Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help I Need More Cheap Speed

Bduncan, that sounds like the Seaking ESC calibration, not the stock Aquacraft ESC arming/calibration.

http://www.hobbywing.com/uploadfiles...nual/HW-15.pdf

versus

http://manuals.hobbico.com/aqu/aqub24-25-manual.pdf

Please verify.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinWolv View Post
    So you had your throttle trim set to middle and it would arm?
    I never had to mess with the trim on the Radio.

My bad

Quote Originally Posted by rickwess View Post
    I never had to mess with the trim on the Radio.
    Good piece of info, thanks. I'll mess with it tonight.

I wonder if this comes into play from the manual:
    NOTE: Before or after the above, IF your boat’s power system emits
    consecutive beeps, your throttle trim will likely need to be reversed.

Mine does the constant 1sec beep pattern at middle/0 trim, so after rebind, I'll try setting radio to middle, seeing what happens, and if it beeps like that again, I'll try reversing the throttle trim to see what happens.

Let me know how it works out.

When you get frustrated, see if you can get a SK 120A cheap. The SK 180A is overkill and you'll have trouble finding a good spot for it that doesn't interfere with battery placement.

Reversing throttle setting didn't work.

Set it up again.........acts the same way. Fully charged packs. Have to set throttle trim 3 notches down from middle/zero. Obviously haven't tested it on the water yet.

I'm not sure what to say or how to help. If I can break away from work tomorrow I can plug the stock ESC (it for sale too) into my Revolt and go through the set-up. We're both using Spectrum so it would be a good sanity check.

Thanks rick. I'm hoping to hit the water after work tomorrow so hopefully another data point.

I found the stock receivers on the revolt to be less than desirable

The stock Tactic Rx is on Ebay.
    I've only been using a MR200 in mine, as I didn't want a bunch of radios for different boats.....just the Spektrum for all of them.

Reversing throttle setting didn't work.

Set it up again.........acts the same way. Fully charged packs. Have to set throttle trim 3 notches down from middle/zero. Obviously haven't tested it on the water yet.
    I have two Tatic radio's and both need the Throttle Trim set at 2 o'clock for 100% throttle.
    Do It Like You Mean It .....or Don't Bother

Thanks Mike, I'm using Spektrum DX3C with Spektrum MR200. Going to double-check the arming and then set trim to middle (100%) after arming, hopefully on the water after work and see what happens.

I'm not sure how much this will be. I just tried my AQ ESC with my Spektrum DX3S and MR200. Using a pack at storage level, I was able to get it to arm properly regardless of my throttle trim setting. I tried 0, B50 and a few in between.

To reiterate the manual:

- Plug in the packs «Beep»
    - Squeeze the throttle trigger and hold «Beep»
    - Release the trigger «Beep-Beep-Beep»
    - Your boat is now ready to operate!

Since you are having issue with top speed, try this:

- set your throttel travel at neutral
    - use what ever throttle trim setting to get the ESC to arm
    - set your throttle travel to 120%

Rick, I appreciate you taking the time to post and compare.

Ok, hit a lake on the way home. Heavier chop than usual so the Revolt was really bouncing around. Wind was sustained 10mph, gusting 20-some.

Had to set trim -3 to arm. Exact setup as rick outlined.

Then moved trim up to 0 and then +18 (118%) to just below where the prop was spinning.

Runs were back to back, no changes to boat except to change out the packs.

Nanotechs - 36.x mph
    Hyperions - 40.1mph

Nanotech temps were in the 110-115degF range, motor and ESC no more than 90 as I recall.
    Hyperion temps were considerably lower.....in the 90s, motor and ESC were high 80s.

Boat was definitely not running wet. Only rear of the hull was in the water when heading downwind. Was about 50-75% throttle upwind, as it was too rough for full out.

Chop was slowing things up for sure at times as boat was clearing the water sometimes. Heading upwind, she actually submarined a couple times and caught air, but I got lucky and didn't flip her. Near the end of the 2nd run, the servo mount broke loose so have to epoxy that guy back in place and will run again in a couple days hopefully in calmer water.

Starting to suspect I got one of the lower-performance 1800kv motors........

Anyway, interesting that there was 4mph between the packs.
    Last edited by AustinWolv; 10-29-2013 at 07:44 PM. Reason: fixed typo

40mph isn't bad in large chop.

It you have access to a m445 or m545, I would try those before you do anything else.

40mph isn't bad in large chop.

It you have access to a m445 or m545, I would try those before you do anything else.
    Chop -> that was my thought too, so I want to get it on calm water again before making any moves.

M prop -> I do have a S&B M445, so will run that comparison the next time out also.

