Thread: Optimal watercooling tubing setup

Question Optimal watercooling tubing setup

Hi there,
    first post for me but I already got lots of precious info from the forum.
    I recently got the Holy Smoke out of my MG29.
    After a 3 hours wait for the boat to come at hand distance by the only force of the water current and the wind, It confirmed my thought : burned ESC.
    I ran on stock setup with an Octura X642 propeller. I think I put the propeller line too deep in the water which drawn too much amps for the poor stock esc (60A) to stay "cool"
    I have now got a new 120 Amp esc and cleaned the mess inside the hull.
    Before rebuilding the MG, I wondered if there was an optimal watercooling tubing setup to follow to ensure best cooling efficiency, i.e. : put Esc or motor first?, how to prevent tubing from squeezing, do you choose shortest paths, ...
    I initially thought at a dual water pick-up, but it seems a bit of an overkill for my config (4S, not racing) and require hull or rudder modding. So if you have any good advice to optimize water-cooling with one single line, I would be happy to learn.

Best,
    Benoit

You want to cool the esc first then the motor. As for putting on a second pick up, every little bit helps. I have a stock Sv-27 running 4s and I have dual pick ups on it, Its not over kill if it helps keep everything cool. Shorter is better with the cooling lines.
    Modified Jae21, Stock Jae21, Cheetah, Ul-1, Shock Wave 26 V2 (Rescue Boat).

i use larger tube :4mm inside-7mm out

The ESC should have handled the x642 prop no problems on 4S (I upgrade the connectors to 5.5, but I don't think that would cause the ESC to die). The motor and ESC should come in cool on that prop-- maybe you had some debris blocking the water pickup or a kinked cooling line?

Note, twice I've had my rudder pickup blocked by debris and caused a thermal shutdown-- motor and esc were super hot-- but when cleared it ran cool again.

Chief

Thanks a lot for these info.
    In fact, the esc thermal protection worked at least twice (power shutdown for a few seconds) before he finally burned.
    I should have paid more attention to it , stopped the boat and check cooling lines
    I will be more careful in the future.

Who said you need to make your own (expensive) experience to learn?

Benoit