Thread: Impulse 31 v2 on 6s? Its running fine on 5s

Default Impulse 31 v2 on 6s? Its running fine on 5s

Hello.

I have run my Impulse 31 v2 stock boat on 1x7,4v lipo and 1 11,1v lipo, both on 5200mh and its run about 65km. Temperatur of the esc and motor is cold enough, around 40celsius i guess but the engine cables/contacts is a bit hot right after run, so hot that is pain to hold on but after 2 minutes on the table it is cold again, i remember the engine cable almost was so hot when i run it on 4s.

I have a extra 3s so i can run it on 6s but it is safe? The boat and prop is stock. With 5s Its have about 33000rpm, 6s will do so its up to 40000rpm, isent that to much?

What could i upgrade to get it to run safe on 6s?

Happy boating everyone :-)

40k is pushing it, best is to keep it under 35k. You could use the miss geico 1500kv motor on 6s.

Chief
    Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk 2

I understand, the only upgrade is to order a miss geico motor with lower kv to keep the rpm under 35000.
    1500kv on 5s will go around 27000rpm. How fast could it be? Now its running on 33000 but lower rpm on a geico with 6s will go mutch faster?

I Wonder the differences between 1800kv motor and the 1500kv motor. The geico v2 is not 6s compatible? The geico has smaller esc?

Or could the geico run on 6s out of the box?

Anything else i need to upgrade to not get heat or other problems before i try 6s?

I must say the differences between 4s and 5s is big, mutch more power and more fun with the same runtime :-)

the 1500 kv is realy a 1600-1650 rpm motor
    i tried the proboats 1500 and the 1800 on 5s ;prefered the 1500:more torque and less heat and ampdrawn

but if your got to buy a new motor ,maybe upgrade to a larger can-motor 3660 or 3674 4-pole ?

I see, maby i buy a Geico motor and try it on 6s..
    What can happend if i try the boat Stock setup With Stock prop on 6s?
    I have 2x3s batteries ready to run but i think its a risk, someone says that it will burn and a couple of guys says that it will run fine if i dont change out to a bigger or better prop..

If the 1500kv motor is the way to go on 6s then i think i want to order one :)
    What would be fastest between a 1800kv vs 1500kv top speed?

I run my Impluse V2 on 6s almost all the time. I have about 15 runs on 6s with it.
    Great Lakes Raptor Excursions
    www.RunRaptorRun.com

Thats good, 15 runs is a lot :-)
    Maby the people with melt problems have push it to hard?

The proboat says it should work on 6s. Is it garante to the boat if something melts when its run on 6s?

I also think its to push it a bit to hard on 40000rpm.
    What could be needed to change out if something goes wrong?
    Only motor/esc or the battery packs could take damage too?

If its only the motor or the esc then its ok to drive it on 6s, but if i need to change out all components, then im not want to risk it and almost pay for a new boat :-)
    Last edited by waterproof; 07-30-2013 at 09:47 AM.

Ran my impulse v2 on 6s and 4s tonight.

Water was. Choppy from wake boarders but the garmin stated these speeds.

Partner s225 prop
    Traxxas 3s 5000mAH x2 -46.1mph went airborne every time at full throttle

Dinogy 2s 5000mah x2- 36.9mph at full throttle.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
    Great Lakes Raptor Excursions
    www.RunRaptorRun.com

I have try it on 6s now and i must say im impressed! Im on the forth time on the 6s setup and it runs Perfect!
    I could not understand why it should be problems to use 6s on this boat.
    The esc and the motor is not mutch hotter than 40celsius 2-3 more than Your hand, the ec3 connectors is not to hot, i can say its maby 40-45 celsius right after run.
    Battery packs is not over 40-45 celsius.

The only thing that is hot when i touch it is the motor Connectors cables, this is also hot when you drive With full trottle all the time on 4s or less the time on 5s so maby its normal that the motor cables is hot? Is it a way to get the cable to be cooler?
    How hot can the motor Connections be before it could melt?

