Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Preferred rc radio Futaba or Spektrum or ?

Default Preferred rc radio Futaba or Spektrum or ?

Curious to which radio you prefer in your FE boats, Futaba or Spektrum or other and why?

I have the Spektrum DX2S and use MR3000 and MR200 receivers in my boats. I've never been able to to feed an antennae wire through the hull, up the antennae tube, so I just route the two wires in the hull. I do experience occasional drop-outs with my CF Zonda Cat. Otherwise, they work very well and Spektrum MR3000 receivers seem more water resistant then the MR200.
    The Futaba Tactic system that came with my Motley Crew I use with a rescue tug. The receiver is down in the hull and even at great distance, the tug always responds.

I swapped from a dx3s to a airtronics mt4 for my cars as there was the issue of brown outs with savox servos and spektrum.
    The mt4 is so much better and faster. But know starting to play with boats again i am having range issues with the mt4 and i have about 4" of ariel out of the hull.
    Same area with a dx2 and mr200 i have no issues.

Seems to be the hot topic of the month!
    I used Futaba on my land vehicles and those were the days when FM was the rage, so it's been a while since I used Futaba. Loved them, never an issue even with an AM system.
    Since getting into FE, I have only used Tactic and Spektrum, interestingly enough, they both brown out at the same spot where I go, with the Tactic being faster to re-establish communication. Another observation with the Spektrum: I find the Spektrum will take a moment sometimes when I first connect the batteries to the ESC. You need to wait like 5 or 6 sec. before any signs of life ( RX light or rudder twitch) would appear.
    I like them both but I do prefer the water resistance ability of the MR3000. It is potted and encased in epoxy. The MR200 has conformal coating and is less water resistant. I always wrap the Tactic in a tiny zip lock bag that is intended for madicine. With the Spektrum I do it both with the antanna inside or one in and one out per the instruction.
    Recently I got an Airtronics MX-3X from my LHS, they were on sale and I put one in a CF hull, worked flawlessly as well, then I used my Flysky GT-3B in another CF hull, guess what? it too worked like a dream.
    Bottom line is you need to feel comfortable with the equipment you are using, and I think alot has to do with budget and trust. I have witnessed racers using the Flysky GT-3B with utter confidence, any still some people would not touch these units.

Cool

I ran a Futaba 4PK FASST for several years, zero issues and great features. But it was destroyed in a car wreck, and I replaced it with a Spektrum DX3R PRO. I see no difference in control, no "brownouts", etc. I run the antenna outside all my boats except for two. I had tried Tactics in them but had spotty control, the MR3000 receivers ended that. Really, the only notable difference I could see between the top-end Futaba and Spektrum was the price.

BTW, AFAIK Futaba does not make the Tactic radios.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

I was told the new futaba fhss sytem works even better than the fasst sytem over water. The recievers are less money also.

Perhaps, but my FASST was flawless to over 1000 feet of range with never a failure. Hard to improve on perfection. Maybe it is "better" because it is cheaper than the FASST...

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

I use the 4pl with the fhss system in all my cars and boats.
    I have never had any issues and I have tested carbon boat without antenna outside with no problems.
    And the recievers are 1/3 of the price:)
    But over here, the gas guys say they have blackouts with it.

Carbon fiber and 2.4ghz doesn't work. Of course you are going to have brownouts. It doesn't matter what radio you have. You have to get the antenna out of the carbon fiber. That's why helicopters use multiple satellite receivers.

Edit:
    Combine that with the fact that water's natural frequency is ~2.4ghz and you need up with a situation where the signal is being blocked or absorbed.

I use futaba 3 pm-x, this thing can be had for 170 bucks on ebay. I have run quite a few 2.4ghz radios near a police station which is adjacent to a huge powerplant, radios do some wacky things to say the least. The futaba never a single glitch I sometimes drive the boat as far away as possible in shallow water near the shoreline to test the radio, my eyes fail me before the radio.

I love the Futaba 3PM. Not one glitch in five years using the 603FF or FS. I got mine used on Ebay.

I use a DX3s on land and sea and a DX8 in the air. I am all Spektrum. I do however use a Tactic system in my rescue boat without any issues. The Tactic systems are becoming more popular in land, air and sea. They are a great value for sure.