Then moved trim up to 0 and then +18 (118%) to just below where the prop was spinning.
    Next time, don't adjust the throttle trim after you arm it. Change your throttle travel to 120%. It's in one of the sub menus.
    Last edited by rickwess; 10-30-2013 at 12:15 PM.

Ah, I follow now. Misread your earlier post . Thanks

This might well be a battery issue.

I say that because I ran my BJ29 today with 5S (Nano 2S + Nano 3S), and it was eh. I then put in two 2S Hyperions for 4S.......wow. The boat was flying and I actually had a blowover. The BJ29 was the kind of performance I expected out of FEs......it has a 1900kv with M445, and it was moving.....couldn't GPS it because the batteries on my GPS died, but plan to tomorrow morning. Once I brought it in, I put in two 2S Nanos and the speed was horrible -> WOT and no worry about any sort of blowover or worries about handling because the boat was slow as hell.

I've got some 4S' now that I need to switch connectors out on and then I'll test the Revolt again, as well as run the Hyperions again in it, but it appears the 2S Nanos I was using in it are crap.

Follow-up on this, got 4 good runs in today.

Throttle travel at 100%. Light chop. Strut centerline is 0.43" up from very bottom of hull best I can measure. Turn fins all the way back and all the way up. Trim tabs are neutral or maybe up just a touch. Battery is pretty far back, not touching the motor, but maybe 1/2" short of it. Light radius on rudder and sharpened.

M445 S&B with Dinogy 4S - 42.9mph (motor temp 90deg, ESC caps 105, battery 115)
    X642 S&B with Dinogy 4S - 41.7mph (motor temp88, ESC caps 90, battery 110)
    X642 S&B with Nanotech 4S - 40.0mph (motor 90, ESC caps 90, battery 105)
    M445 S&B with Nanotech 4S - 40.4mph (motor 90, ESC 85-90, battery 115)

X642 was a bit more planted and very smooth. The M445 made the boat feel a little more loose and experienced a touch of chine walking.

Those other Nano 2Ss in series I mentioned earlier in the thread weren't putting out correctly.

Now to play with setup a little more and try to squeeze out a bit more speed.

Changed the setup slightly on the Revolt.
    -Shimmed the strut mount on the right side to get some deviation so thrust would move the bow left in order to run the rudder more straight instead of kicked over with left trim.
    -Moved the strut back down and about 0.4" off the very bottom of the hull
    -Move the battery back to just short of touching the motor
    -Trim tabs neutral

Using M445 S&B this morning on smooth water, hit 48.1mph on stock motor, ESC, and 4S 4000mAh Dinogy. I'll take it.

Boat was a bit squirrely as it was riding on the very end the hull, so any wake or small waves would make it start chine walking, but otherwise, it actually rode very well on smooth water.

It was nice to not have so much left trim on the radio, and boat was running very straight at full speed.
    Turn fins are still all the way up and angled back fully.

Also ran a X642 S&B again immediately on the next run and the boat runs noticeably wetter and slower.......low 40s, so it handles much easier of course. But the battery temp was much higher after the X642 run compared to the M445 run.

The boat definitely likes the 45mm prop better.

Next to do:
    -Adjust inner trim tabs down just a touch to settle the hull down just a bit
    -Scuff hull
    -Probably will buy M645 S&B and see how the hull responds
    -Keep on testing!

I'm glad it's working better now. The m645 is probably too much prop. My Revolt's sweet spot was with the m545.

Hi Rick, did you thin your 545 out also as others have mentioned or just S&B?

Thanks for helping out!

My Revolt's sweet spot was with the m545.
    Was that on stock ESC and motor and 4S battery?
    Revolt 30, River Jet, Southampton Tug, Outcast 6S BLX, 8ight-E, Ten-SCBE, 22 2.0.
    '09 Miata.
    Ibanez basses and guitars. Mapex drums, Zildjian cymbals.

I did thin it out quite a bit.

It's was with the stock motor. The 2030kv motor was running a little hot with the m545 so I just ran with the m445 most of the time.

Thanks. I've been running the x642, but I may try out the m445 or m545 now. I have the stock electronics, and I use 5450-mAh batts.
    Revolt 30, River Jet, Southampton Tug, Outcast 6S BLX, 8ight-E, Ten-SCBE, 22 2.0.
    '09 Miata.
    Ibanez basses and guitars. Mapex drums, Zildjian cymbals.

Any quicker with the 2030/M445 setup, compared to the 1800/M545 ????

Great job!!!! Proves to me Grim 4s Battery for $150.00 was worth it for me.
    Do It Like You Mean It .....or Don't Bother

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12