Thread: Repair or replace damaged, split hull

Default Repair or replace damaged, split hull

My good ol' Mystic hit a dock last summer and I caved in the tip of one sponson and split most of the front half of the hull. I know anything fiberglass can be repaired, but the hull is too small for me to get inside where I'd need to do most of the repairing so it would look good again. I will repair this hull anyway since I have a second set of running gear (hop-up stuff) I want to try out, but I'd like to have one hull that looks really nice to put my mostly-stock running gear back into.

I checked out the replacement Blackjack 29 hulls at Horizon Hobby. The item description says hull and canopy, but no other details are mentioned. I was curious as to whether or not the hull had the stuffing tube or any other hardware in place. (I posted that question on the Horizon product page over three months ago and they never answered!).

I REALLY liked the way the Mystic hull handled and performed... enough so that I would spend the dough to get a replacement. I would reinforce and foam-fill the new one to try and make it more durable (not that I'd expect ANY hull to survive a dock strike undamaged).

Has anyone purchased a replacement hull from Horizon?

Take it easy,
    desmobob

Yes I just recently got one about a week ago. Does come with a stuffing tube, but not much else.

Quote Originally Posted by Megabiker98 View Post
    Yes I just recently got one about a week ago. Does come with a stuffing tube, but not much else.
    Thanks for the information. I found one in stock at a hobby shop in IL and got it for under $160 with shipping and I started work repairing the damaged hull today. One way or another, I'll have at least one boat in the water very soon!

Thanks again,
    desmobob

Quote Originally Posted by desmobob View Post
    ...I started work repairing the damaged hull today.
    My Mystic was pretty messed up... the tip of the left sponson was smashed and hanging in pieces, and the hull was split along the outside on one-third the length of the left sponson, back down and cross the front, and up the inside of the right sponson to the tip.

I got out the Dremel, some 3/4-ounce fiberglass and the ZPoxy finishing resin and started working on it the other night. It's going very well, and was a lot easier than I thought. An 80-grit flap wheel for the Dremel made it easy to remove the gelcoat from the damaged areas. By fiberglassing one small section at a time each night, it was surprisingly easy to get the smashed sponson back into reasonable shape. One more night of sanding and glassing and I should be ready to get out the Bondo and finish her up, ready for paint!

And my new hull is due to arrive on Thursday. I'll be boating by this weekend, one way or another!

Take it easy,
    desmobob