I will say the horrizon hobby have the right way to say that this boat runs fine on 6s! Its run very fast and smooth, nothing issues at all.

My setup is:
    Stock boat out of the Box
    2x 5200mh king max 11,1v 30c
    Timing low
    trottle 100% linear
    sharpned Stock prop
    Motor cables is tight up together like it is right out of the box.

I never keep the trottle to full speed longer than maby 5-6 Seconds, its move fast so it no need to run longer than that on full trottle :)

I will never go back to 4-5s, so the time will show how long the motor can handle 40000rpm.
    How will the motor be when its done/damaged after a lot of use? Will it just go slower?

BHChieftain: do you know if i get lower or higher speed if i buy a Geico 1500kv motor to keep the rpm lower?

I cant see it being much of a difference in speed,but it'll run cooler.i'll let the experts chime in.

Hi,

If you use 1500kv motor the rpms come down and the speed will come down a bit, but it will be more reliable. It will be just like running a 1800kv motor on 5s (1500kv on 6s = 1800kv on 5s = 33.3K RPM).

Here's the deal on 6s on the stock Impulse-- there are 2 issues which affect reliability:

1) proboat's new 80A esc is rated for up to 22.2volts which *is* 6s on the volts side, but it is still only rated at 80A continuous on the Amps side. If you stick to a small prop there should not be any problems with the ESC (if it were me, I would drop down to x440 on stock esc. Actually, if it were me I would change the motor to 1500kv as well.). What happens is people start to prop up, and that pulls more amps, and kills the ESC. Even on the stock prop, when the boat jumps out of the water which unloads the prop and then re-enters the water, you still get a massive amp spike which can burn out the ESC. This has nothing to do with normal running temps, so while you think you are fine because the boat is running cool enough, you can still have a failure due to the spike. This is why most people who want to run 6S get 180A rated ESCs (spike headroom).

2) 40K RPM causes a lot of wear on bearings and strut. Any out of balance component vibe issues are magnified. Just need to be prepared to replace bearings in the motor and strut bushing more frequently. The problem is it is kinda hard to spot a motor bearing going out before it goes out, and when it does the motor binds and amps spike and everything burns up really fast (so to answer your question, no, the motor won't run slower, it will just all of the sudden burn out when the bearing goes out. This also sometimes takes out the ESC and can get expensive).

Note, anytime an ESC burns up it can result in a boat fire which can destroy everything so that is another reason protecting the ESC is important.

Bottom line-- can you run 6S stock? Yes. But there is a tradeoff with the reliability and lifespan of the boat. If you read thru the forums, you will find many people who burn up their ESC on 6S. Hard to find people who have burned up the ESC on 4S.

So it depends on what you want out of your boat-- some people are on a tight budget and want a really reliable boat. Others are ok with the risk and really want to toss the boat around on the water and don't care if something gives out.

If you want a boat that is 6S, fast prop, AND reliable, you need to upgrade the ESC and use a lower KV motor paired with a larger prop (which can get the same speed as more RPMs with a smaller prop). Those that run really high RPMs AND a large prop are usually SAW competition boats that are highly tuned and have a lot of pre-planned maintenance (including tearing down motors and replacing bearings on a schedule before they fail).

Somebody on OSE has a Sig tag line which I really like (I forget who it is): cheap/fast/reliable-- pick 2!

I hope this helps,

Chief
    Last edited by BHChieftain; 08-05-2013 at 11:04 PM.

100% correct!

Thanks a lot for your time to explane how it works!
    The answer is that the stock impulse 31 could run on 6s, just like you can tune a car to example 50% more hp without to replace to stronger parts, its works but the question is how long :)

I think its scary that the motor suddently can get into fire when the parts is finish for work. I dont want to waste money on it so maby i should stick to the 5s setup.
    If i understand you right then its work fine on 6s but its a risk when the boat jumps and hit the water again because its draw more amp when that happend?
    And the motor should be replaced/repaired often, do you have no idea how many times it could run on 6s before the motor need to be repaired? Do we talk about 10 Runtimes on 10 minutes pr run or more?

