Thread: White nylon washer needed?

Default White nylon washer needed?

Everytime I take out my flex shaft I forget about that white nylon washer between the strut and drive dog. It either falls on the floor, or I forget to put it back in place when sliding the flex shaft back in.
    But now I have lost the washer for good, as it fell down the sink when I forgot about it being there once again.
    So the big question is: do I actually NEED that washer there? I always leave a 3 to 4 mm gap between the strut and drive dog, so the washer basically "free floats" in between that gap.

Thanks!

I don't use the washer at all, and you should leave a gap between the drive dog and the strut, the cable "shrinks" under load---sure you already know that. Just grease your cable/shaft real good.

Hi,

Thanks, yes I leave the gap, like I said. So I won't be using the nylon washer there anymore.
    Something else: on the other side inside the boat, should the teflon liner touch the motor coupler, or should there be a gap in between there also?
    I ask this because I've had some grease splattering/leaking coming from the teflon liner on the inside of the boat.

No, the Teflon liner should never touch the collet/coupler, grease there is normal, I put a piece of silicone fuel tube over to prevent water coming up thru the stuffing tube.
    See picture:DSCN0329_026.jpg , if you don't like the grease flying out there, I cut an epoxy measuring cup half, and tape it down over there. Here is how it looks like:DSCN3028_2488.jpg

Thanks for the insight!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    Thanks for the insight!
    Happy Boating my friend!

Two more questions:

1. What would be the best prop upgrade?
    I'm now with the stock prop, a Leopard 3674 1900KV motor, Seaking 180A and 4S LiPo. Occasionaly would like to be running 6S.

2. Just out of interest: but what about running the (stock) flex shaft completely WITHOUT the teflon liner?

Thanks again!

1. Do not run on 6S. 5S may be okay.

2. If you run without a Teflon liner you will need a smaller diameter brass tube.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

What would be the problem with 6S?
    Thanks.

1900KV + 6S =
    ? ONLY IF THEY WORK

My youtube videos.http://www.youtube.com/user/61manx?feature=mhee

So you're saying 1900KV is too high of RPM (42180 no load) on 6S?
    So 5S would be safe?

Weird thing is the stock motor is only 100KV less at 1800KV, and that one doesn't seem to be a problem running 6S.

You are still rolling the dice with 1800kv and 6S. For a reliable setup you want to try to target 35K or less RPM. Some people get away with it, but it is a crapshoot...

If you are looking for replacement washers and have a LHS that sells Traxxas RC cars, the Bellcrank nylon bushings #2545 fit well. They are a bit on the thick side, but you can just sand them down thinner if you want.

Chief

Thanks.

Around 35K - is that with or without load?
    Following the math it should be considered 'safe' to go (and stay) with 5S then with my 1900KV.

35K as determined by motor KV * Volts.
    I like to run my boats in the 25K-35K range.

Chief