Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: TFL Hobbies New OPC

Well we got if on the water tonight with a jacking plate added and what a difference that made a few adjustments to the strut and she is ready to run at the Nat's a few more very small thing to touch up. And she ready to roll Terry took a video of it maybe he can post it
    When all else fails floor it

It's getting close. Just need to find the throttle sweet spot to make a smooth turn. Needs a stronger servo too.

I'll get the video up later.........when I'm awake.
    Noisy person

Terry, I found these new servos, I picked up a couple and put one in my Cheetah build and they work real nice. Probably the smoothest servo I've ever used and waterproof too. Also the price is reasonable, all the reviews I read about them were good and a lot of Heli guys use them. This one is 319 oz. @ 7.4 volt http://www.ebay.com/itm/KST-BLS259-S...item43c76d8ed5 Here's another one that's 347oz. @ 7.4 volt http://www.ebay.com/itm/KST-DS2509MG...tem5afdb87ccbw The quality sure looks good all Billet cases and the detail is nice, they look just as nice inside too.
    Last edited by flraptor07; 06-05-2014 at 09:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by flraptor07 View Post
    Terry, I found these new servos, I picked up a couple and put one in my Cheetah build and they work real nice. Probably the smoothest servo I've ever used and waterproof too. Also the price is reasonable, all the reviews I read about them were good and a lot of Heli guys use them. This one is 319 oz. @ 7.4 volt http://www.ebay.com/itm/KST-BLS259-S...item43c76d8ed5 Here's another one that's 347oz. @ 7.4 volt http://www.ebay.com/itm/KST-DS2509MG...tem5afdb87ccbw The quality sure looks good all Billet cases and the detail is nice, they look just as nice inside too.
    Those servos are rated at 6.0 vots (min). Can they operate OK on a lower voltage? Or, you could check and see what the output voltage is on the BEC of your speedcontrol. Not all servos are created equal anymore. You need to be aware of the operating voltage of the servo, the output voltage of your BEC, and/or the input-output voltage of your RX. Just food for thought.

Later,
    Mike

I think Fred has his sights on the waterproof Savox. I have some of those. So far so good. The way Fred built the boat it will have to be waterproof. I don't think the Castle speedo he's using spits out 7.4v. I'm sure the KST will run on less just wont get the 347. More like 275 ish. Not sure what it really takes though.

Mike, didn't you finally end up going to a huge torque Futaba on you OPC?
    Noisy person

I looked again. They have ratings for the lower voltage. Looks like 290 range at 6 volts.
    Noisy person

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    Mike, didn't you finally end up going to a huge torque Futaba on you OPC?
    Yep, Peterson and Kewley were the ones who convinced me that I needed more torque. I think my Futaba's are 200oz-300oz. I would need to double check.

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    I looked again. They have ratings for the lower voltage. Looks like 290 range at 6 volts.
    I would be concerned that you don't have "enough" voltage to operate the servo motor efficiently causing the servomotor to overheat under load and pre-maturely fail (assuming your under the lower limit of the voltage rating). I am not suggesting that will happen, I just wonder why they list a lower limit and not "up to 8.0 volts" I only say this because the Aquacraft controller is rated at 5.2v at 2amps. I am not sure what other controllers are.

Later,
    Ball

I was going to look at my Hydra120 for the BEC voltage but it's unrecognizable after the last flame out. Crispy critter.
    Noisy person

I use seperate 2s 6.6v Life Rx packs now, ever since I had a brand new Castle super BEC short out and burn up a Rx, Servo and almost a new SF 240 Pro Plus. This way I know exactly how much voltage I have at any given time.

Dang it! My phone autocorrected the title when I uploaded and I didn't catch it. Not sure I can change the title on a YT video.

Don't mind the fool commentary please.

It's getting close. Respectable enough to race at this point.
    Noisy person

Yes we can. Placed 3rd at the NAMBA nationals. I think it could have done better if Fred had more stick time with it but you know how that goes. You still have to get around the two guys who beat ya. Those guys really are that good too.

I'm going to crate it up up as it sits and ship it to TFL so they can see exactly how we did it.
    Noisy person

Really nice lookin tunnel. I have converted two VS1's and its a good boat, but I want a glass hull. Looked at top speed 3 but that is old design. AQ might be working on a new one, as the VS1 is old too, so please hurry with the FE version TFL!

hey terry did u guys recommend they make a jack plate for the boat?
    MY RETIREMENT PLAN?????.....POWERBALL
    74 vintage kirby clasic hydro, pursuit mono, mg, 47'' mono, popeye hydro...

Yes sir. That's what it will take. Or a modified mount on their existing lower unit.
    Noisy person

Quote Originally Posted by covedweller View Post
    Really nice lookin tunnel. I have converted two VS1's and its a good boat, but I want a glass hull. Looked at top speed 3 but that is old design. AQ might be working on a new one, as the VS1 is old too, so please hurry with the FE version TFL!
    The funny thing about water... it's properties haven't changed in, well... a PRETTY long time... the Lynx is an "old design" also...
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

I do really like how "scale" this one looks... That's always fun. Hopefully TFL will get the hardware sorted out.

I am really hopeful that we can get a BUNCH more people racing OPC Tunnels. They are a challenge, but that's why they are fun.
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

OPC Rocks!

The Villian S1 was designed in 1997. The boat raced its first nats in 1999 where I met Carl who also had a new boat under his arm...

Grim

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Jordan View Post
    The funny thing about water... it's properties haven't changed in, well... a PRETTY long time... the Lynx is an "old design" also...
    If I could get my hands on a Lynx I would do it like yesterday. Funny thing, lots of nice hulls out there, but none available! Kinda like the ocean, water water everywhere, but not a drop to drink! I saw your lynx at the Nats at twin lakes Darin, Congrats by the way. You racing with the club Sunday? Would like to pick yur brain on some set-up hints for my ML310.

I've aquired 3 OPC hulls over the last 6mos. or so (1) a brand new unmolested Stiletto (2) H&M F-1 Skater (3) TFL Sprint F-3. Which one would you guys put together?

cough........ cough....... how do you find the lower unit?
    Tommy Levescy sponsored by: RCJuice.com, Rawspeed, Scorpion Precision Performance, TC Racing, Triton RC, Oxidean Marine and Cencal Hobbies.
    Current Namba 1mile record holder: Pltd sport hydro 1:19:72 P-sport hydro 1:14:31

Quote Originally Posted by flraptor07 View Post
    I've aquired 3 OPC hulls over the last 6mos. or so (1) a brand new unmolested Stiletto (2) H&M F-1 Skater (3) TFL Sprint F-3. Which one would you guys put together?
    Nice collections! Speaking of tunnel hulls, I have a few ( not to brag, but to "commiserate") : two ML PS-295, one TS-3, one VS-1 and a Woodstuff tunnel. Last but not least, a NIB Stiletto
    I've got FE addiction...
    Last edited by tlandauer; 07-30-2014 at 10:52 PM.
    Too many boats, not enough time...

Quote Originally Posted by tlandauer View Post
    Nice collections! Speaking of tunnel hulls, I have a few ( not to brag, but to "commiserate") : two ML PS-295, one TS-3, one VS-1 and a Woodstuff tunnel. Last but not least, a NIB Stiletto
    I've got FE addiction...
    It's not an addiction, it's an OBSESSION!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123