Thread: Removed Battery Tray

Default Had to removed Battery Tray

Removed the stock battery tray it was Cracked/Spilt, replacing with Fiber-Glass Tray. Question any easy trick removing white Adhesive that held the battery tray from factory?

Not going to Carbon Fiber hull, want to run two 1 1/2"x12" wide med weight F/G cloth , Above new F/G battery tray and between the strakes. Pulled Foam from bow, going to use pool noodle.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Jim

Question: I've never worked with Caron Fiber, will Z-poxy finishing resin work , Do you scuff the shinny area on carbon fiber when you placing it on the resin?
    Might use a Carbon Fiber Battery in the Revolt instead of the F/G Battery tray ?
    Last edited by JLShip; 08-21-2013 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Additional info...

DSCF2618.jpg

A friend I called, explained that finishing resin, would work for the purpose that I was going to use it and that Carbon/Fiber would work on the F/G hull of the Revolt..
    Thanks
    Last edited by JLShip; 08-25-2013 at 09:45 AM.

Where did you find that battery mount? I have the same problem with my tray and needs to be replaced.
    Thanks M

I want to add a layer of cf inside my hull and put a cf battery tray in it. Just need to order my stuff up.

Quote Originally Posted by Margeibel View Post
    Where did you find that battery mount? I have the same problem with my tray and needs to be replaced.
    Thanks M
    Our local OSE, make sure you get the 200mm C/F
    RC Grandpa
    NAMBA Dist. 9
    Folsom R/C Modeleers

Found it Thanks

JLShip,

Your boat looks good. What technique did you use to get the old tray out? It seems difficult to get around it to cut the white silicone, given how close the edge of the tray is to the edges of the opening in the hull.

Thanks.
    Revolt 30, River Jet, Southampton Tug, Outcast 6S BLX, 8ight-E, Ten-SCBE, 22 2.0.
    '09 Miata.
    Ibanez basses and guitars. Mapex drums, Zildjian cymbals.

Quote Originally Posted by skeeler View Post
    JLShip,

Your boat looks good. What technique did you use to get the old tray out? It seems difficult to get around it to cut the white silicone, given how close the edge of the tray is to the edges of the opening in the hull.

Thanks.
    No tricks, just worked at it, pulled it slowly, start in a corner.
    RC Grandpa
    NAMBA Dist. 9
    Folsom R/C Modeleers

Thanks for the info.
    Revolt 30, River Jet, Southampton Tug, Outcast 6S BLX, 8ight-E, Ten-SCBE, 22 2.0.
    '09 Miata.
    Ibanez basses and guitars. Mapex drums, Zildjian cymbals.

I used 30lb. fishing line. Put it under the tray and pull it along. works great.

Quote Originally Posted by fastracer View Post
    I used 30lb. fishing line. Put it under the tray and pull it along. works great.
    I like the fishing line high pressure right where you need it to cut it loose. Good one.
    Do It Like You Mean It .....or Don't Bother

That's right , just start at one corner and keep rolling it up like putty . I took steel brush afterwards then cleaned with thinner. Here is pic of cv bottom and new trays.image.jpg

^that right there is beautiful

First Post here.....Just got my RxR Revolt (First Boat Also)... Pretty impressed with quality of product, but some shady assembly at the factory....Oh well, gonna tear it all down anyway, to locktite, etc...

My question is: If I remove my battery tray and buy the carbon fiber tray, what type of glue should I use to attach the new CF tray?

5 min. epoxy or GOOP seems to be the answer. I can't decide whether to get 2 trays, or 1. It seems that the single, centered, tray would be the best setup for centering all the weight in the lowest spot in the hull. You could run 4, 5, or 6s with one tray, and only 4 and 6s with dual side trays since 2s and 3s packs will be different sizes and weights.

Don't know about Goop, but 5 min. epoxy is brittle and comes apart quite frequently. I would use 30 min. epoxy.
    Also sand, sand and sand with sand paper( 100grit will do) , then thoroughly clean with acetone before you apply epoxy. I like to run parallel setups and I like to have dual trays, both set like a "V" at the bottom, personal preference, that's all.

RV GOOP is just like ShoeGoo. I may just GOOP some temporary trays in for now, rather than epoxy them in. This way I can remove the tray and rebuild, once I'm ready. I'm thinking about making some small plywood trays for now, then maybe go with carbon fiber.

I just bought my boat and I am wanting to run her this coming weekend, but I haven't decided if I want to run single or dual trays. I've already thrashed the flimsy stock tray(during removal) while trying to install a waterproof rx box. That's another story. I'm going to Plasti-Dip the rx instead of use a rx box, so now I have an empty hull with no tray.