I think you guys are also using the term "brownout" incorrectly. A signal lose and a brownout are 2 completely different things. A brownout is when the the voltage to the rx dips below the safe threshold typically around 3.5v or so. Signal lose is just that, lose of signal. You can lose signal w/o experiencing a brownout, you also can suffer a brownout w/o actually "feeling" a lose of signal. A brownout is notified by the rx flashing (spektrum), a signal lose you may not have a flashing rx. Spektrum makes a log reader that will display the actual number of holds (failsafes) as well as signal fades.

3. Q: Is it true that Spektrum systems are less tolerant of low voltage?

A: All Spektrum receivers require at least 3.5V to operate normally. Most servos
    cease to operate below 3.8V. Using multiple high-voltage servos, however,
    with an inadequate power supply can allow voltage to momentarily drop below
    3.5V. This will cause the receiver to “brown out” and reconnect.All recently
    manufactured JR and Spektrum 2.4GHz receivers feature QuickConnect
    technology that will reconnect the system within a quarter of a second should a
    brown out occur.
    Just wanted to mention that!

- Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet
    "It is easier to be wise for others than for ourselves"

Quote Originally Posted by Fluid View Post
    Really, the only notable difference I could see between the top-end Futaba and Spektrum was the price.
    Well... and the fact that the MR-series RX's are water "resistant" (same as water-proof... but without the legal liability to keep the marketing department happy... )
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

Quote Originally Posted by tlandauer View Post
    Seems to be the hot topic of the month!
    I have witnessed racers using the Flysky GT-3B with utter confidence, any still some people would not touch these units.
    +1 for the Flysky GT-3B. Bought it from Hobbypartz, modified it, and flashed the firmware per the RCgroups thread on the subject. Super capable, low cost, and so far it has been bulletproof.

I got a Futaba 6EX as I favour stick radios and the 6 channel plane radio is cheaper than the 3 channel car one for some reason, likewise the RX costs less. I have been very happy with it and have had no problems, however if I was getting into 2.4 from scratch now I would go for Multiplex or Hitec's offerings as it uses a very similar frequency hopping protocol to FASST and now they have dual antenna RXs the radio link is top notch, the RXs are cheaper, and you can not beat Multiplex sticks for smoothness in my opinion.

The Spectrum Marine receivers have proved unsuitable for self-righting monos, when upside down with the aerial under water the DSM2 link is often not solid enough to stay linked and the MR200 and MR3000 take a lot longer to re establish a link when it self rights than the cheaper AR6200 RXs that come with the DX6i radios commonly used here, I know several people that bought MR series RX and then resigned them to the spares box, replacing them with an AR6200 they have waterproofed themselves.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

Quote Originally Posted by NativePaul View Post
    I got a Futaba 6EX as I favour stick radios and the 6 channel plane radio is cheaper than the 3 channel car one for some reason, likewise the RX costs less. I have been very happy with it and have had no problems, however if I was getting into 2.4 from scratch now I would go for Multiplex or Hitec's offerings as it uses a very similar frequency hopping protocol to FASST and now they have dual antenna RXs the radio link is top notch, the RXs are cheaper, and you can not beat Multiplex sticks for smoothness in my opinion.

The Spectrum Marine receivers have proved unsuitable for self-righting monos, when upside down with the aerial under water the DSM2 link is often not solid enough to stay linked and the MR200 and MR3000 take a lot longer to re establish a link when it self rights than the cheaper AR6200 RXs that come with the DX6i radios commonly used here, I know several people that bought MR series RX and then resigned them to the spares box, replacing them with an AR6200 they have waterproofed themselves.
    This is very informative. Your knowledge with the behavior of the MR series in a Self-Righting mono is not shared widely here since these hulls are not that popular in the States. I am also reassured by ( although not in a gleeful way ) the fact that they do take longer to re-establish link as I seem to be the only one saying that.

I have several monos with flood chambers on mr3000 and mr200 RX and if they just roll they stay linked but if I sub the boat they will break the link and can take up to 15seconds to relink. But I really like the water resistance so that keeps me on the spektrum tech.

