Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: TFL Hobbies "Popeye" Hydro

Default TFL Hobbies "Popeye" Hydro

Snooping around the Internet a few weeks ago, I came across this

http://www.tflhobby.com/product/ele_...popeye_y.html#

As I already have one of their Genesis hulls (that I was reasonably impressed with the overall quality of the construction), I though the Popeye might make an interesting P-Spec Hydro (LSH) or possibly a P-Hydro.
    Just an FYI, my Genesis pushes 60 Mph on a 6S setup and has survived several spectacular crashes with no apparent issues, so in my book, that makes it a well built hull.

After contacting TFL and discussing the possibilities, they were kind enough to offer me a free hull/hardware so I could install my electronics as I see fit.

After 8 days in transit (including a Canadian long weekend) it arrived this afternoon.

I'll start posting pics as I put it together.

TFL Hydro 008.JPGTFL Hydro 010.JPGTFL Hydro 012.JPGTFL Hydro 014.JPGTFL Hydro 033.JPG

I asked TFL if I could have a simple, plain white hull as it will get my usual black/white checker treatment when its done. Again, they were kind enough to agree.

The inside hull is as big as a bathtub with lots of room for 2x 2S setups, single 4S or 4S2P setups with lots of room to spare.

TFL Hydro 017.JPGTFL Hydro 018.JPGTFL Hydro 019.JPGTFL Hydro 020.JPGTFL Hydro 021.JPG

And more battery configurations: The 1st 2 pics are 2s packs, the rest are 4S 5800 mah packs

TFL Hydro 023.JPGTFL Hydro 022.JPGTFL Hydro 024.JPGTFL Hydro 025.JPGTFL Hydro 026.JPG
    Last edited by Doby; 08-09-2013 at 06:55 PM.

And some more: These are 5800mah 4S packs.....pretty big.

TFL Hydro 027.JPGTFL Hydro 028.JPG
    Last edited by Doby; 08-09-2013 at 06:54 PM.

I want one,
    Looks like a really nice hull.
    And their other boat look very cool to,
    What are their prices on them ?
    I do not see any on their site.
    ? ONLY IF THEY WORK

My youtube videos.http://www.youtube.com/user/61manx?feature=mhee

Hi Lenny:

You would have to contact TFL for the price.

Here are some pics of the strut removed, with the square shaft and flex:

Shaft 001.JPGShaft 002.JPGShaft 003.JPG

It did have an ample amount of grease on it, but I cleaned it off and will use my GrimRacer grease instead...just my preference.

One area that needed re-enforcing was where the stuffing tube exits the hull...out comes the good old JB Weld, after scruffing the tube and hull with 80 grit sandpaper.

JB Weld 001.JPGJB Weld 004.JPG

I've wondered about these hulls..
    what is the length and width ?
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

Be prepared to cut those deep air traps off by capping them off now.

Quote Originally Posted by jcald2000 View Post
    Be prepared to cut those deep air traps off by capping them off now.
    English please???

Are you referring to the strakes along the bottom of the hull?

This is a great looking hull.

It is also available at HOR as a plain hull
    http://www.horracing.com/product_inf...roducts_id=567

or ARTR
    http://www.horracing.com/product_inf...roducts_id=569

I will be very interested in your setup and results Doby.

Yeah, that's what he means... Skinny tunnel so possibly they are to trap more air for lower power systems??? I'm glad you got it for free as it is one FUNKY design.

Quote Originally Posted by Doby View Post
    English please???

Are you referring to the strakes along the bottom of the hull?
    Nortavlag Bulc

No major hull mods will be done, its going to hit the water as close to stock as possible. Why would I do that before it even gets wet the first time??

Quote Originally Posted by ray schrauwen View Post
    Yeah, that's what he means... Skinny tunnel so possibly they are to trap more air for lower power systems??? I'm glad you got it for free as it is one FUNKY design.
    Hi Ray:

It is a funky design...something a bit different... Come down next weekend and see her go!

Quote Originally Posted by Doby View Post
    Hi Ray:

It is a funky design...something a bit different... Come down next weekend and see her go!
    I can come by but, I can't run boats since I have no IMPBA and I haven't joined GRMM. Of course you are always welcome to come out my way to run boats. I run at Louis St. Laurent blvd. Flood pond in Milton and another flood pond at 9th line and Brittania for free...
    Nortavlag Bulc

Also did it come with the TFL 3660 2075kv 4 pole motor?? That is a legal motor by NAMBA since they have been in a production run greater than 100+ units...
    Nortavlag Bulc

Quote Originally Posted by ray schrauwen View Post
    Also did it come with the TFL 3660 2075kv 4 pole motor?? That is a legal motor by NAMBA since they have been in a production run greater than 100+ units...
    Nope, just got the hull and hardware...as for the legality of the motor......thats a topic for another thread because we all know where that could lead to!!!!

Don't want to get into that on this thread.

It's right in NAMBA rules as I read them before going to MI Cup. But, yes that's another thread.....

Me so sorry! lol...
    Nortavlag Bulc

Thanks..

Quote Originally Posted by chief3452 View Post
    This is a great looking hull.