The 1500kv Geico motor is not so very expensive, cost just like a battery pack. So maby the best way is to change out the motor to this and all the risk will be gone?
    Or is it better to run With 1800 Stock motor and 5s?

Quote Originally Posted by waterproof View Post
    Thanks a lot for your time to explane how it works!
    The answer is that the stock impulse 31 could run on 6s, just like you can tune a car to example 50% more hp without to replace to stronger parts, its works but the question is how long :)

I think its scary that the motor suddently can get into fire when the parts is finish for work. I dont want to waste money on it so maby i should stick to the 5s setup.
    If i understand you right then its work fine on 6s but its a risk when the boat jumps and hit the water again because its draw more amp when that happend?
    And the motor should be replaced/repaired often, do you have no idea how many times it could run on 6s before the motor need to be repaired? Do we talk about 10 Runtimes on 10 minutes pr run or more?

The 1500kv Geico motor is not so very expensive, cost just like a battery pack. So maby the best way is to change out the motor to this and all the risk will be gone?
    Or is it better to run With 1800 Stock motor and 5s?
    There is no difference between 1800KV on 5S vs. 1500 on 6S. (actually, 1500 on 6s is technically easier on the ESC since you are feeding more volts and less amps, but don't worry about that...). Both have the same RPM and therefore same speed. So you should pick the motor you want based on what lipo packs you have. If you have 6S (or two 3s) packs, then you should get the 1500kv motor and run the 6S config. If you have lipos that make up 5s (either a 5S or a 2s + 3s), then you should stick with the 1800kv motor and run 5S config. If you have not bought your lipos yet then you can go either way-- try to plan ahead on your next boat so you can share packs across your fleet.

I've standardized my fleet on 4S1P and 4S2P configs made from two 2S1P 5000 packs-- I can use my lipos on all of my boats (except for 1 that is the oddball 3S boat...)

If you set up the boat right and use a sharpened and balanced stock prop, you should get good speed on 1800 w 5S. Strut setup makes a huge difference-- too wet and the boat will go very slow. Too loose and it will run fast but hard to control.

Chief

PS, I meant 1800 kv on my ealier post, not 1900... 1800kv x 5s (3.7v x 5)= 33.3K RPM. I edited my post to fix that.

Quote Originally Posted by BHChieftain View Post
    There is no difference between 1800KV on 5S vs. 1500 on 6S. (actually, 1500 on 6s is technically easier on the ESC since you are feeding more volts and less amps, but don't worry about that...). Both have the same RPM and therefore same speed. So you should pick the motor you want based on what lipo packs you have. If you have 6S (or two 3s) packs, then you should get the 1500kv motor and run the 6S config. If you have lipos that make up 5s (either a 5S or a 2s + 3s), then you should stick with the 1800kv motor and run 5S config. If you have not bought your lipos yet then you can go either way-- try to plan ahead on your next boat so you can share packs across your fleet.

I've standardized my fleet on 4S1P and 4S2P configs made from two 2S1P 5000 packs-- I can use my lipos on all of my boats (except for 1 that is the oddball 3S boat...)

If you set up the boat right and use a sharpened and balanced stock prop, you should get good speed on 1800 w 5S. Strut setup makes a huge difference-- too wet and the boat will go very slow. Too loose and it will run fast but hard to control.

Chief

PS, I meant 1800 kv on my ealier post, not 1900... 1800kv x 5s (3.7v x 5)= 33.3K RPM. I edited my post to fix that.
    Thanks for the answers.
    I have 2x 2s 5200mh and 2x3s 5200mh so i could get 2x5s run on a trip to the lake, or one 4s run just for fun and 6s to get real fast speed :)
    You Wright this: When the boat jumps out of the water which unloads the prop and then re-enters the water, you still get a massive amp spike which can burn out the ESC.

