Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fast Electric World Championships

Thanks, Paul.
    Interesting mods. In your opinion, are these mods secondary to getting the wiredrive angle right? That is my hunch.
    Best,
    Erik

Dee was there and came second in Mono1 with the new Sirrius, David Niewland was not there. Joseph was tough to beat in the heats, but in the calmer final his unstepped Triton was a bit sticky so he was slower than he was in the heats and his cells were dumping at the end, the Belgians had plenty of speed to blitz past him on the straights and not worry about trying to get inside him on a corner.

The stock ETTI Exiga is a great boat, very fast and good handling, the most common Mono2 at the worlds and most of them were stock, set it up right and you can have a boat that is competitive at the highest level. In flat water it is probably better than Tom's, however when the water is rough they can catch the nose on a wave and dive for the bottom so make sure you have a failsafe set and plenty of floatation inside.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

Thanks, Paul. It is great that you provide us with these glimpses into the world championship.

Do you have any pictures of the new Sirius? The only picture I've found on the web is the one promo shot.

Best,
    Erik.

Hi guys.

WC in Belgium....

Best race, best time.....

I got two World champion titles. In ECO MINI Expert and in FSR E. :)

My ЕСО expert took 12th place - the boat was *damp*, a new ... tuned only to the last race ...
    It's a pity ..

The plan had three gold medals ...

But two - too great ...

More vids and pics - coming soon
    Last edited by Gromov; 08-24-2013 at 06:37 PM.
    ecomaster.torgg.com

Very well done Evgeniy, 73 laps in FSR-E is awesome, 6 laps ahead of the next best scores, we don't run FSR-E in England so it was the first time I had seen it, I was expecting it to be a lot slower given the (15min?) runtime, but they are pretty damned quick, I may have pics and vids too still going through them and it is taking a while as I am back to work and I took a lot. Did you see the Mini Eco Junior Team final or were you too busy preparing for your own Finals? I am usually a surface drive guy but that was one of the best and most spectacular races I have ever seen in any class.
    149.jpg221.jpg
    Last edited by NativePaul; 08-25-2013 at 01:25 AM.

Thank you for the congratulations, I'm a long time coming to this result ...
    I totally agree with Bill Ox. should have 1-3 class racing with the same rules of racing to the racers could compare the results and to become in the end - true Champions of the World.
    Now, in America - World Championship without Europe racers, in Europe -World Championship without American racers.

Need to do something
    Last edited by Gromov; 08-25-2013 at 11:35 AM.
    ecomaster.torgg.com

Quote Originally Posted by Gromov View Post
    Thank you for the congratulations, I'm a long time coming to this result ...
    I totally agree with Bill Ox. should have 1-3 class racing with the same rules of racing to the racers could compare the results and to become in the end - true Champions of the World.
    Now, in America - World Championship without Europe racers, in Europe -World Championship without American racers.

Need to do something
    Like button : )

so was that a 15 min race? I couldn't get the vid to work....if so. how do u get 15 min run on todays batteries?
    MY RETIREMENT PLAN?????.....POWERBALL
    74 vintage kirby clasic hydro, pursuit mono, mg, 47'' mono, popeye hydro...

I agree too, it would be great to see participation from more countries even more so when they are well into FE racing like Austalia, Canada and the United States of America are, thankfully the gaps in the competition are closing up in America at least, when Randall Tripp et al came over to the worlds in 96(?) did you even have an offshore class in the states?

If you take a small Pltd offshore mono it might do OK in Mono2 with just a change to a legal Battery, I have switched to 3s 4500mAh but I heard that the 2s folk had 7600mAh to play with, you would need to find 2 minutes of runtime, but if you run on 2p for Pltd offshore (do you? I'm guessing you do) a Naviga legal 560 gram battery is probably under half the weight of your 5Ah highC packs (thunderpowers are under 560g, Hyperions are over 560, Gens Ace are over 560) and shaving 1-1.5lb of your boat will gain you some time as will the lower RPM the lower C packs will give you.

Or you could try running a Pltd rigger on a motor and prop that you would use for Pltd offshore, just the switch to a rigger may get you the extra minute you need without propping down, my JAE runs fine on small X series props even though lifters are recommended for some reason. I run a 3674 in my JAE but several people at the worlds remarked at how big it was and indeed my last motor was a 220gram Mega 22/30/2 and was well up to the task just too high KV for me, so the spec Motors should be enough and the advantagious spec motor may switch from the UL1 which is a lot lower than usual for us, to the 1500kv proboat motor, being closer to the mark for 6s 4500mAh, with props around 40mm.