It is also available at HOR as a plain hull
    http://www.horracing.com/product_inf...roducts_id=567

or ARTR
    http://www.horracing.com/product_inf...roducts_id=569

I will be very interested in your setup and results Doby.
    thanks now I can see the specs of the hull
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

i like the room inside...is it very light? say lighter then a fe 30? looks good too
    MY RETIREMENT PLAN?????.....POWERBALL
    74 vintage kirby clasic hydro, pursuit mono, mg, 47'' mono, popeye hydro...

Not sure what an FE 30 weighs......but with all the hardware and electronics in it, this weighs in at 4.1lbs

My current Phil Thomas LSH weighs in at 4.4 lbs.
    My Motley Crew weighs 4.5 lbs
    My Revolt weighs 3.8 lbs
    Last edited by Doby; 08-09-2013 at 07:02 PM.

Thanks for the PM John, I'd like to see it run. This weekend is a bust with Honey Do'd etc... Next weekend sounds good too. Might have my PT back together to race you against this one...
    Nortavlag Bulc

WP_20130615_002 (640x360).jpgI have had one of these hulls for a few months now, with limited success. It initially ran quite wet and so I have tried a couple of motors and adjusted the strut angle. First ran with a Leopard LPB4074 2200 KV on 4S and was just too slow. Next I tried a TP4060 motor on 6S and speed and handling was better, but not nearly as fast as my Insane FE30 with Neu 1515 motor. It remains a work in progress.

JB Weld dried nicely....shaft won't be going anywhere now.
    More Popeye 001.JPG

Installed a trusty old (2 years) 2030 KV motor and AQ 60 map controller...pretty much the standard electronics for LSH. I was going to try a new 1800 Kv motor, but seeing how light the hull was, opted for the higher KV instead.

More Popeye 002.JPGMore Popeye 004.JPGMore Popeye 005.JPGMore Popeye 006.JPGMore Popeye 007.JPG

Rudder and steering servo next...I really like the rudder, It has water pickups on both sides (a nice touch) and comes with a breakaway nylon screw as well. the leading edge required a small bit of clean-up to achieve an even, sharp edge.

This was also the first time I used ty-wraps as a mounting method....the servo mounting tray has a deep channel where the servo mounting tabs fit in...keeps it aligned perfectly..added the lower ty-wrap and it barely moved...the top ty-wrap slot and some fiberglass resin in it so it didn't side through evenly as the lower one did...but still does a decent job of holding the servo in place.

More Popeye 008.JPGMore Popeye 009.JPGMore Popeye 013.JPGMore Popeye 010.JPGMore Popeye 012.JPG

Turn Fin:

Added the small turn fin that was supplied with the rest of the hardware....it does seem rather small, but lets see what it can do before condemning it.

Both the turnfin mounting area as well as the strut/rudder mounting area have plywood backer plates fiberglassed in for re-enforcement.

turn fin 001.JPG

So now that all the assembly pics are have been posted, I can tell you all that I got it out this afternoon for some trial runs.

Despite what Kenrid said a few post up, I had no problem with the hull running wet, it aired out quite nicely.

My goal is to set this up as a competitive P-Spec LSH.

First off, all tests were done as follows...

Each run was done for 3 laps around our ponds markers.
    The strut was raised fairly high to start with and was not adjusted for any of the runs.
    Each run used a fully charged 5800mah 4S 25C Turnigy pack.(2nd season for all packs)
    Winds ranged from 0 to 10 Mph and water from glass to slight ripples.

The first run used a sharpened and balanced Octura X642: The prop hooked up right away with minimal cavitation. After 3 laps, temps on the motor=109, temps on the controller=105 and the battery was barely warm. GPS said 44.6 Mph.

The next few runs used all sorts of props from Grimm Lifters to assorted Octuras and Prathers (2 and 3 bladed) all with similar results as above (give or take a bit either way).

The last run used a reasonably sharp and balanced Octura X447: The prop hooked up with no issues. After 3 laps, temps on the motor=119, temps on the controller=112 and the battery was barely warm. GPS said 47.8 Mph. This was the best speed run of the afternoon.

Then I went home pretty happy

I'm sure that with some prop sharpening and messing with the strut angle a bit, this will get into the low 50's in spec trim. Even as it sits, its should be a competitive boat.

Note, with the rather small turn fin, I was surprised to find out that it turned on a dime and had almost no slippage in the turns. It might be a different story in some chop and race water conditions though...I will be changing it to a larger/deeper fin in the near future. But for fun running at the pond in light wind conditions, it actually did its job well. Turning left
    did result in some cool spinouts though unless the turns were really wide.

The boat aired out nicely with any of the props I tried. There was no sponson walking either...nice and stable.

I did have one rather spectacular flip/tumble/end over end wipeout and when it floated back to shore, there was no damage and dry inside.

Taping the hatch was easy as well, similar to a UL-1, but with the bump in the front cowling making it only a slight bit more challenging.

So to summarize, in my humble Canadian opinion, there is another option available for a LSH hull that people should consider.

Starting to look pretty...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast