Thread: Soldering Problem

Default Soldering Problem

Hi, I bought a used Spartan that was modded out and ran off of two 7 cell 8.4v 3000mah nimh batteries. It runs pretty slow off those so I got some 11.1v 3s Venom 5000mah Lipo 35C batteries and the boat rips. Problem is the soldering comes apart from the connectors to the batteries. In 4 runs it came off the black wire going into the traxxas connector 2 times on one side and 1 time on the other (I re-soldered it properly each time).

Obviously the wires are getting hot. I believe I read that the boat can handle this type of battery but so far it only lasts 2-5 min before the soldering breaks off the connector.

This boat has a vxl-6s esc, aftermarket prop and steering parts along with a new waterjacket for the motor and a separate water pick-up.

Have any of you guys had this type of thing happening? Can I solve it or do I have the wrong batteries?

Thanks!!

I was just thinking that maybe I have to use a stronger solder like silver that can handle the hot temperatures.

You need to go to 5.5mm bullet plugs: http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...d=ose-55bullet
    They handle higher amp draws and will stay cooler.
    What prop is the after marker one? Are your motor and ESC hot, if yes, those are signs that the set up is having too much amp draw. You might have to prop down a bit. But bullet connector is a very necessary up grade.

Ya bullet connectors for sure. Good solder with silver content like RadioShack 96/4 is awesome. It comes in a tube and is expensive but very worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by iridebikes247 View Post
    Ya bullet connectors for sure. Good solder with silver content like RadioShack 96/4 is awesome. It comes in a tube and is expensive but very worth it.
    Yup, also a good soldering station is a must for silver content solder.

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm going to try the bullet connectors for sure.

I'm not sure what my aftermarket prop is but it is worn a bit, I'm going to get a new one. My esc and motor are not too warm so I think I'm good there.

I'll give an update after I fix it up.

Your main problem is your batteries. You need to run 50c or higher on this boat. I agree the connectors are poo, but your batteries can't keep up with the amp draw that motor wants. My buddy has one and I've heard all about it. Also, when I run too low of a "c" battery on my boats, the wires get hot too. Change to my 50c, wires don't get hot.

I'm not sure about needing to change to 50C. I took the boat to my local hobby shop and he said for sure I needed the bullet connectors but also different wires that can handle the voltage. Pretty cheap and easy fix so I'll try that first before I give up on those batteries. Will test it out next week.

I got my boat back today and tested it out. It worked perfectly and had a long run time. Very fast!

I just have to work out a small speed wobble it has when wide open. I think my trim tabs were adjusted down too much.