Thread: Please stop with photobucket

Default Please stop with photobucket

It's just terrible. Most of the time I get an advertisement when I'm trying to look at a pic. Photobucket is annoying... Please people, it's not difficult to post pics without using it. That is all. Thanks

I started using Picassa for My FE boating pictures as I got pretty heavily into boating photos I may have over 100 photos of an event and I dont have the time to post them all individually, so a few samples and a link to an album is all I post now, and picassa is not too hard to use and offers quite a large free space so suits me well, here is a link to my group of FE albums in case anyone is interested.

For other interests that I am not interested in photography for, and just want to post a picture or a few pictures at a time then Photobucket beats Picassa hands down and I believe it is the best way of posting pictures on forums for most people. Uploads are quicker as you can set a forum friendly 800x600 size which it will automatically resize to from then on, posting is fast as a single click copies a direct link into your PC's clipboard (in Picassa it is 5 clicks 1 drop down menu and ctrl-C to do the same), you end up with a picture like this one which is hosted by photobucket

directly on the forum just the same as Picassa, it is not a thumbnail that needs to be opened so it is easier than hosting locally for the end user, it takes up no space or bandwidth on Steve's site (I host the little site in my signature and know that OSE will be well above basic free storage and bandwidth and will be paying extra for what he uses.). None of my photos have ever turned into adverts no matter where I have stored them and if you see them as adverts it must be malware on your PC as the only way for that image to change is that photobucket shuts down (not likely in my eyes) or I don't want the internet to see it any more and remove it from my Photobucket album, in which case Photobucket fill the dead link with their logo until I come back here and remove the link, if it is this that you are referring to it can be a little annoying that some people don't do their housekeeping and remove the links they have broken but you cant blame Photobucket for that.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

No malware. I use a Mac. Mostly I use my iPhone to look at the forum, but if I click on a picture and it sends me to photobucket I stop right there and forget it. I HATE going to an external link to look at a photo.

I don't know Macs never having had one but I doubt you have to click the photo above, with my Windows or Linux PCs and Android phone it shows up fine as part of the forum just like the text around it. If you have to go to an external link for my photo above then I would like to know, but I am not sure if I will change my procedures to suit a minority operating system. If mine works fine for you then it must be user error and posting the wrong links rather than any fault of photobucket.

Photobucket offers you 4 links to suit different situations, the correct one for posting in forums is "Direct" which should be posted within (img)direct link here(/img) tags (but the brackets should be square like these ][.), it is possible that people are picking the wrong link accidentally, un-knowingly or just without the knowledge that there is a better alternative.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.