Thread: newbie with Impulse 31 v2 some questions and damage

Default newbie with Impulse 31 v2 some questions and damage

Hi there

first of all i am Marco from the netherlands

being doing rc for several years now but mainly cars (drifters and speedrunners)

since 2 months ago decided to buy a second hand or used Proboat which the previous owner did float 4 times and stoped and then did sell it to me

at first boating it on 4s i thought whooo but i did notice the hopping at high speeds or full throttle

so went to Fuzzy tuning with it which trimmed it for me and it was much better by then

2 weeks ago :

i did hit the shore (wood) or something in the water and did have some damage
    so did my google is your best friend stuff and came out here on this great forum

the damage i have is a cracked prop , a damaged flex axle and the motor mount is shoved

so

also did read many topics on this site and did follow Darian his topics about the Impulse proboat stuff (which is very awesome and much to learn from there for me)

so by then i was not very happy

now i got a couple of question for you guys

1- i see a lot of you float with the Impulse 31 v2 on 5s but what do you guys run ?

1x2s and 1x3s or a single pack 5s and can somebody show me the mod to run a single 5s on the battery tray ?

2- wanna go 5s but did see i need to upgrade the prop -> can you guys give me a link tot the right prop ? which i need
    i wanna go as fast as i can with the stock motor and esc but still keep it safe

3- i did order the straight turnfins from which Darin came up with !! was or is that a good choose and will i see improvement with this mod ?

4- i see you can go dual rutter on this one , but did also see its for the Impulse v1 so will that conversion fitt a Impulse v2 also ?

5- do i need another motor mount bracket ?

also understand that i need to upgrade the motor connection bullits connectors to bigger ones

the first thing i did today was buy a better motor coupler which is on his way now to my country

also i order the bigger bullits and wanna go for dual rudder conversion

from here i will be happy to hear any advise tips or other good stuff

i will be happy to hear from you guys with any advise or tips

i did run it 3 times on 6s with stock setup and its crazy fast but a little overkill in my opinion
    so gonna take it to 5s with a little modding

for now thx for reading this topic (great forum with great info and projects)

kind regards

mosfet
    the netherlands

Hello.

I also run my original Stock impulse 31 v2 on 5s. 1x2s 5200mh 30c and 1x3s 5200mh 30c and it fast enough. Stock prop and everything is Stock. Its must faster than the 4s batteries.
    I have 2x3s but i havent try it yet on 6s because im afraid to burn somthing up, after a Google search its looks like the impulse v2 will run fine on a Stock boat if you use Stock prop but im not sure..

Any advice i can give that it will work Perfect on 5s and it more fun to drive on 5s than 4s.. So maby the best way is to keep it Stock on 5s to not get trouble..

The dealer there i buy my boat says it will run fine on 6s if i keep the Stock prop on and not change it to a bigger..
    I will also like to drive it to 6s but its looks like its a risk..

impulse 5s.JPG

i converted mine for a single 5s lipo

graupner carbon props do very good 40- 42 mm ,used the 42 with the stock motor on 5s ( was about the limit for this small motor)

properly tuned driveline = it's like on rails ,chop or flat it's glued to the water!

greatings from belgium
    Last edited by iop65; 07-29-2013 at 05:57 AM.

Make sure the stock prop you have is sharpened and balanced-- it will add speed and reduce vibes. The Graupner CF props IOP65 mentions are nifty since they don't need to be s/b. Not quite as fast and will break more easily, but they are very low cost and way better than the stock plastic props that come on some of the boats.

On the 5S, you can do it either way. If you switch to bullet connectors you can connect the lipos directly into each other in series and get rid of the harness.

Chief

THX for your time and advise guys

can somebody hit me up with a link to the prop that i need and can be used on 5s with stock esc and motor? would be cool

still got a few questions left like : i see that many PPL are using a better and improved motormount , so whats up with that ? do i need that on 5s or keep the stock mount ?

@iop65 -> thx for the help en photo (you rock) my Belgium neightboor :-)

@chief -> also you many THX for the advise

@waterproof -> thx gonna do the 5s thing now instead of 4s

i put in a leopard 3674 1700 Kv ,it is heavier then the stock motor and i'm a carefull guy so i put in a mount also that supports the motor at the back
    and it looks better ,deanodysed the ugly orange

i did see that you got another motor iin that picture you showed me

looks simply amazing

still if someone can provide me the correct links to bigger props which will fit i would be pleased

the stock one is cracked and i want a bigger one for the 5s setup

i did see this topic is in the wrong section and its for the v1 and this thing i own is a v2

sorry

iop65 thx for the great info in your PM

You rock

Quote Originally Posted by mosfet View Post
    i did see that you got another motor iin that picture you showed me

looks simply amazing

still if someone can provide me the correct links to bigger props which will fit i would be pleased

the stock one is cracked and i want a bigger one for the 5s setup

Hi,
    The boat is awesome on octura x642, but that will probably kill the stock ESC eventually on 5S (I'd recommend a 180A ESC). If you are going to stay with stock ESC on 5S, you need to use a smaller prop-- octura x440, and maybe octura x442 (but check temps and just be prepared if the ESC dies. If it were me I'd give the x442 a go, but it depends how much you want to protect your stock ESC).