I am interested in how they get the runtime in FSR-E too, I am not even 100% sure that it is 15 mins, it was a good bit longer than Eco standard that is 10 mins though, I think they are allowed an 840g (2lb) battery (840g could be 2s 20Ah or 9s 4500mAh) which is quite a lot for a boat that is not that big, if you compare it in his second picture to the one in his first which is a mini and will be just under 450mm(17.5") long. they look just a little bigger than eco experts, what does yours weigh all up? 1600g/3.5lb?

Quote Originally Posted by ron1950 View Post
    so was that a 15 min race? how do u get 15 min run on todays batteries?
    22,2V 6300 mAh LiPo battery....

Race time 15 min, M cours 60x15 meters

Boat long 600 mm, weigt - 1400 grams
    Last edited by Gromov; 08-27-2013 at 05:35 AM.
    ecomaster.torgg.com

I finally finished with the Photos from Friday's practice session, lots of interesting pits photos IN MY PICASSA ALBUM but I will update with other days photos which are mainly boats on water at a later date. There is lots more to go in there but so far there are:-
    Pretty boats.

Interesting boats.

Many self-righting riggers.

And a few boats on the water.

More pics please! : )

Who makes the blue and white rigger ?

Did you check out the album Bill? There 120+ so far and more mainly action shots to come, but just for you I uploaded 2 more.
    Ted gets in on the action
    Ted gets through scruitenering in the drivers seat, out onto the drivers stand is pictured here being held aloft by his pit man Don in front of the transponder tent, and even passes a self-righting test to make sure he wont drown, but race control would not let him drive in case he fell off as he was not wearing a lifejacket, luckily George McDonald was on hand and offered to take on the driving duties once Ted told him which way up to hold the transmitter.

I'm not sure who makes the blue and white one, I think it comes out of France but anything else went in one ear and out the other, it was information overload and my main interests were sponson sizes/shapesangles and methods of getting riggers selfrighting rather than who sells what.

just a thought but what language did you all use over there? anything other than English and id be lost for a week
    MY RETIREMENT PLAN?????.....POWERBALL
    74 vintage kirby clasic hydro, pursuit mono, mg, 47'' mono, popeye hydro...

Me too, languages were not my strong point at school. Fortunately most of Europe speaks English as a second language so English seemed to be the de facto crossover language, and all calls for the next classes on the tannoys were in both German and English. The Chinese team tend not to speak English but they bring an interpreter with them, Mime and finger counting works quite well in those situations were you have no common language.

This not WC, but very impressive - this final race Russian Championship 2013. FSR E

ecomaster.torgg.com

Intense racing! The whole retrieve boat in the water during the race is almost like a corner marshall in rc car racing..

Yes, the evacuation of the boats in this class - the rules allowed.
    ecomaster.torgg.com

Quote Originally Posted by Gromov View Post
    Yes, the evacuation of the boats in this class - the rules allowed.
    Thats cool! Eliminates folks hitting dead boats..

It's damned scary too, I was in the right side rescue boat for some of the team events, and I dont mind telling you that I was bricking myself when I had to drive out onto an active course to rescue, boats going left and right of you, some coming straight at you and veering off at the last millisecond, I was very grateful for my brown trousers and bicycle clips!

I made a mistake earlier in saying that Dave Van Steelant who was running away with Mono2 was driving a Tom Feyen Exiga, looking back at my photos and videos, it seems that he was actually driving a Tenshock Tomahawk.

Rescue boats in the water during races are frowned upon by the IMPBA and NAMBA.....but hey, whatever works for you folks over there is great.

[QUOTE=NativePaul;524766]It's damned scary too, I was in the right side rescue boat for some of the team events, and I dont mind telling you that I was bricking myself when I had to drive out onto an active course to rescue, boats going left and right of you, some coming straight at you and veering off at the last millisecond, I was very grateful for my brown trousers and bicycle clips!

LoL!! I like this, it made me laugh out loud thanks for sharing, I was wondering what that would be like lol! Hey, makes for more exciting racing.

