Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Miss Geico 24 Upgrade -need help please!

Hello jw....

Im new to ose and seen this post on the mg24 i just finished up a brushless upgrade on mine im running a 1500kv motor 80a esc on dual 25c 2s lipos it runs great, I have noticed alot of cavatation with the prop so naturally went up in size, havent had a chance to run it but was hoping i could get that prop list you had for some reason the attachment wasnt showing up for me. Thanks in advance for any prop advice you can give me as im sure you already know info on this is scarce!!!

Talk to savageskidoo.

Any updates from anyone on MG 24 upgrading to brushless. I'm new to RC boats. Bought my sons this boat and can't get over how nice she looks. Am running 3s Lipo with everything else stock. Runs pretty good but ESC gets pretty hot. Will likely upgrade to brushless ESC and motor so hope to get details on best options. I prefer to keep drive same for now. I appreciate anyone's help for this boat noob

Maybe traxxas titan motor

On 2x 2s lipos I hit 33mph with stock drive set up and a 35mm 3 blade cnc prop. It Runs cool with oversized cooling lines. (one size bigger than stock). I have around 15 runs on her and it seems to be holding up well here is a video of her running. Hope this info helps ya!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_YhGvWFYy8

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ediss View Post
    Any updates from anyone on MG 24 upgrading to brushless. I'm new to RC boats. Bought my sons this boat and can't get over how nice she looks. Am running 3s Lipo with everything else stock. Runs pretty good but ESC gets pretty hot. Will likely upgrade to brushless ESC and motor so hope to get details on best options. I prefer to keep drive same for now. I appreciate anyone's help for this boat noob
    Go pick yourself up the latest rc boat mag. They wrote an article about upgrading an mg24 to brushless. It's all relatively easy if you just do a little bit of your own research.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ediss View Post
    HI -

I have a 24, I got a leopard 3300kv motor and put in a pro boat 45a ESC & (2) 2x2s 5000mah lipos - ALL else is stock. Took it out, first clocked run, 39mph. Next day runs on a choppy lake, 25, 33, 36 mph. Smooth water, I think 39 is repeatable and quite doable long term.

Will be swapping in various props to further test increases in performance. Also have the pro boat 1500kv motor (which comes in the 29) that I will eventually swap in for comparisions sake.

All in all, all parts swaps in this boat are a breeze. I did a motor and ESC swap in about 10 minutes.

tb

With a 1500Kv motor the prop you need to swing to get 40-45mph would be very large and may make it unstable. I mean if you run it on 4S that is...

Are your running the 3300kv motor on 2S2P or 4S1P?
    Nortavlag Bulc

Ray - 4s1p. I have a pr4019 that i just balanced, sharpened and polished - I am thinking that may be good for 2-5mph with the 3300kv... maybe.

Have some marine epoxy coming my way to "blueprint" the sponsons. Also have some balanced/sharpened props coming, prather 230 and 240 (got em cheap).

I am looking to swap out the steerable drive with the mg29 setup (inline, not offset). Having a hard time getting a parts list together, any ideas... anyone?

647 3 blade

Hey they are some big props for that little cat hull,
    A three blade prop may help keep it from torque rolling some and still give good speeds like a x440/3.
    My 32"pursuit mono setup is 4074 1800kv,180a esc, spinning a modded s&b x447/3,
    I run it on 3s,4s,5s,6s and so far it runs pretty good.
    But I am not done testing props yet.

Like I said those big props like the s or b230 and 240 will pull high amps from your esc and cells,
    And may smoke something on you.
    Keep a good eye on temp when testing for one to two minutes runs.

I would like to see some good video's of these cats running from shore,
    In nice saw like runs or in nice oval runs.
    To see how they are handling and riding on the water.
    Also some setup pictures would be good to see for CG lay out.

Quote Originally Posted by tjdabomb View Post
    Ray - 4s1p. I have a pr4019 that i just balanced, sharpened and polished - I am thinking that may be good for 2-5mph with the 3300kv... maybe.

Have some marine epoxy coming my way to "blueprint" the sponsons. Also have some balanced/sharpened props coming, prather 230 and 240 (got em cheap).

I am looking to swap out the steerable drive with the mg29 setup (inline, not offset). Having a hard time getting a parts list together, any ideas... anyone?
    ? ONLY IF THEY WORK

My youtube videos.http://www.youtube.com/user/61manx?feature=mhee

My 24 has a smaller diameter flax shaft - not the same size as the mg29. In order to use any other prop, i need the bigger diameter shaft. outside of the diameter of the shaft, is the 29 shaft the same LENGTH as the stock 24 shaft?? if so, any ideas on where to buy one?

