Thread: New user, Need basic info.

Default New user, Need basic info.

Hi Folks!

The names BJ, all the way down in sunny old Western Australia. I have just purchased the MG 29 (looks like V2 but was in the old box), it came standard with the 60A ESC, programmer and a spare prop, Go figure?? everything I read said otherwise.

I have had previous exp with RC's had a modded HPI baja 5Bss, couple of nitro cars, had a boat about 15 years ago on 1 x NiMH. Couple of twin heli's. I'm a Sparky by trade, and bloody spun out at the technology in these new HV electrics.

Now to my boat.... Its all stock out of the box, Running 2 x 2S40C redback 5000mA batteries. Bloody quick!!!!! Anyway only got 2 runs in before having to go back to work, basically made sure everything was tight, charged the batts and thru it in the water. I have been reading and searching through this sub forum and google but need some basic answers:

-Has anyone got a diagram labeling the parts of the hull? ie. transom, sponsons etc... (have searched google images and nothing)
    -I want to make the boat reliable, looking at replacing the plastic prop with an S/S one, I have read alot of guides and can't make much sense of it all.
    -Any tips or minor mods I should do to the boat asap to make it run better, more efficient or ensure the boat has many years of service?

Once I get back home I will post a vid up of how the boat runs, hopefully get some feedback on what it is actually doing, if it is doing it right or needs improving. It handles like a dream runs almost all the way out of the water at full stick. The only thing I have done so far is move the batteries about 1/2" forward from the back of the battery trays.

Last one, back when I had my last boat (15yrs) it was suggested filling plastic zip bags with styra foam and placing inside the hull at the bow for floatation, is the required with the mG?

Cheers,

BJ

Hi BJ,
    Read Darin's Race Prep thread (sticky in this section forum), it has a lot of good tips.

Also this thread has some good tips:

https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...t-modification

On props, I'd recommend a sharpened and balanced x642 provided you upgrade your connectors to 5.5mm bullets. If you want to run the stock connectors, a sharpened and balanced Proboat Stiletto prop is good (that's the stock prop for the Stiletto, the Impluse31, and the Blackjack29V2).

Chief

brilliant, cheers mate. Yeh the x642 was what I was looking at, seemed to be the most common recommendation. I am assuming the prop will increase speed or give more acceleration over standard, from the suggestion to upgrade all plugs?

Hi,
    Going from the stock plastic prop to a sharpened and balanced x642 will net you close to 10mph.

You'll have more amp draw and the stock connectors can overheat and de-solder. But the stock motor and ESC can handle that prop on 4s no problem.

Cheers
    Chief

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk 2

I have been running MG V2 with x642 propeller and 6S (took ESC from Blackjack), no problems with stock connectors.

Just took it for a run today with the b&s x642 Rc chief sent me...... Far out! This thing hammers now. Picked up another set of batteries with a 65c rating. Still running deans and stock connectors and no heat build up in components or connectors. Now I am getting some good pace out of it I can now see the need to tune the strut angle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374384720.621737.jpg

Cracked hull at the seem, didn't hit anything running on slightly choppy water most air it got was around 6" a couple of times. Pretty disappointed the hull is soo weak

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk