Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2014 Nationals thoughts.

Default Canopy

Terry,
    Your canopy layout looks ok, however as great as it would be to have the trailer on
    the water, I think it works against the view. My trailer is even higher that the
    canopy you had this year. I would suggest either using the upper 2 tiers or place the trailers
    further to the ends. In my case I could go 20 feet further left than where I was.
    I can place the couch inside the left side of the canopy if you are worried about
    the lizaard lounge....lol.
    Just a thought to accomodate the view that you are trying to achieve from the deck.
    Your thoughts,
    Ken
    TenShock Brushless / Pro Marine
    NEU Motors / Rico Racing/ Castle Creations
    2023 NAMBA & 2018 IMPBA FE High Points "National Champion"

Ken, is your trailer 10ft tall? I could put trailers up against the tents I suppose.

The reason for the gap is that I wanted a lane. The Kabota thing, although well intentioned, isn't going to be viable if we go 60 people deep. I will be pushing to let cars through in the morning. In, unload, out the other end. I think I can sell the Elks on it once they realize how much work it will be. None of this taking 30 minutes to get yourself setup. In, dump your gear, out, next car.

Maybe if I rotate the drivers ramp again it will clear up more space. Maybe the trailers on the upper tear and the canopies on the flats?

trailers on the ends near where ken was and where the Wi guys were leave the middle open for canopies and tents so there is visibility.
    We call ourselves the "Q"

you might have to limit guys to 1 10x10 also if there are that many racers???

I'll shuffle it again and see what I can come up with. The problem with the ends is that it's not flat. Plus on the right side by the gazebo we need open for the barge. The location that Kens trailer was this year would be inside my tent layout. My layout has tents about 25' beyond the location Ken was in. My tents on both ends terminate where the ground starts to climb out of the valley. If you follow. There's a nice flat just beyond the pines but that's a lllllong way from the pond.

The way I have it now there's only room for each racer to have a single table up to 52 racers. I suppose the kids don't really need a whole table so some will end up with two. Fred and I will probably set up closer to the stand. Budget as is would be in the $2600 range. Might simply be too little space at that $$$. If we just do tents for individuals like we usually do they'll have to be packed in tight. Doable. Maybe I need to stop worrying about how to get each guy to his pit and make it their problem. Provide some wagons and tell them to have at it. We survived on the beach at Spring Mill in 09 with no loading zones.

haha Still would all need to be approved by our club. No dictatorships in MMEU. Been there done that. I tend to dream a little big and then drag some kicking and screaming along for the ride.

Guys, keep the ideas coming. Their all just ideas at this point. None of us are so arrogant as to believe we can't improve or hear a better idea than our own. I started this thread so we could all bounce ideas off each other. FE has some of the sharpest people I've ever known in it's ranks.

I need to get the Elks to chop down that miserable mostly dead tree by the gazebo. It's right in the way.

Mikey, should we check with all the kids to see what they think about the kids spec everything idea? It doesn't suck. Most of us own the boats already that they can run.

just thinking if we did the kids P-Limited thing with sport hydro,mono,offshore, cat 4 classes one each day we could award a Kids highpoints champ to how cool would that be say 15 and under and like mike said if you run in the kids you cant ran the counter part
    When all else fails floor it

Hey guys, what a great race that was !!! Now for next year, what about power for well over a hundred chargers!! or do we bring our own generators . They would have to all be Honda's as the rest of them are just to noisy, we would be yelling at each other for a week just to be heard with ruptured vocal cords at the end of it all....

Cheers, Jay. race on

Great point Jay. Something to talk to the Elks about. If they would allow us access to power we can build panels.

...and test it out first under load....
    Scheduled lunch breaks if possible would be nice...

Thanks for this years memories!

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    Great point Jay. Something to talk to the Elks about. If they would allow us access to power we can build panels.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Be careful with this. NAMBA's Kids rules are set up that they are all winners. I don't think it's a good idea to put our adult desires into their racing program.

If you have Al Waters CD'ing this event, he will absolutely have an opinion about this.

Quote Originally Posted by fas View Post
    just thinking if we did the kids P-Limited thing with sport hydro,mono,offshore, cat 4 classes one each day we could award a Kids highpoints champ to how cool would that be say 15 and under and like mike said if you run in the kids you cant ran the counter part

Power would be an absolute dream. However, (1) 20amp circuit (assuming they have one) is probably only good for ~2000watts. Charging (2) 6S packs at only 5amps is already at 200watts!!

And whisper quiet generators need to be mandatory for those racers bringing their own power. Probably 30+ generators will be there...humming for 5 days straight.

Funny. We probably burn more fuel at FE races than nitro races!

not true about the 20 amp circuit, with my 2000 watt generator I was charging 4 6s packs and 4 4s packs at 13 amps each. I use a 100amp and 2 45 amp power supplies from 1 30amp circuit in my home and routinely run 6-8 chargers charging at 10+ amps each without any issues.

Quote Originally Posted by D. Newland View Post
    Be careful with this. NAMBA's Kids rules are set up that they are all winners. I don't think it's a good idea to put our adult desires into their racing program.

If you have Al Waters CD'ing this event, he will absolutely have an opinion about this.
    Should we send them home to their moms the other 4 days? Get them out of the way of the real racers?

no just no high points is what I think Dave was talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by madmikepags View Post
    not true about the 20 amp circuit, with my 2000 watt generator I was charging 4 6s packs and 4 4s packs at 13 amps each. I use a 100amp and 2 45 amp power supplies from 1 30amp circuit in my home and routinely run 6-8 chargers charging at 10+ amps each without any issues.
    In my scenario above, I was only at about 200watts with (2) 6S batts. (I think you may have thought I had an extra 0 on the end??)