What size is the stock flex shaft 1/8 or .150 ?
    You could use a spacer to use 3/16 props, http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...?prod=ose-1035
    Or mod and up grade the flex shaft to .150 or .187 and cut it to the size you need if it is to long.
    They have the parts hear in the OSE store.
    ? ONLY IF THEY WORK

Quote Originally Posted by lenny View Post
    What size is the stock flex shaft 1/8 or .150 ?
    You could use a spacer to use 3/16 props, http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...?prod=ose-1035
    Or mod and up grade the flex shaft to .150 or .187 and cut it to the size you need if it is to long.
    They have the parts hear in the OSE store.
    Len - I have no way of measuring the shaft, though, I did come across another thread on this site where a user did measure the shaft to be 0.147"/3.78mm. I guess rounding up is in order, which, would make this shaft/my shaft be .150" Isnt' .150" the same size as the mg29 shaft?? Thanks for the link to the spacer. I am thinking that this shaft from Kintec would give me everything I need:

BlackJack29, Miss Geico, Mystic Upgrade Shaft: "Perfectly balanced. Cut to length. Soldered end for better collet grip. Machined drive dog slot. .150 cable x 3/16 shaft. Complete unit with stainless drive dog, jam nut, prop nut and teflon liner. Has a 10-32 thread." http://kintecracing.com/Miss_Geico_Upgrades.html Thoughts??

Sure would be nice if all the parts specifications would be online for these boats.......just sayin.....

Did you look at these posts for any input ?

https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...-17-quot-build
    ? ONLY IF THEY WORK

Quote Originally Posted by lenny View Post
    Did you look at these posts for any input ?

https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...-17-quot-build
    Len -

Ya, no specific part numbers listed nor is that the same boat - everything is different. He had to change his tube, smaller motor can (380), smaller rudder/strut... everything. Nothing applies.

Great little boat. Very stable up to 55mph..I run a .150 shaft with a rudder and tppower 3650 2650kv on 4s, 42mm prop 55mph all day. Ran it on 6s with a 38mm CNC prop and well let's just say it took flight just over 55mph and sank lol..
    Last edited by gr8evo; 03-16-2014 at 11:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gr8evo View Post
    Great little boat. Very stable up to 55mph..I run a .150 shaft with a rudder and tppower 3650 2650kv on 4s, 42mm prop 55mph all day. Ran it on 6s with a 38mm CNC prop and well let's just say it took flight just over 55mph and sank lol..
    55mph all day??? That is hard to believe unless you were boating in a vacuum. not that 55 isn't achievable, but rather, that it could be sustained at all or even have a shred of reliable runs.

Yesterday, I had my 24 at the lake, I did the following:

Hull stock, out drive stock:
    1500kv, 45a esc, composite prop, 4s1p 28.3mph
    1500kv, 45a esc, prb 4019 stainless prop, 4s1p 31.6mph
    1500kv, 45a esc, prb 4019 stainless prop, 5s1p 36.1mph With this setup, I had to ease the throttle or it would flip from a start. water was a little choppy and windy towards the end, I felt like any more than just a blip of full throttle would cause it to flip. my 3s in this setup was fully charged, and, my 2s was nearly depleted so I wasn't working with full 5s voltage. No heat issues at all, caps highest temp was 101 and that was only once. Batteries were adjacent to the motor, basically half way. Interestingly enough, all three setups yesterday, no wah at all. In fact, this boat has never wahhed - weird.

Given the conditions yesterday, it didn't feel like any more speed was reliably possible. Any more kv or volts would have made for a swimming day for me. It's possible to put the batteries more fore thereby holding the front down - I'd have to check. I have a prather 230 and a octura x642 to try, see what gains can be made there. Might have to try a calmer lake, though.

