Thread: Just picked up a modded spartan

Default Just picked up a modded spartan

Hey guys i have been trying to pickup one of these boats for awhile. I had a friend at work said his son had one for sale so i went and looked at it and picked it up for 200 bucks. The hull is i good shape some blemishes in the graphics but I dont really care about that. Inside the boat is what I liked it has a Leopard Hobbies 2200KV motor and a 200A ESC and a Castle Creations BEC. It also came with aftermarket turn fins (don't know who makes them) very sharp and a extra set of trim tabs mounted to the back of the boat. The only down side to the hole deal is the steering servo was broken and he was running the stock plastic prop. I will get some pics of the boat when i can and post them up so you guys can look at it and let me know what you guys think. Its the blue boat.

What batteries are you running with that 2200kv motor? The steering is easy to to traxxas website and you can get the ex

What batteries are you running with that 2200kv motor? The steering is easy go to traxxas website and you can get the exploded view and just find the part number for it. I bought a second hand blue spartan as well and was missing servo and the horn.

im running dual 3s 3400 30c batteries. I ran it for the first time yesterday and I didnt get it wide open but I know it was running in the hi 50s low 60 range. the big problem I am having is the steering. I dont have alot of throw in the servo and my steering rates are maxed out. this boat will not turn. im using the same servo that came in the boat. I dont understand.

Quote Originally Posted by agentorange View Post
    im running dual 3s 3400 30c batteries. I ran it for the first time yesterday and I didnt get it wide open but I know it was running in the hi 50s low 60 range. the big problem I am having is the steering. I dont have alot of throw in the servo and my steering rates are maxed out. this boat will not turn. im using the same servo that came in the boat. I dont understand.
    Dude, Im having the same exact problem with mine. Out of the water, the servo seems to work just fine and the rudder turns its full range of motion. However, in the water running at fast speeds, its just not responsive at all and I have to let off the throttle and release the steering knob, then turn again in order for it to respond. Im just replacing the servo with a high quality metal geared high torque servo and hoping it fixes the problem.

Well your problem sounds a little better than mine I dont think that I am getting the throws I need in or our if the water. I can tell you this I am not lacking in the speed department. I just cant figure out this problem

Do either of you have a stronger servo to try?
    We did it with a Bang!

Cats Are Where It's At!

im using a digital high torque servo. it does it out of the water. just does not seem that I have enough throw. I am using the longest servo horn I have. just don't understand the problem. I have checked the throws on my other boats and I get the rudder to move about 45 degrees. on this boat its like 25-30 degrees. This is the strangest problem to have I just can't figure it out.

Is it a hassle to pull one out of your boats that you are not having a problem with.

process of elimination
    We did it with a Bang!

Cats Are Where It's At!

ya I was thinking about that. I will try it tomorrow and see what happens

Sounds like the servo isn't strong enough when up to speed. A lot of force generated by water. I just built a delta force and am having a similar problem, it doesn't turn at speed. The throw is fine on the bench and while trolling. I'm assuming that my servo isn't strong enough as I just had it laying around. It's a futaba something old, something I just found in the pile. So that's why I'm getting a high torque replacement.

I dont know i havent tried the boat out with the new servo that i put in. I just was looking at the throws on the bench and it seems to be the same as the one I took off. The stock servo that i took off just didnt turn the boat at all under low speed at mid to high throttle it steered ok but it just seems like this boat does not want to turn. Im just used to my cats turning on a dime. Is this normal deep-vee handling?

Post some pictures or a video so we can see what is going on.
    That motor will not last to long on 6s,
    It a 4s and 5s tops motor.

And no, Mono will do u turns and 180* if you are not careful.
    ? ONLY IF THEY WORK

My youtube videos.http://www.youtube.com/user/61manx?feature=mhee

you just pick this boat up on cl? i was just looking at it the other day lol. congrats

Acutely I found this on ebay and contacted him since he was jax. he meet up with me and I picked up the boat. I did look at Craigs list. its a good boat just had a lot of little things wrong with it that I have been fixing. I will try and post a video of it and show you guys what I am talking about.

My lazy a$$ still hasn't gotten around to buying a high torque metal gear servo to test..... Poor boat is just sitting on it's stand collecting dust.

Are you having the same problem? I changed out the servo just havent had the time to get it into the water to test it out yet.

Ok guys an update on the steering problem. I went to the lake today after work and ran the boat and everything seems to be working much better with the new servo that i installed. Now my only problem is I have to change the cooling lines because one broke while driving the boat and flooded the hull. I got it back to shore under power before it got deadly but it was close.

Good to hear nothing got water fried!!! And good to hear the stronger servo is working. One more thing, do you have a lot of expo in your steering setup in radio? Sometimes that makes a boat feel really sluggish if its way up? Just a thought. I don't use much in a boat (unless saw stuff) but friend does and I thought his boat didn't turn, then he said just turn it more, I didn't like that but to each their own.

Agent what time did you go out. I was out there for a lil bit. Pming you my numbe.

I didn't have any expo in it that was one of the things I checked before I took the servo out. I thought like you maybe there was but they were all set to zero. h8onit I went to the lake at Academy Sports. I am going to try and go to the one off Ricker road on Friday after I get off work. I get off at 3 so I should be there around 330-345.

ok cool just give me a shout when youre headed there and Ill head up there I stay around the corner from the one ricker rd

ok sounds good. I forgot that im going to go look at a new truck but I will text you and let you know if im going to be able to make it out there or not. It might be later in the afternoon.