You mean that when the boat prop hits the water again if i have full speed then it take more then 80amp? Do you know if the esc is fine as long as it not burn out or will it take damage over time to run 6s? If i try to not bump and hit the water With trottle then i think it would be fine, the question is if the esc dosent burn out this season, then i could only change/repair the motor to get it in good shape until the next summer :)
    I have now adjust the boat so it not bump so mutch at full speed but on a wave its jumps easy.

Chief

Not necessarily...you need to do a power calculation...it's really not volts versus amps...it's both plus you need to look at the I squared R losses in the wiring and the connectors...

6s is alot for that boat if everything isn't perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Arizonaheat View Post
    Not necessarily...you need to do a power calculation...it's really not volts versus amps...it's both plus you need to look at the I squared R losses in the wiring and the connectors...
    What part of my post are you referring to?
    Chief

The "technically easier on the ESC" part...assuming you have an ESC that can safely handle 6S, you need to figure out the power used by the motor.

Quote Originally Posted by Arizonaheat View Post
    The "technically easier on the ESC" part...assuming you have an ESC that can safely handle 6S, you need to figure out the power used by the motor.
    I agree with that. But all else being equal 6s on 1500kv (from the geico) would be easier on the ESC than 5s on 1800 (from the impulse)--exact same rpm between the 2. But I don't think the difference is meaningful on these configs.

If your prop is too big in either case or if you don't have decent connectors problems will creep up.

Chief

I was talking about savage skidoo's rubber duck rescue boat on 6s

Be careful with 6S voltages...a lot of ESC's "claim" 6S...the BEC will be the first to go...
    JMHO
    I agree with that. But all else being equal 6s on 1500kv (from the geico) would be easier on the ESC than 5s on 1800 (from the impulse)--exact same rpm between the 2. But I don't think the difference is meaningful on these configs.

If your prop is too big in either case or if you don't have decent connectors problems will creep up.

Chief

Support US hobby suppliers

I ran 5s 1p 6000 mah on my revolt for a while with stock motor and 180 esc. It was borderline too much for the boat.

Also, just an opinion. To a certain extent i think over modifying these little stock boats like revolts impulse and spartans is fruitless. You end of having stock equipment that is virtually worthless. When you add the aftermarket equipment time etc... a build or almost ready to run boat would have made more sense.

Its been around 10 times now on 6s with all stock on the boat.
    Im impressed, my experiance is that the motor cable and battery connection is not so hot if you not drive almost on 100% trottle all the time on the battery pack.
    I cant see the problem to run the proboat impulse 31 v2 on 6s.

I understand that how more rpm the motor gets how faster could it get damaged.

40000rpm is a lot but it looks like the motor can handle it.
    The temprature in the water is about 15 celsius. If its run in warm water at a hot day in the us i think you could heat it up if you drive almost at full trottle all the time on one battery time.

Im not afraid for its going to melt on 6s with this boat. I drive carfully and the box says 6s.
    The factory could make the motor cable twice as tick to make a perfect 6s rtr boat but i dont see it as a big problem, but maby its a problem where the weather is much warmer :-)

I run my Impulse 31 V2 on 6s all the time. Have 100+ runs. The only problem I've encountered is the factory bullet connectors aren't good enough for that current draw. I melted a factory solider joint in the factory bullet connectors. I switched them out with the Castle Creations 4.5mm bullet connectors and haven't had any issues since.

Although it may be slight overkill i run 6.5mm on everything even 4s set ups. Check out the new castle 6.5mm bullet plugs on ebay. Very nice.

Traxxas says 6s for the Spartan on the box as well. how many people have smoked that set up? Castle designed the esc and the motor and they will tell you it isn't a reliable 6s set up. There are many variables that lead to melt downs and smoked Esc/ motors. Some people have really thinned props smaller diameters etc... And never have a problem. If you cant afford to take a lick then don't run it on the edge. If you look at the motor battery table on the castle website, almost all of the setups recommend 8000-10000 total mah regardless of 4s or 8s. Running two 4000 mah batteries is at the low end.