I'm quite peeved off that the HUll & Hatch have been discontinued.... If I only knew this I would have picked one up a few months ago.... Darn you Proboat!!
    Nortavlag Bulc

Quote Originally Posted by ray schrauwen View Post
    I'm quite peeved off that the HUll & Hatch have been discontinued.... If I only knew this I would have picked one up a few months ago.... Darn you Proboat!!
    Ray, you can prob pick up the entire boat for <$100 from ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...co+24&_sacat=0

I got mine that way in December for $90 delivered. It was winter, though....

actually it will run 55mph all day. not 1 but two different boats. me and a friend have a friendly competition going. he runs (using a Garmin) 56mph with stock hull and hardware blackjack 29 esc, leo 4050 2700kv car motor, 4s, with a stainless pro-boat prop. he blows the u-joint if power hard in a turn. i run a rudder with a revolt strut. both boats have no problem running full speed(55mph) for 100+ feet than we run out of lake lol. i was trying to one up him on 6s and that didnt go well lol.

btw- just picked up a used one for 80.00 ready to run of ebay. they pop up now and than.

encase any one wants to know the 4s runs were with spc 2s 6900mah 70c packs.

Default haha

actually it will run 55mph all day. not 1 but two different boats. me and a friend have a friendly competition going. he runs (using a Garmin) 56mph with stock hull and hardware blackjack 29 esc, leo 4050 2700kv car motor, 4s, with a stainless pro-boat prop. he blows the u-joint if power hard in a turn. i run a rudder with a revolt strut. both boats have no problem running full speed(55mph) for 100+ feet than we run out of lake lol. i was trying to one up him on 6s and that didnt go well lol.
    If you hit 55mph, that is going 80.66 feet per second, which, if you can only go 100' before stopping, then you are only going ~55mpg for one second. Though the motor/esc you describe could potentially go 55, your own facts above show that your lake isn't big enough to realistically get to 55mph since you can't go from 0-55mph fast enough before running out of lake. there goes that nice little tale.

wow some people lol. point i was trying to make is we run them back and forth till out of water. your low kv setup is slow. do you think that means everyone combo is slow lol? Tell you what i am leaving for mexico Thursday morning if my friend is willing to go out tomorrow i will vid the date and time from a cell phone, show the gps at 0, tape it in the boat, make several speed passes, just for you lol.

than you can just tell me how i was off with the 100ft coment. lol

i will be the first to say i am new to fe boats. i started last year with a revolt, and got into them more this winter. just started a daytona 36 build. here is a pic of the 24mg and my daytona build(trying for 90+on 7s per side)

My point was to share a 55mph combo for when people read this upgrade thread. You should take notes.
    Attached Images Attached Images

i will be the first to say i am new to fe boats. i started last year with a revolt, and got into them more this winter. just started a daytona 36 build. here is a pic of the 24mg and my daytona build(trying for 90+on 7s per side)

My point was to share a 55mph combo for when people read this upgrade thread. You should take notes.

Yup, I took copious notes on the part where you wrote "i am new to fe boats" thanks breh
    Last edited by tjdabomb; 03-19-2014 at 03:44 PM.

wow some people lol. point i was trying to make is we run them back and forth till out of water. your low kv setup is slow. do you think that means everyone combo is slow lol? Tell you what i am leaving for mexico Thursday morning if my friend is willing to go out tomorrow i will vid the date and time from a cell phone, show the gps at 0, tape it in the boat, make several speed passes, just for you lol.

than you can just tell me how i was off with the 100ft coment. lol
    ya, a 1500kv setup is slow. I wonder how darin was able to get it to 49mph on 4s!!! You know who Darin is??? You know, the guy that DESIGNED the boat!!

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Jordan View Post
    Using a Prather 230, on 4S, I was able to consistently run 46-47mph with the stock system, and I hit 49 at one point. Not sure I'd recommend it on the stock 45A ESC for very long, however. Looking at over 80A continuous.
    Damn.... these stock electronics are SLOW. hahahaha

It was a 29 and not a 24, but you aren't contesting the boat size, just the electronics, but, accuracy isn't your strong point anyway, so, w/e. Take notes though.

Have fun in Mexico, don't drink the water!

Here you go in the wind 57mph..

http://youtu.be/yQfMs11t9Oc

So what does a 29 have to do with anything? You said that running 55mph was a nice little tail. So hows this tail work for you (57mph)?

Thanks for explaining (in so many words) were you land on the food chain. lol

Quote Originally Posted by tjdabomb View Post
    ya, a 1500kv setup is slow. I wonder how darin was able to get it to 49mph on 4s!!! You know who Darin is??? You know, the guy that DESIGNED the boat!!

Damn.... these stock electronics are SLOW. hahahaha

It was a 29 and not a 24, but you aren't contesting the boat size, just the electronics, but, accuracy isn't your strong point anyway, so, w/e. Take notes though.

Have fun in Mexico, don't drink the water!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast