Thread: MG 29 V2 help me!!!!!! Can't get a set up

Default MG 29 V2 help me!!!!!! Can't get a set up

Hi folks,

After sum diagnosis on how my boat is behaving.

Having a bit of trouble with my MG29 and setting it up. The boat is a stock V2 with a s&b x642 prop. Batteries in the vid are 1" forward of the rear of the battery trays.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0Szw...ature=youtu.be

When you look at it from the front, the boat almost runs all the way out the water.

I tried moving the strut up to level with the sponsons (did the strut grind out mod) and angled the prop only slightly down. As it sat it was nowhere near as high as any of the pics I have seen. I then ran the batteries around 2" forward of the rear of the battery trays. This resulted in the back of the boat fishtailing and I could not get to WOT without the boat bouncing from side to side whilst nose high. Sorry didn't get a vid of this.

Will have to wait to try anything, pulled the boat in after a run and found the hull cracked almost half the length of the seam. I have only run about 10-11 packs through it. Great boat but I have to say I am a little disappointed if the hull can't handle a little bit of chop, at most the boat jumped out of the water maybe 4-5" at half throttle in some chop on its last run. Have sent it back for review and hopefully a warranty job.

Cheers,

BJ

you make some tight turns my friend !

this is what i did:

blueprint sponsons , making every corner as sharp as possible
    made the back off the last step/sponson 90° ( still has to test this week if it's making any difference)
    bottom strut 2mm above sponsons ,0° angle

40mm graupner k-prop (5s), only little bounce on very flat water (no bounce when there is chop), hoping that making the last step 90° will give me a perfect MG

ok, may start with pulling the strut up even higher as you suggest. Really didn't do too much testing with it high as it ran soo *!***!***!***!** straight up. And it was a cold day, didn't want to go swimming 10 degC. When I get it back will give it another go

ok, got a new hull on the way, and get to keep my old one!!! Fantastic customer service from my LHS and Horizon!! Either way I have been gluing my split hull back up so I can do some testing in the mean time. I have just cut some more material away from the strut adjuster. Currently have the bottom of the strut carrier 1.5mm above the bench top, running a very very slight downward angle. Will test it tomorrow if the weather permits and post a vid.

The boat will run pretty much on the last set of sponsons, so that looks right to me. But if you get the strut set right you should be able to get rid of most of the bounce especially in the choppy water conditions. Send pics of the strut setup, that will help.

I would start by increasing the negative angle on the prop shaft.

If you blueprint the last 2 sets of sponsons to get a sharp 90degrees like iop65 says, that will change ride attitude of the nose quite a bit.

Turning that sharp will lead to fishtailing esp. if choppy so I don't think you have the prop up too high...

Chief

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374679922.972020.jpg about 1.5mm with slight down angle

What!!!!! They sent u a new hull for free!? O.o I didn't think that was under warranty since that's an user caused accident!
    I ran my mystic with the batteries even with the wood thing next to the motor and strut at level with sponsons, (with x642) and she ran like a beauty!

Not a user accident, it just split at the join from normal use. Bloody impressed.

U didnt flip it or anything!?

Nah only 2 low speed flips on turns about 6 runs before the split appeared.

You definitely need more negative angle.
    Chief

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk 2

Just got back from a run with the prop set as in the picture, had the batteries mounted about 3" forward of the rear of the trays. There was less out of control side to side bouncing and the up down on the front had really slowed down. Seems like the boat ran a little slower tho? Will post vid tonight. I did find that the boat sat flat and seemed glued to the water with a slight amount of rudder input.

May try the same set up and move batts back a little

The further back you can get the batteries, the less bounce you will have, and use the negative angle of the prop shaft to counter the nose lifting too high and causing a blowever. The front of my packs are about 1" behind the front of the motor.

One other thing you should do... take a bastard file and round the bottom of the rudder so there are no flat edges. The flat bottom of the rudder creates lift which also complicates the picture.

Chief

Will a higher prop/more down angle reduce top speed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The higher the strut the looser/faster the run.

The down angle balances the nose--the higher the nose then the boat is riding on just the rear of the sponsons-- it will go faster but if the nose is too high it will blow over-- got to find the perfect balance point! Which is half the fun!

Chief

Quote Originally Posted by Ozzypatrol View Post
    ok, got a new hull on the way, and get to keep my old one!!! Fantastic customer service from my LHS and Horizon!! Either way I have been gluing my split hull back up so I can do some testing in the mean time. I have just cut some more material away from the strut adjuster. Currently have the bottom of the strut carrier 1.5mm above the bench top, running a very very slight downward angle. Will test it tomorrow if the weather permits and post a vid.
    more downward angle

in turns , the rudder creates lift
    that is why the bow comes down( also because of lower speed) and boat runs more flat

you should find a way to create the same amount of lift in the straights

took it out today, moved the batteries back around to around 2" forward of the back of the battery trays. Ran a heap quicker with only a slight bit of bounce. Had to take it easy as we went out mid storm so winds were strong and any flip would result in a long cold swim.

Ok sound good.

Where the video's ?

But no 8 second or 21 second video's that is just a teasing us.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozzypatrol View Post
    took it out today, moved the batteries back around to around 2" forward of the back of the battery trays. Ran a heap quicker with only a slight bit of bounce. Had to take it easy as we went out mid storm so winds were strong and any flip would result in a long cold swim.
    ? ONLY IF THEY WORK

My youtube videos.http://www.youtube.com/user/61manx?feature=mhee

Yeh they a uploading, on boar with the go pro so that slowed it down a little tho

first vid, rear facing. Forgot it was recording while I bumped the mates boat in so its a little long winded
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gavj6...ature=youtu.be

in choppy water like that , i should run flat without bouncing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pu01m3hgH9U

Second vid,

Yeh wind was the biggest issue. Doesn't look too bad in the vid but it was blowing 35-40 Kph

running batteries flat to (3.3V)

http://youtu.be/jazJmUe2EQ4

didn't get vids today but had the strut up around 2mm and a little bit more down angle, (around 1mm diff from front of strut to rear). Got it out and seemed ok. Front of batteries aligned with front end of motor(drive end). When it came back in, found a heap of water sprayed around the boat and turned out I had a little too much tension on the stuffing tube and it pulled away from the strut. The tube must have become removed from the strut towards the end of the run as there was no wear marks on the flexshaft - Lucky!!!. Anyway got it sorted and got back out. Bouncing seemed to be a lot higher and really really slow, speed was back up almost to what I first had. When the boat got a little kick from some surface ripple it managed to basically float on the prop and rudder and speeds increased maybe 10kph - although the boat was very unstable and twitchy. I am assuming this means I can bring the strut up even higher and add a touch more down angle with the batteries in the same location.

a couple of more from the other day

http://youtu.be/r8_b7HJwsgE

one below is still uploading, will be ready to go in 20 mins

http://youtu.be/Ju_LcxZnjBA