Anyhow, Mike's charging scenario:
    4*25.2v*13a = 1310watts
    4*16.8v*13a = 874watts
    is at the theoretical maximum (about 2200watts) for a single 20a circuit, and he's only one guy!! The feasibility of provided power for 50 guys is starting to look bleak, unless we rent some HUGE welding generator or something??

I thought he was anti-multiple kids classes. The way the rule book reads, if a kid runs in the "Kids R Boaters" class they can run in NO other class at the nationals. Hence our interest in having more than one option for them. Not sure I give a crap what the rule book says on this. We'll do what's best regardless of the book.

The high points for kids I can live without. Heck any points for kids I could live without. Let them race heat to heat for fun. I suspect that's the point of the kids class. Get them on the water.

yes thats probably the best at the nats every kid gets a trophy for competing and they race each heat for a "victory" no points awarded. I'm pretty sure Ava will be competing with the big boys nexrt year, she really wants to run LSH and scale!!! I have created a monster.........I don't know if anyone saw her drive my LSH and scale after the races but she impressed me, just don't know how she'll be in traffic.

Not sure I give a crap what the rule book says on this. We'll do what's best regardless of the book.
    "And the worm has turned for you."

Platoon

Haha I was just razzing Dave about how that when your part of the NAMBA hierarchy that you tend to defend the rules like a lion protecting it's cubs.

As long as your willing to accumulate ideas.

1. Need larger launch dock. Minumun 6 boats need to be launched at one time for the 30 sec clock. If not and you need to launch boats early in order to get them in the water, you need then to rule that those boats park behind the start line prior to the 30 sec clock or they had better be milling. At the race many boats went in early and parked on lane one up by bouy one. Not good.

2. Need to clarify the mill lap rules rounding turn 3 and 4. Boats should be making a radius around these turns. Going out towards the offshore bouy and slingshotting into the lanes prior to the start line is troublesome.

3. Minumun 10 boats make a class. IMO opinion time to shake the dust out of the rug. Flamesuit on!

4. Minimum 4 heats and preferably 6. I know - wishfull thinking.

5. Bouy hits should be point deductions. NAMBA's got this wrong and IMPBA has it right. Earplugs in!

6. Ties should should end in a run off and not by heat times. Another NAMBA wrong and an IMPBA right. Good racers run fast enough to stay ahead of the pack, they don't run for fast times. Times should then not be a determining factor for an outright win. Steel toed boots on!

Very glad to offer input. Doug
    Doug Peterson
    IMPBA 19993
    www.badgerboaters.com

Doug,

1. Agreed
    2. Yep. We need better contest directors. No offense to anyone.
    3. bite me
    4. 4 will happen. 6 will take another week of racing
    5. It's discretionary. I called some hits and let some go. IMPBA also only charges 50 points for those calls. Not enough IMO so score to NAMBA.
    6. We've done it that way before. Not gonna happen at a nats. Plus, the fast guys that know a hot time might be the difference will run the hot laps. Because they can. Doug Junior knows how many points you have before he launches his boat. If a tie is likely he lays one down. That's how the really fast guys do it.

That reminds me. Is anyone ready for 40 entries in LSH? I could see that happening.

Haha I was just razzing Dave about how that when your part of the NAMBA hierarchy that you tend to defend the rules like a lion protecting it's cubs.
    LOL That's not right is it David??

LOL Terry

3. Can't bite ya. I'm not swinging both ways these days.

4. Could happen if the dust got shook out of the rug. 3 boats make a class - OK - I'll bring 3 tug boats, 3 sail boats and 3 wind up's. Going to be a lot of classes. Iv'e seen where 3 boats show up so a one boat heat takes place for a record. Good stuff!

5. I agree. The point system IMPBA uses has faults. Still better than NAMBA. Iv'e got a better point system layed out. Nobody cares.

6. Funny - There are many guy's that can lay down a lap as good as Doug. J. Most choose not to when they are in the lead. By upgrading to the more current popularity of 4-6 heats, the ties become way more infrequent. So it may be a mute point. I'll for sure have a different approach.
    Last edited by DPeterson; 07-12-2013 at 08:55 AM.
    Doug Peterson
    IMPBA 19993
    www.badgerboaters.com

4. The only classes at MI that goes 3 boats might be 1/8 scale and open hydro. Let's make it at least 3 flights make a heat.
    5. Sacred cow. I care. Unfortunately, getting gas and nitro to even listen is not going to happen.
    6. Most? Not sure how you can know that. Buass, Newland, Sims, Twaits, PAGS..........they're thinking about it. 4 rounds is required for a nats. That might help.

Doug

3)as for biting Terry I will have a talk with him that's my Job LOL

4)We are talking about the min boats right now and we are more then likely looking at 6 to make a class because as Terry was saying I can see 40 boat P-Limited mono, Sport, and offshore just because we had 23 boats with only 34 people and I Look for this to go 50 people if we get lucky so 40 boats would not be out of the question
    if you think about it 40 boats 8 boat heets, retrieve time and race time that would be 8 min per heet start to start 5 heets 4 rounds that's that's over 2 1/2 hours of the day for just one class just to let you know at the Michigan cup on Friday we ran avg of 11 min per heet not to fast but we still ran behind on Saturday and sunday we were at 10 min a heet but we took a 30 min lunch also

5)not a battle I am willing to take on at this time

6) myself I like to see runoffs for ties( as there were heets at the MC that pit guys didn't get times and it could of made the out come different
    When all else fails floor it

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12