Thread: EC5 ok?

Default EC5 ok?

Impulse 31 V2, with Castle's Hydra ICE 240 and 1515/1Y 2200 KV motor.
    Octura M445 balanced/sharpened prop, 4S LiPo. Maybe occasionally 5S for hyper speed.
    Right now I have to upgrade all my LiPo connectors from Traxxas plugs to something 'higher current', as the Traxxas connectors doesn't seem to be enough for the above high Amp setup.

I have quite a few EC5 sets around, would that be ok? No idea what the above setup will be drawing (data logging feature will show me later) but Castle told me somewhere in the 120-150A range.
    EC5 is rated for 120A continously, but would higher be ok for them?

I really don't want to switch to 5.5 or 6 mm bullets. They are very hard to plug and unplug (extremely snug fit) and I want to keep the convenience of a connector, and... Like I said, I already have EC5's laying around...

Thanks!!

I would not use the EC5 on this application. I have had bad experiences with the style bullet connectors that are used with those. They just don't seem to be good enough quality. I would strongly recommend Deans....or even better CC bullets right off the ESC to the batteries. I understand the easy of connection that you mentioned, but keep in mind if its that easy to plug and unplug then how much contact is actually being made. Less contact means higher temps as the amps try to flow though that loose connection. I reserve the EC5's for my small heli's and low draw airplanes. Even then I try to switch them to deans as soon as I get a chance. I hope this helps, good luck!!

Quote Originally Posted by dvrmn View Post
    I would not use the EC5 on this application. I have had bad experiences with the style bullet connectors that are used with those. They just don't seem to be good enough quality. I would strongly recommend Deans....or even better CC bullets right off the ESC to the batteries. I understand the easy of connection that you mentioned, but keep in mind if its that easy to plug and unplug then how much contact is actually being made. Less contact means higher temps as the amps try to flow though that loose connection. I reserve the EC5's for my small heli's and low draw airplanes. Even then I try to switch them to deans as soon as I get a chance. I hope this helps, good luck!!
    Well thanks for your reply, but what would Deans do for me? Genuine Deans Ultra are rated for like 75A continuous, and the Traxxas High Current connectors are rated the same, if not higher (some state up to 100A continuous).

Anyway... in the meantime I went ahead with the EC5 plugs and have had some very agressive runs on 4S with the aforementioned setup.
    The data log show me an average Amp flow of 75A, with peaks (coming from accelerating and full speed turns) of 170A.
    EC5 plugs are holding up pretty fine, although they are pretty warm (wires too) after the run. WARM, not hot, so for now my conclusion is that the EC5 connectors are holding up fine.

But I am still thinking.... wouldn't the Traxxas High Current connectors be capable of doing the same thing? 75A continous and 170A bursts?

Obviously not since you're changing them

Correct, I am just wondering if I should have....

Bullets for boats. Anything else is a waste of time

I guess I wasn't clear enough on my set up. I run the CC 5.5mm bullets on my boat. I feel Deans are a better choice than the EC5 and I didn't have any issues running the Deans on my boat with 6s in it. I have melted 2 EC5's in RC cars though. That's why I run Deans in them. I just like the bullets better....that's just my experience. I agree that bullets are the best for boats.

deans better than EC5???
    this is a joke a presume?
    when you melted EC5 (in a ca!) you surely need to improve your soldering skills dvrmn

deans can not handle the amps on which an ec5 can draw

dont use deans

go for sometning more properly

You also got 2 different types of ec5, One banana type and one bullet type.
    I would guess the bullet type can handle much more amps then the banana ones. Just like a 5mm bullet.

I put 5.5 on all my boats,
    Add more solder to the out side of the plug and double up on shrink wrap to get a better grip on them,
    And twist and turn them to unplug and plug them in a little easier.
    Other than mini's they have deans on them.
    ? ONLY IF THEY WORK

My youtube videos.http://www.youtube.com/user/61manx?feature=mhee

indeed and Yep

Do NOT for deans, a buddy of mine bought a RTR boat and melted the deans so 2 battery packs got short circuit. The EC5 (bullet type) he went with afterwards were good for his setup (100A) On your setup I would do as the rest here agrees on, the bullet connectors. If you think it's a pain in the ass, it's much worse when your standing there with the batteries gone and in worst case all of the electronics.

Do Not go for**