

Chip: 800 pts
    Ted M: 50 pts

LSH

Welcome another new-to-FE member, Beezer! He and his dad (and Chip) have been busy building a nice fleet of Phil Thomas Sport boats.

Pete W: 925 pts
    Beezer: 419 pts
    Kerry W: 50 pts
    Ted M: 25 pts

OPC

We finally got a heat together of OPC this season, thanks to Pete W's prodding! Pat has a newly build PS 300 and initial morning testing was awesome, but his pack got a little poofy. So, Pat "I don't run puffy packs" McDonald called it a day. That left me and Pete to some quite fun deck to deck racing for all 3 heats.

Pete W: 1000 pts

P Mono

We called it after 2 rounds.

David N: 800 pts
    Pete W: 469 pts
    Ted M: 325 pts
    Kerry W: 250 pts

Next race, Sunday January 26th! Please attend so we can get our final plans set for WW X, which is Feb 21st-23rd.

looking forward to meeting group and learning more..i have 2 boats for p limited mono..ag bj 29 and motley crew..looking forward to trying them out..as a long time sponsored on and off road driver..the boating thing is totally new..

Another awesome day of racing! I must do additional tuning on my LSH, cat and pmono. I also have a little fine tuning on PLTD mono and try and squeeze a tad bit more speed out of it - look out David, you've put the pressure on and I have to squeeze every ounce of of that boat. What an amazing running OPC David had, he just built it and put on the water for the first time, a little dialing after heats and by heat 3 I had no speed advantage on him, could I have more speed to pull out of mine and still keep it in the water? Watch out ML Boatworks OPC guys, Newland has one heck of a running boat! One more race for tuning and WW10 here we come!! With great regret I will not be able to attend Friday as I start a new job, will see everyone Sat and Sun! Can't wait!!

Default trying to get ready

well got a good start today...lots of sanding..electronics and paint to come soon..hope to be ready for the 26th
    Attached Images Attached Images

now to clear coat
    Attached Images Attached Images

what time does this start on sunday??

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast