Thread: Charging before a race?

Default Charging before a race?

How long before a race can I charge up my batts? Overnite, 24hrs, 2 days? I use a variety of batts: Turnigy, Blue lipo, Hyperion, Flight power. Thanks for the info! Tom

Sure why not?

It seems like its better not too leave them fully charged for any length of time but I cant see a few days doing any harm. I think its when you get into a week or more that you need to set them at storage voltage.

I'll charge packs the night before a race but not any earlier than that.

I raced in april of this year with batteries I charged in October of last year, and won all 12 heats I raced in, and no puffing or IR changes in packs. If I had to charge the night before a race I would never sleep. Keeping packs charged for weeks at a time is no big deal as long as they are stored at a good temperature between 60-85F' I know this is not recommended by sellers or manufacturers but I've been using Lipo's for over 9 years now and have stored them all different ways fully, half, totally discharged and really have had no problems. I actually used a pack last week thet I think I charged over 2 years ago (it was a 2 cell car battery but it worked fine). Do I highly recommend that you charge your batteries 6 months before a race???? NO!!!! but if you are racing Fri, sat, sun, there is nothing wrong w charging ur batteries the weekend before when you have the time. I routinely travel around with a couple of boats cars and planes and have all charged packs in my truck, If it's a hot hot day I'll take my batt box into work or out when i get home but I always have stuff charged, I hate waiting to PLAY!!!!!!
    We call ourselves the "Q"

Quote Originally Posted by madmikepags View Post
    I raced in april of this year with batteries I charged in October of last year, and won all 12 heats I raced in, and no puffing or IR changes in packs. If I had to charge the night before a race I would never sleep. Keeping packs charged for weeks at a time is no big deal as long as they are stored at a good temperature between 60-85F' I know this is not recommended by sellers or manufacturers but I've been using Lipo's for over 9 years now and have stored them all different ways fully, half, totally discharged and really have had no problems. I actually used a pack last week thet I think I charged over 2 years ago (it was a 2 cell car battery but it worked fine). Do I highly recommend that you charge your batteries 6 months before a race???? NO!!!! but if you are racing Fri, sat, sun, there is nothing wrong w charging ur batteries the weekend before when you have the time. I routinely travel around with a couple of boats cars and planes and have all charged packs in my truck, If it's a hot hot day I'll take my batt box into work or out when i get home but I always have stuff charged, I hate waiting to PLAY!!!!!!
    I agree, charge 'em when there dead, run 'em when you're ready. Within reason of course, I store them for the winter if I won't be running them.