If you can get your props sharpened and balanced then use these

Octura x440 (ok on stock ESC)
    http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...?prod=oct-x440

Octura x442 (risky on stock ESC):
    http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...?prod=oct-x442

Octura x642 (if you upgrade the ESC):
    http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...?prod=oct-x642

The OSE store Graupner props are all 1.4 pitch (same as octura x4's):

K-series 40mm (like octura x440)
    http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...od=grp-2317.40

K-series 42mm (like octura x442)
    http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...od=grp-2317.42

Chief
    Last edited by BHChieftain; 08-02-2013 at 09:31 AM.

THX Chief

i did order the Graupner 42 MM k serie prop

also sold the stock esc and bought a second hand but brand new 120a Seaking esc

did bought the OSE straight turnfins from here and the stronger flexshaft

i did repleace the stock bullit connectors for 5,5 mm and did a motorcoupler

planning to run this on 5s

i am building it up now

1091016_451497678281824_1123295114_o.jpg

maybe a mod can redirect this topic to the correct one -> the impulse v2 section ??

looking good Marco!

what is the size off the "tube" (krimpkous) you put on the ec-5 connectors?

Quote Originally Posted by iop65 View Post
    looking good Marco!

what is the size off the "tube" (krimpkous) you put on the ec-5 connectors?

its from a Box from Conrad electronics with all kinds of sizes

the one i used says innersize is 18 mm and 90 mm long
    i cut those in half and put that on two ec5 connectors

1292107_454851904613068_1794695797_o.jpg

i did send you a pm with the link to the set
    Last edited by mosfet; 08-27-2013 at 01:48 PM.

thankx Marco!

no prob my Belgium friend

I know this is kinda old but I thought I'd post it anyway because I was looking for info on running the Impulse v2 with 6s on stock prop. First starting, I read a lot of mixed reviews on the v2 and 6s and nothing really concrete to allow me to make a decision on whether to run it or not. So I just went ahead and put the 6s in there and let it rip. I did a couple of laps with the thing wide open and kinda expected the thing to blow the hatch off. I brought it back in and everything was just slightly warm. So I threw it back in the water and did it again and everything was fine. To make a long story short I've been running 6s on stock for a couple weeks and I've had no issues. I do grease the flex shaft before every run. The thing scoots like a bat outta hell. There's no comparison to 4s. I put the 4s in there for my wife to run it. I'm not being a smart @ss but I do.

Hell yea, mine scoots with 6s too. I did melt a battery connector though. I just switched out the 1800kv for a 1500kv to hopefully cool her down a little bit. I'm going to run it with a 42x55 grim racer prop.

Impulse 31 v2 bone stock on 6s lipos for a few months. Not a single issue. This little s.o.b. Sits on the prop at 60mph out of the box.

I use 5s and m445 never problems

Protect your equipment make all your calculations to maximum voltage (cell 4.2v), Motor and Revolutions per minute (no more than 50,000 rpm)

Since each cell is 3.7v (medium = nominal) a 4s LiPo battery has a medium voltage of 14.8v,
    a fully charged voltage of 16.8v and a maximum discharged voltage of 12.0v before damage occurs
    a 6s LiPo battery has a medium voltage of 22.2v
    a fully charged voltage of 25.2v and a maximum discharged voltage of 18.0v before damage occurs

LVC 3.4v/cell cut off no 2.9v o 3v before damage occurs
    STO 3.85v/cell

no load
    the first minute

4s 2200kv x 16.8v = 36,960 rpm max
    5s 2200kv x 21.0v = 46,200 rpm max is too much
    6s 2200kv x 25.2v = 55,440 rpm max bearing damage

4s 1500kv x 16.8v = 25,200 rpm max conservative

5s 1500kv x 21.0v = 31,500 rpm max = 4s 1800kv x 16.8v = 30,240 rpm max
    6s 1500kv x 25.2v = 37,800 rpm max = 5s 1800kv x 21.0v = 37,800 rpm max

6s 1800kv x 25.2v = 45,360 rpm max is too much
    Last edited by mannytx1; 01-28-2014 at 09:27 PM.

question : will a Octura x642 fit a the normal flexshaft !! BTW got the stronger OSE one in mine

working on a new set up for the summer

hit me back please