(But my helis are futaba all the way!)
    Chief

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk 2

I had one of the older Spektrum radios. I had issues with limited range. I sold it and bought a Futaba Fasst. The Futaba has worked great with no issues. That being said, I will stick with Futaba. However, I know others who own the newer Spektrum radios and like them. I think that either radio would be a good choice today.

I had one of the early spektrum 's only one course where there was a dead spot for a lot of people and i even used it in a carbonfiber boat too. I am looking forward to using the DX3C I have recently bought
    "Our society strives to avoid any possibility of offending anyone except God.
    Billy Graham

I used a Futaba 3PKS up until recently when I had problems calibrating a pair of AS26 -150BL Evo ll esc's to it. Before that thou I never had a single glitch or range problem. A few of my friends use Spektrum and have had some minor range problems, but nothing major.

I have now upgraded to a 4PKS-R and calibrated them to the above mentioned esc's without a problem, also the dual esc mixing option works flawlessly.

Richard

i run the spectrum dx3r pro and mr3000 in all my boats never had any problems at all...how come u cant run a wire about one inch out of the boat?
    MY RETIREMENT PLAN?????.....POWERBALL
    74 vintage kirby clasic hydro, pursuit mono, mg, 47'' mono, popeye hydro...

I use the Spektrum DX3S with MR200....A good system and the reason I use MR200 receivers is their lower cost, as I run quite a few boats and they suit my needs ....for one or two boats, I would buy the MR3000.

Douggie

I use a futaba 4pl and it works flawless Everytime in my boat and I race trucks with it also has ridiculous range search YouTube there is a video on range between 3 or 4 controllers and futaba has the best range. Airtronics would be the next best choice but futaba is a bit cheaper
    miss geico 29,revolt 30,villain ex,summit,scte,8ight

I use an airtronics m11x with 92744 receivers. They don't say waterproof but it says in the specs that they're good for boats. I'm almost willing to say they are waterproof besides the bind hole. I covered it up with a little bit of hatch tape, and I have had absolutely no problems. Best connection that you can get besides the new M12... IMO

Quote Originally Posted by NativePaul View Post

Does anyone else use 72-75 mhz air radios on the water. Is this a safe option?

For years I ran 75mHz Futaba rádios with zero issues,then stuck to the PCM and since the release of the 2,4Ghz no way to go back,but I see no problems to run those frequencies with a radio working fine.Gill
    GO FAST AND TURN RIGHT !
    www.grsboats.com.br

Darin, I have no affiliation with Spektrum so I can say it......they're waterproof. After a narley blow over I lost a hatch and had the batteries dragging behind the boat with the boat full of water. Drove it to shore before it went down. Cleaned it up and raced it in the next heat with the same RX. Try that with a Futaba.

You can make your boats water tight but it you have a breech on race day and have no extra RX's on hand well......bummer. I guess you can bag em but less than convenient.

I use the Turnigy gtx3 from hobbyking. thing is awesome. i have yet to modify anything on it. the range is farther than i care to run my car away from me or my boat for that matter. at the price point its unbeatable to me and the receivers are $6. i believe it is the same as a flysky mentioned above.

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    Darin, I have no affiliation with Spektrum so I can say it......they're waterproof. After a narley blow over I lost a hatch and had the batteries dragging behind the boat with the boat full of water. Drove it to shore before it went down. Cleaned it up and raced it in the next heat with the same RX. Try that with a Futaba.

You can make your boats water tight but it you have a breech on race day and have no extra RX's on hand well......bummer. I guess you can bag em but less than convenient.
    May I ask which one were you using? MR3000 or MR200, both of these are my all time favorites, I had a MR3000 under water for more than 30 minutes, no issues, my curiosity is with the less expensive MR200 one, it has conformal coating but not potted like the MR3000. Anyway, thanks in advance.

Darin toled me that the mr200 is all I need for what I run
    "Our society strives to avoid any possibility of offending anyone except God.
    Billy Graham

Quote Originally Posted by JimClark View Post
    Darin toled me that the mr200 is all I need for what I run
    Jim, thanks, that is great to know!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast