Thread: Mystic motor and ESC upgrade, need advice!

Default Mystic motor and ESC upgrade, need advice!

Hey Guys,

My neighbor has a PB Mystic and wants to upgrade. I think he should stick with 4s, but seems to want 6s after he sees me running 6s with my Spartan and FC Daytona. I still think 4s is the way to go with this boat based on what I have read here in the forums. It seems a hopped up 4s mystic should run with my 6s boats no problem.

Anyhow, what additional hardware is needed to upgrade to a Tacon 4074 2150Kv, Turnigy 120 or 180 ESC and an M445? Will the stock coupler and motor mount work? I don't have his boat to measure the shaft or mount at the moment...what else is needed to adapt the motor and ESC with this boat? thanks!

Hi I have upgraded my mystic with the Hobbywing 180 ESC and Tacon 4074 2150kv motor with the m445 prop and that will get you into the 50's with ease on 4s lipo and also runs nice and cool.I am using the stock mount with it but you may want to add a little support for the rear of the motor but it is not required.The stock coupler will also work but I put an octura in mine and like it alot better than the stock one.I also put in an OSE upgraded flex cable in mine but you can use the stock one also.The length on the shaft is longer with the tacon than the stock motor but I just moved the mount back all the way and it gives me enough room.This setup runs great and you will be pleased with it.In the future you might want to try running it on 4s in parallel instead of 2 2s lipos in series and that will give you longer runtimes and more amps.

Good luck,
    Brandon...

I run that exact setup on 4s and it's in the 50s as bdp stated. I also use the stock motor mount works fine I ended up cutting the tacon shaft down but either will work. I used the tock cable and coupler but just switched to the ose coupler, man is it way better IMO, also for a cable but my stock one was working fine. Just wanted to upgrade it because I had a little extra cash!
    Oh and the m445 is a little big on the prop shaft and the nut won't go on fully, I used loctite on the jut and it held it in place secured for at least 10-11 runs. The upgraded cable has a longer prop shaft so u don't have this problem though.

Dudes, thanks for the info! That was exactly what I was looking for. It sounds like sticking to 4s is the way to go for my friend. I will order all his parts and get the upgrade going. I'll post results when finished, I think he will be happy with it when complete!

Is the stock 1800kv motor the same as the one for the stiletto? I think it's rated to 6s correct? We ran his boat on 6s for about 2 min on the stock electronics and it seemed to do ok, but I am not sure in the long run.....
    Last edited by jetnfast; 08-04-2013 at 08:45 AM.

Maybe explain to your friend that RPMs are a factor of motor kv and volts, so he can have his 4S setup turn as many RPMs as your 6S setup.
    Chief

I'm using a 3674 leopard 1650kv car motor with a seaking 120a and a hobbyking bec. Using two 3s 45c packs in series. It rips it up with a 442 prop. Temps aren't even worth posting everything is under 100°. Good run times too. Might try a larger prop soon. I'm a play all day kinda guy though. Don't care how fast I'm going compared to everyone else. As long as I can keep up I'm good. I see people around me trying to reach higher speeds and end up sitting on the sidelines because of some electronic or mechanical failure. I'm not a racer.... Just having fun. Pretty sure I am in the 40-50mph zone but again I'm not too worried about speed. I also upgraded the canopy to fibreglass from one of the members here on OSE and it's worth every penny. A wipeout at those speeds will crush the crappy stock canopy.

*Edit* I realize you have made your choice. I just wanted to add my setup to show other options. 3s is a tighter fit but I added straps and got rid of the Velcro.

I figured someone had a 6s setup out there! I think I am going to stick with 4s for his boat, just about to purchase everything now...thanks for the help guys!

here is a Clip With the mystic and Geico running leo 2150 on 4s:

Drammen rock City

Well my friend has been enjoying the mystic that I hopped up for him tacon 4074, seaking 120 and a M445 prop on 4s. Its fast, much faster than stock. We did a drag race today between my Traxxas Spartan and he had me by 1/2 a boat length. Impressive. He needs to learn throttle control though, this was the 3rd time he has crashed it at WOT, and this time broke the canopy and lost the tupper ware hatch. I think this setup is about as much as this boat can handle....with throttle control.

Any luck on your upgrades looking to do the same and was wondering where to start with my mystic 29 diablo.

Looking to upgrade my mystic 29 diablo any advice would be greatly appreciated everything is stock running on speed pack 5200 5c

Yeah the setup works well for his boat, you just have to use throttle control. I installed the Tacon (same as leopard but cheaper!) 4074, and seaking 120 amp ESC in an evening. I took quite a bit of time making sure the geometry was correct with the flex shaft, etc. but his setup has been reliable and runs cool, you just need to use throttle control on WOT passes depending on the conditions, otherwise it will flip. We have tried many battery placement positions and have found the best so far is with the batteries ( 2 x 5300 2s packs) slightly overhanging the front of the battery trays. I added straps and extra Velcro for hold downs.