Quote Originally Posted by Doby View Post
    Rescue boats in the water during races are frowned upon by the IMPBA and NAMBA.....but hey, whatever works for you folks over there is great.
    I'm with you for the most part Doby, Naviga only allow it for the very long races of 15 & 18 minutes in duration, the rescue boat is not active during any of the hydro classes or Mono2, Mono1 team is the only surface drive class that it is active for and I think Mono1 is slower than any of the classes you regularly run in the states, but it is still pretty quick and they can get airborne so I don't like the rescue boat being active in that class myself, and don't see it remaining active for long, I personally won't do it for Mono1 team. The submerged drive classes are pretty quick but they don't tend to get airborne and when they do they don't go high, so while it is pretty scary being in the rescue boat while they are running, the worse that is likely to happen is a model boat hitting the rescue boat so there really isn't a safety issue.

No more Photos yet, but I spent the last couple of days uploading videos to youtube. No FSRE or team events as I didn't think I had the memory for the long races, which turned out to be correct, Hydro1 cuts out half way through and I was still uploading to my laptop when Hydro2 started so I missed the start and used my phone to record it rather than my camera.

Honestly, I can't imagine being out there with all those little razor sharp objects whipping about. Yikes.

What if the rescue boat takes you out? You're in a good groove and then wham! there's the rescue boat! Now you're fishing for parts.

You can retrieve boats during the race but the boats must have safety loops. That's interesting. Is the retrieve boat allowed out with the petrol boats as well?
    Hey congrats fellas and thanks for sharing!! Neat boats!!
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    District 13 Director 2011- present
    IMPBA National Records Director 2009-2019
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

The rescue boat does not just go out on its own accord, race control tell it when to go out and they also tell the racers that it is going out so they have fair warning. The rescue boat can not take you out, it has right of way so if you hit it it is your fault and you get disqualified. I think the boat classes that the rescue boat is active for are all small, light and slow enough that they will bounce of the rescue boat with minimal damage to themselves and no damage to the rescue boat, but if someone was to build a boat out of used chip packets and the worst happened then at least the rescue boat would be conveniently at hand so the fishing wouldn't take long.

I am an all electric modeller and always have been, I have only been to one race that had petrol boats running in it and the rescue boat was not allowed out with them, and I doubt that it would be for any, with the higher speed and much heavier and stronger boats I would have thought damage to the rescue boat would be a possibility should contact occur. There are OMRA offshore races for glow and Petrol boats though and they are a mixture of circuit racing in lakes and proper offshore racing in the sea with the drivers in chase boats following their models, though I have never been to one and don't know if there are lots of boats out at once or if it is a time trial one at a time.

Active rescue boats are not allowed out for any of the local electric races in the UK, that normally only rescues at the end of the race but if a boat looks like it is sinking the clock and race will be stopped, then when all the boats are stationary the rescue boat will go out, and when it comes back in and its wash dies down the race gets restarted. Only 2 heats once a year at the nationals have an active rescue boat.

The fastest class that has an active rescue boat is team mono1 which are 600-650mm (24-26") boats weighing about 1kg, 2.2lb with a 280g (10oz) battery, (approx 1/2 a 1p Pltd offshore battery weight) and has to run for an extra 2 minutes for a total of 6 minutes, so I should imagine that it is much slower and it will definitely have a lot less energy in a collision. All the fastest classes have static rescue boats as above, but at the worlds I don't think they were stopping races for sinking boats, there was plenty of divers on hand so they would continue the race and get the sunken boat recovered at lunch time or at the end of the day.

Hi Paul
    Do you have any videos of the F1E classes, looking at the results the records for the + & - kg classes are now sub 10 seconds and about 2 secs faster than the IC classes.
    Mark

I like this thread and its focus lets get off the safety subject of a system that has been working overseas for years. I personally think its cool each racer has to marshall including a mental and physical challenge. Gets the blood racin' : ) Nothing we say here is gonna change a thing over there and we're FAR from ever attempting it here. My home lake here in San Francisco is arguably the hottest model boat establishment in the country built in tye late 1800's specifically for model boats we have an on site model maritime museum with teather hydros dating back to the 40's.

Weve had SERIOUS accidents. Elderly women having their fibia shattered by ba gas cat runaway etc. I personally think an eco would deflect off the side of a retreive boat. That bein said I think theyre fine. Lets not discourage these folks from sharing due to persecution. Rock on world championships thanks for sharing

A sub-surface ECO has a tendency to "dive" or "stuff" upon impact from my experiences as you see in the vid they're not flying in the air upon impact.
    My theory is a neg angle drive.

They don't do it in all classes.
    I'm not gonna' sugar coat, the Europeans SCHOOL us when they come out here. Yes, they learn a trick or two from us, but they've got good game. Their stuff is well though out..
    Last edited by BILL OXIDEAN; 09-05-2013 at 06:31 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast