Thread: 58" King of Shaves gas to FE conversion build.

Default 58" King of Shaves gas to FE conversion build.

I did this write up in the normal build forum last summer, then tonight I find the Venom/Atomik forums, so I figured I would post in here as well. I will start of by saying it seems like the gas verison was hit or miss. I got the miss version. I never got it to run right. Replace carb seals with teflon first, then muffler broke so I upgraded to a tuned pipe. Then my strut came apart and I replaced the flex shaft, stuffing tube and strut with WHH gear. After all that, I still couldnt figure out that crap 26cc that mine came with. Then I saw some videos on youtube on the FE conversions, and decided thats the way to get this hull moving how I want. The only stock items on this boat are the hull, radio box and rudder mount.
    Upgrades:
    Leopard 5698, 910kv using FDM mounts
    Castle Creations Hydra Ice 200HV esc
    Futaba FASST 3PM-X, Hobbico digital high torque steering servo
    Dubro push/pull steering rods
    Handmade lexan radio tray
    RCR dual pickup rudder
    1/8" (I think) lexan windshield thats bolted in and siliconed sealed.
    Warehouse Hobbies 1/4" flex, aluminum stuff tube, 1/4" strut with the floating propshaft custom cut down to 3/16ths.
    Every hole sealed with epoxy or silicone so it's water tight.
    Custom water lines and new exits.
    Attached Images Attached Images

More..

What batteries are you running on ? And what prop?
    I'm in the midst of putting a 2028 in an Atomik 58.

2 Dinogy 4s 5000mah packs for 8s. Prop is Octura x452. I mount the lipos in front of the motor on the tunnel. Works good so far. If you are going to put some $$ into the Atomik hull, I suggest you seal up the hull incase you flip it. Silicone in the fake exhasut pipes, plug the canopy air inlet, the 2 round vents in back between the pipes, and maybe replace the windshield with something thicker. I rolled mine when it was gas, and the water knocked part of the flimsy plastic windshield loose from the glue that held it in place. I love the hull, but does need some work to be FE ready. It sure is fun once it is.

Ready for the water. OSE 8mm bullets on all connections. ESC to Motor wires are 2" shorter, added the Castle Cap Pack, and added a jumper (white wire) so I can run the lipos in the sponsons if I want. Theres a lot of debate on the best place to secure the lipos. A few say on the tunnel in front of the motor, some say in the sponsons. Only time will tell for me on location. Im not a huge fan of having the cap pack on top of the esc, and the esc on top of the motor, but it make for one compact little unit.

New set up works flawlessly. Tried a new oval shaped pond today, and was totally let down. Theres a fountain in the middle of it. No biggie...I thought. Made a slow pass to make sure I was getting proper waterflow in the cooling lines, and my rudder got hung up on a cable in the water. Went to other side, and theres another cable. I think these are tension lines keep the fountain in place? They run right in the middle of the pond, cutting it in half, so I could only run in a small part of this already small pond. I had about 150 ft to get on it, slow down and turn. Never got to to hold full throttle for over a second. I got some video too, but I had my GoPro set on wide angle, and it just doesnt look right. My day was a bust, but atleast I got out. Im heading to a bigger lake later this week, and I already set my GoPro set to the proper settings, so watch for a video by weeks end.

Some pics running on 8s

Thats so awesome! I been looking for a used KOS to do the same exact thing.

Look like it is riding nice,
    Where is the video's of that big cat in action ?

Quote Originally Posted by WhatRLaws4 View Post
    Some pics running on 8s
    ? ONLY IF THEY WORK

My youtube videos.http://www.youtube.com/user/61manx?feature=mhee